If Lee diverts us do we go to Bermuda?

Kitty Ellas Mom

Just wanting to plan ahead a little re packing. I'm on the Sept 19 sailing of Caribbean Princess 10 day departure from Brooklyn.  Is Bermuda the most likely place we'd be rescheduled to if they have to redirect us? I really don't know but I've heard about Bermuda cruises becoming Canadian ones. Thanks for any info. Just wondering if I should pack more beach stuff. I'm also wondering if we'd be unable to embark from Brooklyn but I know that is very TBD. 

I mean if it shifts enough that it wasn't going to Bermuda but was hitting the Canadian ports instead. I follow the NOAA site all hurricane season but this is the first time I'll be on a cruise in this area so maybe I didn't know the right way to ask. The question is, where else might we be routed to if they can't cruise up the coast of New England and Canada? I  realize cancelation is also possible.

That's a tough one to call. Current models show it heading straight north, cutting you off from Bermuda where it will be just off the west coast of Bermuda next weekend and continuing northward toward our Maritimes heading straight for Halifax sometime during the week of the 18th. So a complete re-think of the itinerary to head southwards and/or to Bermuda is possible, the PVSA notwithstanding.

NOAA shows this as at this morning

cone graphic

I can tell you that last year our Canada/New England trip on the Enchanted was completely disrupted by the old remnants of a hurricane (we barely saw any bad weather) but we simply sailed around instead of diverting to another port. Instead of 5 port days, we only had two, with THREE extra sea days

• Like 1

Thanks. That makes sense. I'm honestly ok with whatever (except very rough seas might make me unhappy). It's my first cruise and I just want the experience. Right now our itinerary has only 1 sea day so a few more would be ok. I just hope the sailing happens because I've rebooked 3x since 2019, twice for covid and last year for family emergency. 

• Like 1

IMO, cancellation is exceedingly unlikely. But the cruise itself could keep its original itinerary or a variation thereof, could head south, could go --??.  We are in the same situation on 9-14, and will just plan to be prepared for wherever we go. Will pack a fleece plus a pair of shorts.  I don't expect to be notified until the evening before, if then; could be after we board.  But, again, I do not expect a cancellation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

IMO, cancellation is exceedingly unlikely. But the cruise itself could keep its original itinerary or a variation thereof, could head south, could go --??.  We are in the same situation on 9-14, and will just plan to be prepared for wherever we go. Will pack a fleece plus a pair of shorts.  I don't expect to be notified until the evening before, if then; could be after we board.  But, again, I do not expect a cancellation.

Agreed, the only way I could see a trip out of NY being cancelled was if the storm was actually too close to the port to prevent the ship from leaving, and Lee is not going to be anywhere near New York. Logically, the best bet would be revised itineraries that stay close to the US East Coast but far enough away from the storm, visiting places like Boston, Newport, Norfolk, etc as we were supposed to have on our CNE trip last year. The only issue I could see was whether the ship would be allowed to bypass Canada entirely due to the storm and stay up and down the US East Coast for the duration, technically violating the PVSA. I believe there are provisions for that, so time will tell whether it is necessary. Please all report back after your trip to let us know what the ship's crew decided to do re your itinerary.

Also, FWIW, when our trip lost 3 of the 5 port stops due to bad weather last year, Princess comped up all some OBC while we were still on board, then gave us all a 35% refund in the form of an FCC.

• Like 1