CCL still charging for 3rd or more entrees?

DrSea

Does CCL still charge for entrees #3 or more? I haven't sailed with them for a year since they implemented that policy, but I didn't follow up if CCL has reneged or made additional changes.

I checked their website and did a quick search on here and didn't see info on it. 

Thanks

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/dining-room-dinner

Yes.  It's still listed as $5.00 on their site, but it's kind of hard to find it. The last line on the page.  You may have to click the same link again about half way down the page.

What are my dining options?

Guests may choose from three different dinner seating options. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free.

Assigned Seating - Early Dining and Late Dining
This dining option offers guests a pre-set dining time for the duration of the cruise as well as the same table assignment each evening in the Main Dining Room. Guests who choose this option will not be able to reserve 'Your Time' open seating once on board.

'Your Time Dining' Open Seating
'Your Time Dining' is offered fleet wide.  Guests are seated on a first come, first served basis depending on party size and in most cases, are accommodated within 20 minutes. Advance table reservations are not accepted. Guests using Carnival's HUB App can check-in for 'Your Time Dining' ahead of time or check-in when they are ready to go. The App will alert the guest when their table is ready as well as the table number in the dining room displayed on the App screen. All guests must be present in order for the party to be seated. The table will be held for 10 minutes. 

Dinner Time Options

Assigned Seating
Early Dining

Assigned Seating
Late Dining

Open Seating
'Your Time
Dining'

Domestic Cruises **

6:00pm

8:15pm

5:30pm - 9:00pm

Alaska Cruises

5:30pm

7:45pm

5:15pm - 9:00pm

Europe Cruises

Australia Cruises

5:15pm – 9:00pm

Transpacific Cruises

** Carnival Celebration, Carnival Jubilee and Mardi Gras: Early Dining is 5:30pm and Late Dining is 7:45pm; Your Time Dining is between 5:30pm and 9:00pm.

Dining times are subject to change due to conflict of time with port stays or other scheduled activities. Accurate times are listed in the daily 'Fun Times'.

At time of booking, guests will be able to confirm their preferred dining choice. If their preference is not available, they may confirm an alternate time and be waitlisted for their preferred choice - there is no guarantee a waitlist will clear. When possible, waitlists will be cleared prior to the sailing and guests will be notified by email. Parties traveling together who are waitlisted together will be cleared on the same dining time.

Cross-referencing bookings does not guarantee parties will be eating together. They must be confirmed on the same dining time to ensure they will be able to dine together.

For those guests who choose Early or Late dining, the assigned dining room and table number will be printed on the guests' Sail & Sign® card which they receive when they check-in on embarkation day.

In addition, guests may opt for casual bistro dining in the Lido Deck Restaurant or dinner in the elegant Steakhouse Restaurants serving fine quality prime steaks and other dishes in an intimate, upscale atmosphere; as well as Cucina del Capitano®, a casual Italian restaurant. Other dining options offered are The Chef's TableBonsai Sushi, and Ji Ji Asian Kitchen®. Please note, specialty dining options have an additional charge. To see if your ship features these options, please click here.

Parties greater than 8 guests may need to be accommodated at several tables and the wait can sometimes be more than one hour. We highly suggest that parties of 8 or more guests choose an assigned seating to assure sitting together at one table or several tables close together.

NOTE:  Menu items (excluding Steakhouse Selections) are complimentary in the main dining room.  Guests can order a second entrée and keep in mind they can also request half portions if something looks too enticing to pass up.  If a third entrée is ordered, a US$5 charge will be assessed.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

A 3rd lobster is $5 now I've read. Seems reasonable. 

that's overpriced, the Elegant Night lobster is pretty terrible 😛

(Only entree on our 6-night Magic cruise that I didn't like, incidentally enough)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Yes.  It's still listed as $5.00 on their site, but it's kind of hard to find it. 

What are my dining options?

Guests may choose from three different dinner seating options. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free.

Assigned Seating - Early Dining and Late Dining
This dining option offers guests a pre-set dining time for the duration of the cruise as well as the same table assignment each evening in the Main Dining Room. Guests who choose this option will not be able to reserve 'Your Time' open seating once on board.

'Your Time Dining' Open Seating
'Your Time Dining' is offered fleet wide.  Guests are seated on a first come, first served basis depending on party size and in most cases, are accommodated within 20 minutes. Advance table reservations are not accepted. Guests using Carnival's HUB App can check-in for 'Your Time Dining' ahead of time or check-in when they are ready to go. The App will alert the guest when their table is ready as well as the table number in the dining room displayed on the App screen. All guests must be present in order for the party to be seated. The table will be held for 10 minutes. 

Dinner Time Options

Assigned Seating
Early Dining

Assigned Seating
Late Dining

Open Seating
'Your Time
Dining'

Domestic Cruises **

Alaska Cruises

5:15pm - 9:00pm

Europe Cruises

Australia Cruises

Transpacific Cruises

** Carnival Celebration, Carnival Jubilee and Mardi Gras: Early Dining is 5:30pm and Late Dining is 7:45pm; Your Time Dining is between 5:30pm and 9:00pm.

Dining times are subject to change due to conflict of time with port stays or other scheduled activities. Accurate times are listed in the daily 'Fun Times'.

At time of booking, guests will be able to confirm their preferred dining choice. If their preference is not available, they may confirm an alternate time and be waitlisted for their preferred choice - there is no guarantee a waitlist will clear. When possible, waitlists will be cleared prior to the sailing and guests will be notified by email. Parties traveling together who are waitlisted together will be cleared on the same dining time.

Cross-referencing bookings does not guarantee parties will be eating together. They must be confirmed on the same dining time to ensure they will be able to dine together.

For those guests who choose Early or Late dining, the assigned dining room and table number will be printed on the guests' Sail & Sign® card which they receive when they check-in on embarkation day.

In addition, guests may opt for casual bistro dining in the Lido Deck Restaurant or dinner in the elegant Steakhouse Restaurants serving fine quality prime steaks and other dishes in an intimate, upscale atmosphere; as well as Cucina del Capitano®, a casual Italian restaurant. Other dining options offered are The Chef's TableBonsai Sushi, and Ji Ji Asian Kitchen®. Please note, specialty dining options have an additional charge. To see if your ship features these options, please click here.

Parties greater than 8 guests may need to be accommodated at several tables and the wait can sometimes be more than one hour. We highly suggest that parties of 8 or more guests choose an assigned seating to assure sitting together at one table or several tables close together.

NOTE:  Menu items (excluding Steakhouse Selections) are complimentary in the main dining room.  Guests can order a second entrée and keep in mind they can also request half portions if something looks too enticing to pass up.  If a third entrée is ordered, a US$5 charge will be assessed.

That's disappointing. 

Did they bring back the fillet mignon on the brunch menu for Sea days? Or is it still just steak and eggs?

12 minutes ago, DrSea said:

That's disappointing. 

Did they bring back the fillet mignon on the brunch menu for Sea days? Or is it still just steak and eggs?

Yes still $5 for a third entree

Still just "steak and eggs"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrSea said:

That's disappointing. 

As of last week no filet at brunch but the steak served wasn't quite as bad as what we had a year ago a half ago. Unfortunately those cold, hard, cardboard fries were exactly the same lol.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll check back in a year to see if these policies are changed. CCL just isn't a good fit today. 

Carnival desperately needs to revert all their food cutbacks because the food on my most recent cruise (which ended yesterday) was absolutely disgusting.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival desperately needs to revert all their food cutbacks because the food on my most recent cruise (which ended yesterday) was absolutely disgusting.

Ouch. Which ship was it?

I didn't want to mention that CCL had made some very positive changes in the food department to only have all that progress rolled back last year with all the cutbacks. Food is subjective, but I'll be waiting for those changes to reverse before I return. And if they don't change course, that's OK. 

28 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Ouch. Which ship was it?

I didn't want to mention that CCL had made some very positive changes in the food department to only have all that progress rolled back last year with all the cutbacks. Food is subjective, but I'll be waiting for those changes to reverse before I return. And if they don't change course, that's OK. 

Magic - I posted a brief review the other day. It is not an exaggeration to say I would have had a better week of food if I stayed home and ate at Golden Corral.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

Magic - I posted a brief review the other day. It is not an exaggeration to say I would have had a better week of food if I stayed home and ate at Golden Corral.

It's unfortunate that the food hasn't made any strides in a year. Yes I believe that golden corral statement because that was my experience a year ago.

NCL has made huge improvements in their food. Sad to see CCL hasn't 

• Like 2

Was on the Mardi Gras last month with the new menus...food was decent to good. It's all subjective. I was hoping for the flat iron to be back but, it was sadly still the striploin.

As a shareholder, if them charging you $5 for a 3rd entrée is a deal breaker, you may be better off at Golden Corral.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

Was on the Mardi Gras last month with the new menus...food was decent to good. It's all subjective. I was hoping for the flat iron to be back but, it was sadly still the striploin.

As a shareholder, if them charging you $5 for a 3rd entrée is a deal breaker, you may be better off at Golden Corral.

I've never seen lobster at golden corral. I guess I'll have to stick to $5 if I want a 3rd lobster. Sometimes they are extra small. I wouldn't normally get 3, but I have skipped everything else to eat 2. I'd pay $5 if I was still hungry. 

The steak I had on carnival I only ordered it once and it was all gristle. It's not like a strip steak i get on rcl. Not sure if a strip steak is the same as your striploin. I will try it again on dream. It cant be worse than what I was served. Carnival wins for lunch as I love fast food. I often get a burger and fries before it closes at 6 pm to get me thru dinner if not a pay restaurant. Hopefully the new menus are better than before. Always food to get by, .. get thru dinner. Carnivals weak spot imo. I wish every ship had a JiJis. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've never seen lobster at golden corral. I guess I'll have to stick to $5 if I want a 3rd lobster. Sometimes they are extra small. I wouldn't normally get 3, but I have skipped everything else to eat 2. I'd pay $5 if I was still hungry. 

The steak I had on carnival I only ordered it once and it was all gristle. It's not like a strip steak i get on rcl. Not sure if a strip steak is the same as your striploin. I will try it again on dream. It cant be worse than what I was served. Carnival wins for lunch as I love fast food. I often get a burger and fries before it closes at 6 pm to get me thru dinner if not a pay restaurant. Hopefully the new menus are better than before. Always food to get by, .. get thru dinner. Carnivals weak spot imo. I wish every ship had a JiJis. 

A striploin is certainly no NY Strip! I'd skip it altogether. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hard_eight said:

Frankly given the performance of the stock over the past 5 years and Carnival's current level of service including the absolutely abysmal food I've experienced on several ships, I'd be embarrassed to admit I own the stock if I were you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hard_eight said:

I may be better off at Golden corral, NCL, RCL, PCL, etc. 

It's a line in the sand for me. May be irrational, but CCL has lost out on 6 cruises from me and counting since implementing this policy. 

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Frankly given the performance of the stock over the past 5 years and Carnival's current level of service including the absolutely abysmal food I've experienced on several ships, I'd be embarrassed to admit I own the stock if I were you.

Thank you for your patronage, please keep booking

Edited by hard_eight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

Thank you for your patronage, please keep booking

While I have no designs of beating the house, I typically do not pay for my Carnival cruises. But sadly even for free I do not have any further CCL cruises booked at this time.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

All this trashing of the food, and honestly I never have an issue.  There is always something great available IMO.  If you don't like the steak/lobster - order one of the other 10 options.

Apparently bottomless spiny lobster is required for some folks to enjoy themselves.

• Haha 4