Icon of the Seas

JohnGc

Channel 9 Showed a brief glimpse of the Icon of the Seas. I guess younger people may love it but me being an old fellow I miss the ships that were sleek and not too big. The view from overhead looked like a big theme park. They also mentioned there are others following this build. They stated that the cruise when it is released is fully booked and with many Australians. I just wondered if any of you guys are going to be on it, and general thoughts on ship its self. Don't get me wrong give me a free ticket and stand back.😊

• Like 1

Nar that type of cruising isn't for me.

Even if they gave me a free ticket, I'd sell it for a real cruise...😁

Why in the world would you go on a cruise that was a limited theme park, when you could go to real theme parks with all the whistles.

It would be very limited to the ports it could dock at as well.

Nar not for me.

It must be serious times. Fancy inviting traditional media to the PR events that are usually reserved for travel media and upper tier infloozencers. The stakes are high, and they will be shaking their Iconic tin vigorously.

If Icon's itineraries shake out an Oasis class ship, that would be a possibility for Kembla. Oh, wait, they are already having trouble filling Radiance class cruises from OPT. If we were about to book the Caribbean, I would consider Icon, but only in preference to an Oasis class ship.

4 minutes ago, DebnBern said:

Not for me either, anything with water slides and theme parks equals to many kids running riot and unsupervised. 

We were on Wonder of the Seas last year on the Med.  A very large ship.

it was not full so there was plenty of room.  We also did Azamara this year.  

we enjoyed Wonder and found no problems with it.   We did not go to top levels so the were not bothered with the children’s activities.

the difference was because of the size of the ship the entertainment was wonderful.  They had entertainment on water pools that could be lowered or heightened.  This meant the type of the show was something we had never seen before!  Spectacular!

Azamara with only 6 entertainers!  Pretty ordinary!   We still enjoyed the cruise.   

try before you give it a no no.   The price just now is high but in the future it will come down, I am sure.   

we usually enjoy all types of ships but we do like good entertainment.

Have just come back from Spectrum of the seas in Asia.  Wonderful entertainment.  4000 passengers.  Entertainment Australian Beatles. Theatre full, everybody sung every song!  Wonderful dancers in their French cancan show.  

Eileen

• Like 2

We booked a back to back on Icon for December 2024 late last year when prices were good. I figure it’s the first and last time I’ll have the opportunity to sail on her so why not give it a go? 
We are sailing without kids so will avoid the family areas. 
I haven’t been on anything bigger than Ovation, so will be exciting I’m sure. 
Now that our kids are older we will be sailing on smaller shops in the future - so this is the last hoorah!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in two minds about that ship.

A one-week loop US-Carribbean would hardly give you the chance to fully experience the thing. 

Imagine the time it takes to get everyone on and off at every port...

Not worth flying all the way to Florida for that.

Then it would be definitely outside school holidays. 

And I would want a top-of-the-range cabin.

It looks like a pass from me.

We sailed the Caribbean out of Miami on Symphony (6,500 pax from memory) in 2019. We're of 'mature' age (middle aged and pre-retirement) and our two travelling companions were mid 20's. We all enjoyed it. Yes, there were heaps of kids and the pools were full but the adults only area was fairly quiet and there was always a secluded spot somewhere on the ship if you were prepared to look for it. The entertainment was certainly spectacular.

We didn't experience delays in embarking and disembarking.

However, having sailed on the floating theme park/resort once that's it for us. Much prefer the smaller ships. Having said that, we certainly don't regret experiencing the mega ship.

• Thanks 1

I booked on the Icon as soon as she was announced. I love water slides so couldn't resist. I was previously booked on Symphony, but those voyages were cancelled.

I've been on smaller ships and larger ones and enjoy the differences. The largest we've been on so far was the Ovation of the Seas and we found crowds were managed better than on smaller ships, especially with regards to tendering.

My only disappointment booking Icon will be that we probably won't get to travel on her larger sisters (for some time anyway).

• Thanks 1