Mekong River Cruise in August 2024

Rickyku

Hi all,

Looking for some general information. I know it would be hot and sticky, but this is the only time we can go (at least for the next few years). Can get used to it, as we just spent 2 weeks in AUgust in TUrkey, and did a Nile River cruise several years ago in August, so we know it will be hot.

At this point, we're still trying to narrow down the cruise - how to decide between Viking, AmaWaterways, Emerald, Avalon, and Croisieres Europe (nd then there's Pandaw or others)? Of course, want to spend a few days pre/post cruise in Hanoi, HCM, Siem Reap (Angkor Wat), and, depending on time/budget, maybe spend a few days at the end at a beach somewhere? What do all of you guys, your experts, think? What advice would you give me?

Thanks,

R

First of all, this is our most memorable river cruise.  We have done 9 river cruises.  Avalon all the way.  Viking ship next to us in Phenom Penh was stopped there as it could not cruise to Siem Reap due to low water issues.  We understand there were bused to Siem Reap. Mekong water levels go up and down.  Locals need to move because of water levels. Now I have read that there are historically low water levels - 100 year records.  We did pre cruise in Hanoi and traveled to Halong Bay.  Then we flew to HCM before boarding ship.  Excellent hotels in Hanoi, HCM and Siem Reap.  We cruised once with CroisiEurope and we did not like that we were assigned seating for dinner.  Boring…

I handled visas myself and I got single entry visa for Vietnam.  Of course, visa for Cambodia.

We did Emerald...  and were very impressed. We are experienced river cruisers (Vietnam & Cambodia was #17 for us) but are not brand loyal.  We started in Hanoi and did sail on Ha Long Bay before flying to HCMC to start the cruise. Visa for Vietnam was on line - Visa for Cambodia was handled on the boat (can't do an e-visa if you enter the country on the water...) and the cost was just charged to our shipboard account ($30 USD/pp).

The boat Emerald uses is beautiful - and the staff are probably some of the best (if not THE best) we have ever encountered.  With Emerald and Scenic all gratuities are included - so there is a bit of a saving there.  Also, airport transfers are complementary - even if you book your own air, and arrive in early (as we did).  

One difference with Emerald - although I don't know if this a big deal for you - is that the Emerald Harmony actually sails from HCMC.  Most (if not all) of the other lines bus you to My Tho to board.  We found it interesting to sail out of HCMC.  Not a particularly scenic sailing, but it is a working river and we enjoyed watching all of the activity on the river. 

Am happy to answer any questions you may have.  We did this itinerary in February this year (17 day itinerary) with extra days in Hanoi to start and then stopped in Bangkok for 3 nights on the way home.

Fran

We are doing the Mekong with Avalon in November, 2023, with all the associated extensions.  We've sailed Avalon once before, on the Danube, and really liked them, but since it was a pandemic cruise, and there were only 25-45 people on the ship, I can't tell if it was 100% representative of their product. (I'm pretty sure it was, but having the whole ship for 25 people was a unique experience.)

What drew me to Avalon for this cruise was the size of the ship.  It is substantially smaller than some of the other ships on the Mekong.  I love smaller group travel.  The tradeoff is that we overnight in Ha Long Bay in a hotel instead of a ship in the bay like some of the other companies use.  I decided that was a good trade - one night for the rest of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ricky, depends on your budget. Compare the main companies and ascertain what their optional expenses/ costs are. Not all companies are all inclusive of trips drinks tips etc. 

I have just completed a scenic spirit Mekong trip which was truly the best. We like  the all inclusive but the upfront cost is more. I spoke to staff on board who also work for emerald cruise lines, which are at a cheaper price point. But the add on costs are High, again research all aspects and not just costs. 

The scenic admin and website is not the the best, but once on board, 💥

cheers mark 

hi all, 

thanks for your comments.

I think this trip may be delayed for quite a while (unforeseen required house renovations due this spring).

But what I think I'm hearing:

Scenic may be the more expensive of the bunch, but (and maybe I'm inferring) the most luxurious and fully inclusive?

Emerald sails straight out of HCMC (which may be an interesting advantage)

Avalon has smaller ship/fewer passengers (?) and may also be able to go where water is a bit more "shallow".

(If cost were not an issue, would it be Scenic then Avalon, then Emerald? and what about Ama or Viking?)  

Thanks for the continued dialogue.

1 hour ago, Rickyku said:

hi all, 

thanks for your comments.

I think this trip may be delayed for quite a while (unforeseen required house renovations due this spring).

But what I think I'm hearing:

Scenic may be the more expensive of the bunch, but (and maybe I'm inferring) the most luxurious and fully inclusive?

Emerald sails straight out of HCMC (which may be an interesting advantage)

Avalon has smaller ship/fewer passengers (?) and may also be able to go where water is a bit more "shallow".

(If cost were not an issue, would it be Scenic then Avalon, then Emerald? and what about Ama or Viking?)  

Thanks for the continued dialogue.

I believe Avalon also sails into/out of HCMC. I didn’t sail the Mekong with them (I was on the Irawaddy) but the ships are almost identical, 12 cabins on the lower deck and 6 on the upper; quite a bit smaller than most of the other Mekong ships. And I very much enjoyed the bed facing the water; occasionally when cruising I would open the panoramic window all the way, close the screen, and sit up in bed watching the water go by. 

• 3 months later...

I am trying to figure out what’s the best cruise for the Mekong ( good ship, good food, good excursions). For some reasons the aqua ship seems very appealing to me, any thoughts on that? Nov-Jan time is the best time right?

10 minutes ago, Khareef said:

I am trying to figure out what’s the best cruise for the Mekong ( good ship, good food, good excursions). For some reasons the aqua ship seems very appealing to me, any thoughts on that? Nov-Jan time is the best time right?

What is the aqua ship?

I did the Mekong with Ama, and loved the food. Excursions are very low key, the villages are very small. I wasn’t too enthralled with the cabin, I found that the twin balconies created a small useless nook inside and a very small balcony.

I travelled in November; I found the temperatures in Hanoi and Seam Reap and down the Mekong. However, I found the temperature in Ho Chi Minh City unbearably hot. 

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gnome12 said:

What is the aqua ship?

I did the Mekong with Ama, and loved the food. Excursions are very low key, the villages are very small. I wasn’t too enthralled with the cabin, I found that the twin balconies created a small useless nook inside and a very small balcony.

I travelled in November; I found the temperatures in Hanoi and Seam Reap and down the Mekong. However, I found the temperature in Ho Chi Minh City unbearably hot. 

https://www.aquaexpeditions.com/cruise-ship/aqua-mekong/?tm=tt&ap=gads&aaid=ada4uU3rSsBDA&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnrOtBhDIARIsAFsSe52I93AoGNbmGiHPRqZh2kp5si1xEv0a512OG7TMC_SZ7EHOthwJfv0aAjGaEALw_wcB

I meant Aqua Expeditions, not sure anyone has sailed with them here? Thanks for the feedback about Ama.

On 9/13/2023 at 4:25 AM, franski said:

We did Emerald...  and were very impressed. We are experienced river cruisers (Vietnam & Cambodia was #17 for us) but are not brand loyal.  We started in Hanoi and did sail on Ha Long Bay before flying to HCMC to start the cruise. Visa for Vietnam was on line - Visa for Cambodia was handled on the boat (can't do an e-visa if you enter the country on the water...) and the cost was just charged to our shipboard account ($30 USD/pp).

The boat Emerald uses is beautiful - and the staff are probably some of the best (if not THE best) we have ever encountered.  With Emerald and Scenic all gratuities are included - so there is a bit of a saving there.  Also, airport transfers are complementary - even if you book your own air, and arrive in early (as we did).  

One difference with Emerald - although I don't know if this a big deal for you - is that the Emerald Harmony actually sails from HCMC.  Most (if not all) of the other lines bus you to My Tho to board.  We found it interesting to sail out of HCMC.  Not a particularly scenic sailing, but it is a working river and we enjoyed watching all of the activity on the river. 

Am happy to answer any questions you may have.  We did this itinerary in February this year (17 day itinerary) with extra days in Hanoi to start and then stopped in Bangkok for 3 nights on the way home.

Fran

What kind of excursions did you take? Any Bike or Kayak offered? I like some engaging things, just waking usually does not do it for me. Thanks in advanced for the reply.

On 1/21/2024 at 11:11 AM, Khareef said:

What kind of excursions did you take? Any Bike or Kayak offered? I like some engaging things, just waking usually does not do it for me. Thanks in advanced for the reply.

Hi -

As gnome12 indicated, there were no active participation activities once we were on the river boat.  If you choose a tour that includes a cruise on Ha Long Bay, there are opportunities for kayaking.  Apparently there are beaches for swimming as well, but the weather was too cool for that when we went in early February.

Lots of transportation "fun" - in carts, tuk tuks etc.  Most times on the Mekong, however,  the boat is moored on the water - and you are tendered into the village(s) you are visiting. 

Lots of walking... and depending on the time of year - lots of walking in HOT weather. 

If you feel that you really want/need biking or kayaking - or other active pursuits (eg: hiking - up hills) - to really enjoy a river cruise, then I would respectfully suggest that you look at something along the Danube - or perhaps the Rhine. Many lines offer biking as an "included excursion" in Europe.  But those type of excursions aren't offered anywhere (as far as I know) on the Mekong.

Fran

Edited by franski

3 hours ago, franski said:

Hi -

As gnome12 indicated, there were no active participation activities once we were on the river boat.  If you choose a tour that includes a cruise on Ha Long Bay, there are opportunities for kayaking.  Apparently there are beaches for swimming as well, but the weather was too cool for that when we went in early February.

Lots of transportation "fun" - in carts, tuk tuks etc.  Most times on the Mekong, however,  the boat is moored on the water - and you are tendered into the village(s) you are visiting. 

Lots of walking... and depending on the time of year - lots of walking in HOT weather. 

If you feel that you really want/need biking or kayaking - or other active pursuits (eg: hiking - up hills) - to really enjoy a river cruise, then I would respectfully suggest that you look at something along the Danube - or perhaps the Rhine. Many lines offer biking as an "included excursion" in Europe.  But those type of excursions aren't offered anywhere (as far as I know) on the Mekong.

Fran

Thanks for the infos!

I was looking at this https://www.aquaexpeditions.com/mekong-river-cruise/ and since they offer kayaks and bikes I was wondering whether it is a common thing on the Mekong. 

Not a cruise breaker for me, I was just curious. Did you take one of those longer itineraries with some land tour in Cambodia as well? Is it worth?

P.S.

I have done a lot of biking on the Rhine and Danube when I was younger...:-) I actually lived by the Danube in both Budapest and Bratislava. Good old days.

I did my trip with Ama Waterways. I did the full tour including land portions. I started in Hanoi (I came in 3 days early to see more in Hanoi and adjust to the time change), spent an overnight on a junk on Halong Bay, then back to Hanoi. Flew to Siem Reap, spent 3 nights there exploring Angkor Wat and the other temples. Then a bus to where we boarded the ship south of Tonle Sap Lake which is really not deep enough for most ships to sail. Then we sailed down the Mekong to My Tho on the delta, from where we were bused to Ho Chi Minh City.

Some smaller ships can continue down the Saigon River right into HCMC.

The sides of the Mekong are not developed the way that most European rivers are.  It is a combination of wild swamp, small floating fish hatcheries, and small farm plots.  There would be nowhere to bike, unlike along the Danube for instance.

We went with Avalon and did all the extensions - 2 nights Hanoi, 1 night Halong bay, 2 nights HCMC, 2 nights Siem Reap, 2 nights Bangkok.  It was totally worth it.  Great vacation.  

There are bike opportunities in Siem Reap, as renting bikes to see the temples is a thing.  Be warned, though, that we saw several folks by the side of the road with their bikes looking completely deflated.  I suspect they were not prepared for the heat.  We were there end of November and it was still so very hot and humid.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 5:06 PM, Khareef said:

Thanks for the infos!

I was looking at this https://www.aquaexpeditions.com/mekong-river-cruise/ and since they offer kayaks and bikes I was wondering whether it is a common thing on the Mekong. 

Not a cruise breaker for me, I was just curious. Did you take one of those longer itineraries with some land tour in Cambodia as well? Is it worth?

P.S.

I have done a lot of biking on the Rhine and Danube when I was younger...:-) I actually lived by the Danube in both Budapest and Bratislava. Good old days.

Hi - The ship looks impressive... I looked at the prices and the itinerary.  The itinerary seems pretty standard, although the prices seem a bit high compared to other cruise lines.   Just wanted to point out a couple of things I noticed.

1) The short video showed open doors to the balcony.  Given the heat, we did not open our windows at all on the boat. It was very hot (and we went in February - not the hottest month!!) and we were glad to get back into an air conditioned environment after the tour(s).

2) The bike rides mentioned were 15-18 km long.  See above re: heat...  Unless you are from an environment that is similar, I would caution about riding a bike that distance in that heat. 

3) On first look, it appears that the boat sails further.  But, the tour (at least the one I looked at) ended in Phnom Phenh..  Most river components end there - with busing up to Siem Reap if you are interested in going further.

4) You do not board the boat in Ho Chi Minh city...  rather, are bused to My Tho.  Most lines do that.  Emerald actually has you board in HCMC. 

Fran 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, franski said:

Hi - The ship looks impressive... I looked at the prices and the itinerary.  The itinerary seems pretty standard, although the prices seem a bit high compared to other cruise lines.   Just wanted to point out a couple of things I noticed.

1) The short video showed open doors to the balcony.  Given the heat, we did not open our windows at all on the boat. It was very hot (and we went in February - not the hottest month!!) and we were glad to get back into an air conditioned environment after the tour(s).

2) The bike rides mentioned were 15-18 km long.  See above re: heat...  Unless you are from an environment that is similar, I would caution about riding a bike that distance in that heat. 

3) On first look, it appears that the boat sails further.  But, the tour (at least the one I looked at) ended in Phnom Phenh..  Most river components end there - with busing up to Siem Reap if you are interested in going further.

4) You do not board the boat in Ho Chi Minh city...  rather, are bused to My Tho.  Most lines do that.  Emerald actually has you board in HCMC. 

Fran 

Thanks for the precious feedback.

My partner had come to a very similar conclusion, and after doing our due diligence we believe  Emerald looks like the most appropriate choice for our lifestyle and taste!!

3 hours ago, Khareef said:

Thanks for the precious feedback.

My partner had come to a very similar conclusion, and after doing our due diligence we believe  Emerald looks like the most appropriate choice for our lifestyle and taste!!

I am sure you will enjoy it!!  We did the Hanoi/Ha Long Bay extension (18 day tour).  We decided not to include the stop in Hua/Hoi An as we were going into Hanoi a few days early, and stopping in Bangkok on the way home.  So - already a long trip.  

This was my husband's bucket list trip.  But, I must admit, it was one of the best trips we have taken.  Emerald runs a great tour - their guides are top notch.  I would happily go again if it didn't take 20+ hours to get there...

Fran

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, franski said:

I am sure you will enjoy it!!  We did the Hanoi/Ha Long Bay extension (18 day tour).  We decided not to include the stop in Hua/Hoi An as we were going into Hanoi a few days early, and stopping in Bangkok on the way home.  So - already a long trip.  

This was my husband's bucket list trip.  But, I must admit, it was one of the best trips we have taken.  Emerald runs a great tour - their guides are top notch.  I would happily go again if it didn't take 20+ hours to get there...

Fran

Don't tell me about the flights...I am looking at a cruise in Polynesia before the Mekong   but the idea of spending so many hours on a place makes me wanna reconsider it 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Khareef said:

Don't tell me about the flights...I am looking at a cruise in Polynesia before the Mekong   but the idea of spending so many hours on a place makes me wanna reconsider it 🙂

Not sure where you are flying from...  We flew out of Toronto.  Paid the money to book premium economy - and I am so glad we did.  We flew EVA air - and I was very pleased.

It was 14 hrs to Taipei - then another 5 to Hanoi.  It made the 6.5 hrs to Scotland last September feel like a short flight!

Fran

10 hours ago, franski said:

Not sure where you are flying from...  We flew out of Toronto.  Paid the money to book premium economy - and I am so glad we did.  We flew EVA air - and I was very pleased.

It was 14 hrs to Taipei - then another 5 to Hanoi.  It made the 6.5 hrs to Scotland last September feel like a short flight!

Fran

spain. Premium Economy or Business is a must 🙂 Money well spent for long flights.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Khareef said:

spain. Premium Economy or Business is a must 🙂 Money well spent for long flights.

We booked premium economy for our upcoming trip (Douro cruise).  We fly (direct) to Lisbon and home from Madrid.  This is an anniversary trip - and I wasn't going to chintz out on the flight!!

Fran