Mekong River Cruise in August 2024

Rickyku

37 minutes ago, franski said:

We booked premium economy for our upcoming trip (Douro cruise).  We fly (direct) to Lisbon and home from Madrid.  This is an anniversary trip - and I wasn't going to chintz out on the flight!!

Fran

What airline? I flew home from Seville via Lisbon, flying Air Canada Jazz from Lisbon to Toronto in premium economy. It probably wasn't even as nice as standard economy on Air Canada. Jazz is definitely a step or two below the main carrier. This was in 2016 so things might have changed since.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:30 PM, franski said:

I am sure you will enjoy it!!  We did the Hanoi/Ha Long Bay extension (18 day tour).  We decided not to include the stop in Hua/Hoi An as we were going into Hanoi a few days early, and stopping in Bangkok on the way home.  So - already a long trip.  

This was my husband's bucket list trip.  But, I must admit, it was one of the best trips we have taken.  Emerald runs a great tour - their guides are top notch.  I would happily go again if it didn't take 20+ hours to get there...

Fran

Just one question: I always like to book a suite with the bed facing the direction of motion, I don't like when I have sleep the opposite way (same in a train :-)). Do you recall on Emerald what suite have the bed facing the bow (odd or even)?

6 hours ago, Khareef said:

Just one question: I always like to book a suite with the bed facing the direction of motion, I don't like when I have sleep the opposite way (same in a train :-)). Do you recall on Emerald what suite have the bed facing the bow (odd or even)?

I can't answer your question re beds. But, you will probably find that there is very little "night time" cruising on the Mekong maybe a couple of hours during dinner. From my memory we were either moored mid river or tied up alongside at night.

As you are going in August, be prepared for an afternoon downpour each day - generally lasts about 15 mins -1/2 hr.

Just now, vada_9 said:

I can't answer your question re beds. But, you will probably find that there is very little "night time" cruising on the Mekong maybe a couple of hours during dinner. From my memory we were either moored mid river or tied up alongside at night.

As you are going in August, be prepared for an afternoon downpour each day - generally lasts about 15 mins -1/2 hr.

Thanks!

No we are thinking Xmas time.

8 hours ago, Khareef said:

Hi - We were in Room 314 - right off the main lobby...  Our bed faced the lobby and back (aft) of the boat.  The room beside us (312) would have had the bed facing the bow - as the bathroom walls butt up against each other for the plumbing.   I expect it would be the same on the other side of the corridor.

It was a great cabin...  close to the lobby, lounge, staircase to the dining room - or further down to the laundry, and the doors to enter/exit the boat. 

Fran

On 2/2/2024 at 10:28 PM, gnome12 said:

What airline? I flew home from Seville via Lisbon, flying Air Canada Jazz from Lisbon to Toronto in premium economy. It probably wasn't even as nice as standard economy on Air Canada. Jazz is definitely a step or two below the main carrier. This was in 2016 so things might have changed since.

HI - We are booked with Air Canada.  Non-stop to Lisbon, and home from Madrid.  Not a cheap flight - but bit the bullet on this to celebrate our 45th.   

Just booking the Douro was more per person than we usually pay.  The Douro hardly ever goes on sale - and sells out quickly.   But, I can't do extreme heat - so the summer is out.  Booking for peak times (May & September) was a challenge, but I found a tour with AMA that gives me all I want, and we are on the boat on our anniversary.  At least the travel time to Portugal is less than the time it took to get to Vietnam. I would go back to Vietnam/Cambodia in a heartbeat if the travel time wasn't so brutal!!

Fran

31 minutes ago, franski said:

HI - We are booked with Air Canada.  Non-stop to Lisbon, and home from Madrid.  Not a cheap flight - but bit the bullet on this to celebrate our 45th.   

Just booking the Douro was more per person than we usually pay.  The Douro hardly ever goes on sale - and sells out quickly.   But, I can't do extreme heat - so the summer is out.  Booking for peak times (May & September) was a challenge, but I found a tour with AMA that gives me all I want, and we are on the boat on our anniversary.  At least the travel time to Portugal is less than the time it took to get to Vietnam. I would go back to Vietnam/Cambodia in a heartbeat if the travel time wasn't so brutal!!

Fran

Glad you are with the parent. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, franski said:

Hi - We were in Room 314 - right off the main lobby...  Our bed faced the lobby and back (aft) of the boat.  The room beside us (312) would have had the bed facing the bow - as the bathroom walls butt up against each other for the plumbing.   I expect it would be the same on the other side of the corridor.

It was a great cabin...  close to the lobby, lounge, staircase to the dining room - or further down to the laundry, and the doors to enter/exit the boat. 

Fran

Thanks, that's what I was looking for! Very much appreciated!

We have an upcoming Mekong cruise on AMA, and I have a question about the visa for Cambodia. AMA says the visa may be obtained onboard with an additional fee, but no indication of how much. Does anyone recall about how much.

Secondly, should be have passport photos with us?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, NickCarraway said:

We have an upcoming Mekong cruise on AMA, and I have a question about the visa for Cambodia. AMA says the visa may be obtained onboard with an additional fee, but no indication of how much. Does anyone recall about how much.

Secondly, should be have passport photos with us?

Thanks

When I did it, it was US$30. I think you needed a picture.

I think it was $35 US when we went last year.  The amount will be added on to your shipboard account - so you won't need cash.

Some people said you don't need passport pictures, but I didn't want to take a chance - so had pictures with us. 

By any chance, are you a member of CAA?  They do passport pictures for free.

Fran

28 minutes ago, franski said:

By any chance, are you a member of CAA?  They do passport pictures for free.

Not with my membership level, which is the basic one.