Cape Liberty Back to NYC on Sunday

lumofny

What's the cheapest way back to NY Penn Station on a Sunday post cruise? Looks like it'll be having a taxi or Uber take us from Cape Liberty to the Grove St PATH, exiting at 33rd Street in Manhattan, then walking to Amtrak at NY Penn. Is there a cheaper solution? There will be 5 of us and 2 are 11. NJT says they travel free with a paying adult on weekends so there may be a cheaper option out there since we are disembarking on Sunday. Have the Uber driver drop us off at a station that will take us directly back to NY Penn perhaps?

16 minutes ago, lumofny said:

Looks like it'll be having a taxi or Uber take us from Cape Liberty to the Grove St PATH, exiting at 33rd Street in Manhattan, then walking to Amtrak at NY Penn.

Don't take a taxi in New Jersey-- they are awful and overpriced. Take an Uber or Lyft. Much nicer cars and the pricing is usually lower than what the taxi drivers ask for. 

16 minutes ago, lumofny said:

Is there a cheaper solution?

No, but there are faster and easier ones. 

17 minutes ago, lumofny said:

Have the Uber driver drop us off at a station that will take us directly back to NY Penn perhaps?

Personally after a cruise I would just have the Uber take me right to Penn Station but it will be the more expensive option -- about $75 for an UberXL direct from the port. But I do like where your head is at about NJT-- I think its a good compromise on cost and time. Going direct from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station will be ALOT easier than taking the PATH and walking. Uber from Cape Liberty to Newark Penn Station will be around $40 plus the NJT tickets. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Don't take a taxi in New Jersey-- they are awful and overpriced. Take an Uber or Lyft. Much nicer cars and the pricing is usually lower than what the taxi drivers ask for. 

No, but there are faster and easier ones. 

Personally after a cruise I would just have the Uber take me right to Penn Station but it will be the more expensive option -- about $75 for an UberXL direct from the port. But I do like where your head is at about NJT-- I think its a good compromise on cost and time. Going direct from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station will be ALOT easier than taking the PATH and walking. Uber from Cape Liberty to Newark Penn Station will be around $40 plus the NJT tickets. 

Do you have an idea of what an Uber from the port to PATH station would cost?

5 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

UberXL to Grove St is about $30 so might as well just go to Newark Penn for the much easier transfer. 

Tickets from Newark Penn to NY Penn would be free for kids 11 and under on weekends, yes?

You seem to be very detailed and knowledgeable about NYC transportation. It is appreciated!

3 minutes ago, lumofny said:

Tickets from Newark Penn to NY Penn would be free for kids 11 and under on weekends, yes?

You seem to be very detailed and knowledgeable about NYC transportation. It is appreciated!

I honestly don't know but seems plausible. 

There are far more detailed and knowledgeable folks on here about NYC public transportation-- I just commuted on the PATH for enough years to know I wouldn't want to pile off a cruise ship with luggage and two 11 year olds and use it to get to NYC Penn. Pushing large bags through turnstiles etc. 

NJT direct to Penn would be the way to go. 

25 minutes ago, lumofny said:

Yes, on weekends two children ages 11 and under travel free on NJ Transit with any fare-paying adult.

I agree with @princeton123211...just take an Uber from Cape Liberty to Newark Penn Station and then NJ Transit to NY Penn Station.

7 hours ago, lumofny said:

What's the cheapest way back to NY Penn Station on a Sunday post cruise? Looks like it'll be having a taxi or Uber take us from Cape Liberty to the Grove St PATH, exiting at 33rd Street in Manhattan, then walking to Amtrak at NY Penn. Is there a cheaper solution? There will be 5 of us and 2 are 11. NJT says they travel free with a paying adult on weekends so there may be a cheaper option out there since we are disembarking on Sunday. Have the Uber driver drop us off at a station that will take us directly back to NY Penn perhaps?

The least expensive route involves one train from Bayonne to Hoboken, then a second train from Hoboken to midtown Manhattan. Fairly easy to do. Elevators available at all relevant stations if needed. Here's the details.

It is about two miles from the port to the train station in Bayonne, possible but not particularly well-suited for walking. This may be where you will want to use a taxi or other hired vehicle. You will be destined for the 34th Street station in Bayonne, located at 34th Street between Avenue E and highway 440. Fare is $2.25 for adults, $1.10 for elderly (age 62+) and disabled persons, children under 12 free with other fare-paying passengers. No fare barricades, but keep your ticket handy for possible inspection while enroute. Ride this train from 34th Street station to Hoboken station. About 25 minutes.

Change trains at Hoboken. Find the PATH subway train at the same station. Fare is $2.75 for all persons except children age 5 and under. There are wide gates to enter the platform so you don't have to worry about squeezing through any narrow turnstiles. Ride this train from Hoboken station to 33rd Street station. About 16 minutes.

From 33rd Street station (located at Sixth Avenue), Pennsylvania Station is one block west, Seventh Avenue at 32nd Street.

A note about Newark. While it is practicable to go by taxi from the port to Newark, then via railroad from Newark to midtown Manhattan, doing so will take a bit longer (mostly because of having to take a longer taxi ride into Newark; the trip by railroad from Newark to midtown Manhattan is only 20 minutes) and will involve a much more expensive taxi ride. You will make up some of the cost difference because children travel free on the railroad, but would have to pay on the PATH train. Otherwise, the railroad fare from Newark to Pennsylvania Station is $5.25 for adults, $2.45 for elderly and disabled persons.

Edited by GTJ

11 hours ago, lumofny said:

What's the cheapest way back to NY Penn Station on a Sunday post cruise? Looks like it'll be having a taxi or Uber take us from Cape Liberty to the Grove St PATH, exiting at 33rd Street in Manhattan, then walking to Amtrak at NY Penn. Is there a cheaper solution? 

Cab fare from Cape Liberty to the 34th Street light rail station in Bayonne is a fixed $12 per person. $60 total for your group of 5, not including a tip.

Tickets for the light tail are to be validated when purchased. Thought I have never encountered any checking of my light rail ticket, having the ticket handy for presentation without validating it is subject to a fine.

The convenience of not having to transport luggage for 5 from train to train is well worth paying more by transiting directly to Newark Penn.

We are taking a train to and from the NJ/NYC area for our B2B cruise in October. Cruising from Cape Liberty. Arriving and leaving on Thursdays.  

DH has some mobility issues.  He can walk, but not long distances.  In airports I get wheelchair transport to the gate.  He can walk around the gate area to reach a restroom and board the plane, etc.  Our plan is to board a train in VA and get off at the NJ Penn station.  I can not find any information  regarding the distances you need to travel from the tracks t the terminal exits.  We have a reservation at the attached Doubletree Hotel. We can always cancel that if there is a better option. 

Also, I am usually able bodied and handle the luggage.  However, I had an accident recently and have a back injury. I am improving and hope to be much better by then.  [Dr has said I should be fine for the cruise] Also, a passenger on our cruise says the Penn station is VERY sketchy.  She suggested that we should travel to NYC Moynihan station. She said arrival might be OK, but not waiting for the train in the terminal after the cruise.  Any thoughts?  The NYC option seems to be pretty expensive for transport and hotels.  We would use Uber/Lyft/ car service or taxi.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

13 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Cab fare from Cape Liberty to the 34th Street light rail station in Bayonne is a fixed $12 per person. $60 total for your group of 5, not including a tip.

Why would anyone take a taxi for $60 to 34th St Station when an UberX is $10, an UberXL is $13? Even an UberBlack SUV is $42. Thats absolutely insanity on top of the fact that these are some of the rattiest, worst maintained "taxis" in North America. 

15 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Also, a passenger on our cruise says the Penn station is VERY sketchy.  She suggested that we should travel to NYC Moynihan station. She said arrival might be OK, but not waiting for the train in the terminal after the cruise.  Any thoughts? 

Moynihan Tain Hall is a part of Penn Station. It's a newer section that opened a few years ago and now handles the arrivals and departures of Amtrak trains. If you are using NJ Transit you will go out of the older section of the station. Everyones tolerances are different-- the older section is a bit dingy (which is why it was replaced by Moynihan for Amtrak) and doesn't have the same quality level of dining options but its well patrolled by police. I wouldn't say its any more dangerous-- its just not nearly as nice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

Moynihan Tain Hall is a part of Penn Station. It's a newer section that opened a few years ago and now handles the arrivals and departures of Amtrak trains. If you are using NJ Transit you will go out of the older section of the station. Everyones tolerances are different-- the older section is a bit dingy (which is why it was replaced by Moynihan for Amtrak) and doesn't have the same quality level of dining options but its well patrolled by police. I wouldn't say its any more dangerous-- its just not nearly as nice. 

OK, sorry.  I was not clear in my post.  Our plan all along was to arrive and leave from the NJ Penn Amtrak station.  The other passenger state that station is sketchy and suggested the NYC Moynihan station.  I am trying to find out about those 2 options.  Is the NJ Penn station so sketchy you would not use it?  Is the distance from the track at the Newark NJ station too much for someone with some mobility issues and/or to use the walkway to the Doubletree?  

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

I believe the poster is talking about Newark Penn Station being sketchy and someone's rather misguided advice that they take the train to New York instead for their cruises out of Cape Liberty.

Since the poster is from Virginia they are undoubtedly taking Amtrak, not NJ Transit.

10 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

OK, sorry.  I was not clear in my post.  Our plan all along was to arrive and leave from the NJ Penn Amtrak station.  The other passenger state that station is sketchy and suggested the NYC Moynihan station.  I am trying to find out about those 2 options.  Is the NJ Penn station so sketchy you would not use it?  Is the distance from the track at the Newark NJ station too much for someone with some mobility issues and/or to use the walkway to the Doubletree?  

Newark Penn Station isn't the prettiest place in the world but it won't be dangerous, particularly during weekday daylight business hours when you'll be there.

I can't say with any certainty whether your husband will be able to walk to the Doubletree. Since he needs a wheelchair at the airport it might be touch and go on his being able to do the walk.

In any event it makes no sense for you to take the train to Manhattan instead and then have to travel back to New Jersey the next morning.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I believe the poster is talking about Newark Penn Station being sketchy and someone's rather misguided advice that they take the train to New York instead for their cruises out of Cape Liberty.

Since the poster is from Virginia they are undoubtedly taking Amtrak, not NJ Transit.

Yes, that is why I have come on here to see if the station is that bad?

2 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Yes, that is why I have come on here to see if the station is that bad?

No- not bad enough that I would go all the way into Manhattan and back out the next day if Manhattan wasn't part of your plans. Newark Penn is not necessarily dangerous-- its well policed-- but its not as updated or has the same level of facilities as New York Penn. The second floor walkway to the hotel makes it very convenient. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Sorry--posting at the same time.  Yes, thanks for your advise.

You might want to get Red Cap service at Newark Penn Station to assist with your baggage and possibly request a wheelchair for your husband. I'm not sure the Red Cap porter could help you all the way to the hotel, but at least they should be able to take you right to the entrance of the passageway that leads to the hotel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Why would anyone take a taxi for $60 to 34th St Station when an UberX is $10, an UberXL is $13? Even an UberBlack SUV is $42. Thats absolutely insanity on top of the fact that these are some of the rattiest, worst maintained "taxis" in North America. 

The op was asking for information regarding costs. Having cruised twice from Cape Liberty in 2023, I provided the new higher taxi fee. If you read my post completely you would have seen I agreed with going directly to NPS nor did I advocate using a taxi for a group of 5.

The only time I use cab service is at Cape Liberty & my experience as to the condition of the vehicles is not the same as yours. It is a 3 mile ride and I doubt it would bother me if it were not in rideable condition. That the taxi driver did not assist with my bag was expressed to him, Uber has always helped with my luggage. From the terminal to the light rail station, a van not a car is used.

The price for a UberX on a random Wednesday with no ship traffic at Cape Liberty may be $10. I can assure you that is not the price on embarkation day due to surge pricing. The taxi from the light rail station was cheaper than Uber ($16) when I boarded in May.

Edited by meadowlander

Thanks for all your help.

I called the Newark Penn Doubletree Hotel and they told me to just go out the door and walk across the street to the hotel. It would be much shorter than using the walkway.  She mentioned using the Red Caps, too.  The person on my roll call implied the Red Caps were available in NYC, but not at Newark Penn.  I am glad to hear that is not correct. 

9 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

The person on my roll call implied the Red Caps were available in NYC, but not at Newark Penn.  I am glad to hear that is not correct. 

Red Caps are available at most of Amtrak's major stations along the Northeast Corridor and they are available at Newark Penn. Let the conductor on your train know and they will have the Red Cap waiting for you on the platform when you arrive at Newark. I'm pretty sure if you gave them a nice tip they would help you over to the hotel-- its such a short distance. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I can not find any information  regarding the distances you need to travel from the tracks to the terminal exits [at Newark Pennsylvania Station].

The tracks at Newark Pennsylvania Station are elevated, and one must first descend from the platform to street level by stairs, escalator, or elevator. Once on street level it is a relatively short distance to the station exits. While I am not the best judge of distance, I would say it is about 100 feet from the street level stairs, escalator, or elevator to the exit. The attached diagram shows the layout of the station. The DoubleTree hotel is immediately across Raymond Plaza West from the station. Between Amtrak red caps and hotel bellboy, you should be able to have your baggage handled, if not directly (gratuities assist) then by handing off from one to the other.

14 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

[A] passenger on our cruise says the Penn station is VERY sketchy. She suggested that we should travel to NYC Moynihan station. She said arrival might be OK, but not waiting for the train in the terminal after the cruise. Any thoughts?

I don't understand what the word "sketchy" means. I was thinking of several possibilities of how the term might be used by some people with respect to Newark Pennsylvania Station:

1. The station is dirty and not kept clean.

2. The physical structure of the station is not being maintained and is crumbling.

3. There exists petty crime at the station.

4. A majority of the people in the city of Newark are black.

5. There are poor or homeless people living in the station.

As to nos. 1 and 2, I think that the station is adequately maintained, both as to cleanliness and physically. Both could be improved, but I don't these characteristics to be objectionable. No. 3 is true, but the same can be said for New York Pennsylvania Station, Port Authority Bus Terminal, John F. Kennedy International Airport, and just about every transportation facility where there are many people circulating who are targets for pickpockets. No. 4 is true, but to denigrate the station for that reason would be pure racism. There is some truth to no. 5, but like no.3, it is true as well elsewhere.

In sum, in terms of use as a transportation terminal, I don't see Newark Pennsylvania Station as being so inadequate as to justify its avoidance incur the inconvenience of using alternative transportation facilities. I would question the judgment of the cruise passenger.

8 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I called the Newark Penn Doubletree Hotel and they told me to just go out the door and walk across the street to the hotel. It would be much shorter than using the walkway. She mentioned using the Red Caps, too. The person on my roll call implied the Red Caps were available in NYC, but not at Newark Penn. I am glad to hear that is not correct. 

The roll call person is incorrect, at least officially. Amtrak explicitly identifies its twelve stations with red cap service. See http://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/at-station-baggage-services.html. That said, red caps are not always immediately apparent, and so it may require a bit of patience. You might want to follow-up again with the DoubleTree and ask if their bellboys will come into Newark Pennsylvania Station to assist with baggage, or else where a hand-off should best be made from an Amtrak red cap.

NewarkPenn_Directory_8-21.pdf

Edited by GTJ