When in port, how much time to be back at ship before departure?

sunfan03

On the Star leaving Southampton on Oct. 23 and got a slight schedule change from NCL (either arriving later/departing earlier for 3 ports). Not surprised, but need a refresh.

Here's my question for the DIY tour folks: When in port, how much time in advance do you aim to be back on the ship prior to departure? It's been a while since we've cruised. 

E.g. if boat departs at 5 pm, what time would you (safely) want to be back in line to get on the boat? (and this is not in regards to embarkation day...it's for the different ports on our itinerary).

I want to make sure that the on your own tours I've arranged will still work for our schedule. 

47 minutes ago, sunfan03 said:

On the Star leaving Southampton on Oct. 23 and got a slight schedule change from NCL (either arriving later/departing earlier for 3 ports). Not surprised, but need a refresh.

Here's my question for the DIY tour folks: When in port, how much time in advance do you aim to be back on the ship prior to departure? It's been a while since we've cruised. 

E.g. if boat departs at 5 pm, what time would you (safely) want to be back in line to get on the boat? (and this is not in regards to embarkation day...it's for the different ports on our itinerary).

I want to make sure that the on your own tours I've arranged will still work for our schedule. 

You should be looking at the time that they say is all aboard for passengers, not the departure time. It is usually about 1/2 hour before departure time. And to give yourself a margin of error, you should aim to be back before that time, a half hour or maybe an hour depending on your tolerance about missing the ship.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

You should be looking at the time that they say is all aboard for passengers, not the departure time. It is usually about 1/2 hour before departure time. And to give yourself a margin of error, you should aim to be back before that time, a half hour or maybe an hour depending on your tolerance about missing the ship.

THAT'S the term I was trying to recall - lol. "All aboard". Thanks, @ontheweb! yes, so for a 5 pm departure, aim to be back at boat around 3:30 - 4 pm. 

• Like 1