Just back from my cruise and LOVED COPENHAGEN!

Lois R

I just sailed from Southampton to Copenhagen on a 12 night cruise that sailed all around Scotland and Ireland.

The last port was Skagen, Denmark and then the next day we disembarked in Copenhagen and I stayed there for one extra day.  I took a canal cruise with the company "Hey Captain" which was wonderful and I highly recommend them and thanks for the recommendations on here. Only 12 people in the boat with a really great captain. It was a 2 hour tour. 

And Copenhagen, well, I loved ii😃everyone is so friendly and it is so easy to walk around. 

Thanks again for the help on here😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

@Lois R  Where did you stay in Copenhagen?  Trying to select a hotel pre-cruise for next for our Aug 2024 Norwegian Fjords sailing.  Thanks!

I stayed at the Petri hotel.  It was fine.....they had an excellent breakfast buffet. 

I have been told by multiple people that it will be getting a renovation. . I would not say I was blown away by the property but overall it was fine for 1 night.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 4:34 PM, Lois R said:

I just sailed from Southampton to Copenhagen on a 12 night cruise that sailed all around Scotland and Ireland.

The last port was Skagen, Denmark and then the next day we disembarked in Copenhagen and I stayed there for one extra day.  I took a canal cruise with the company "Hey Captain" which was wonderful and I highly recommend them and thanks for the recommendations on here. Only 12 people in the boat with a really great captain. It was a 2 hour tour. 

And Copenhagen, well, I loved ii😃everyone is so friendly and it is so easy to walk around. 

Thanks again for the help on here😃

Glad you enjoyed it. I have never been to Europe on vacation. We're doing a 15-day Cruise next summer from Southampton to Copenhagen and I have booked two days in Copenhagen at the end of the cruise. The Copenhagen card looks phenomenal. Unlimited transportation in Copenhagen and the area and also includes lots of Admissions and other tourist sites.

We are also stopping in Skagen denmark. Not really looking forward to that stop. Is there anything amazing there that you found that you would like to share?

Edited by Russ Lomas
Add a question

Hi, I enjoyed just walking around town in Skagen🙂 I did not do a tour. The town had various shops and restaurants. My cruise was very port intensive so this was nice and more relaxing. 

I have been lucky and have been to Europe quite a few times over the past few years but this cruise was all new stops for me. I went to various parts of Ireland and Scotland and loved it🙂

19 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We are also stopping in Skagen denmark. Not really looking forward to that stop. Is there anything amazing there that you found that you would like to share

Off topic, but anyway some facts about Skagen

Skagen is very popular during summer - good fish restaurants and beaches. Many Danes and Germans are having their summer holiday at Skagen.
The town of Skagen has a history spanning at least 600 years. Fishing has always been an important industry, and the town continues to be Denmark’s largest fishing port. Skagen has 9,000 inhabitants.
Skagen is quite small however the must see locations are 4 to 13 km from the centre - renting a bike will be a nice experience, but you can also possible take city bus or rent a car.

At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Skagen was home to a group of artists known as the Skagen Painters. At Skagen the light is very special.
In the Center you will find Skagens Art Museum, with 1,800 paintings, drawings, sculptures and handicrafts by the artists active in Skagen.
The museum is located in the former home of P.S. Krøyer, who was one of the most prominent members of the Skagen Painters. You can also visit painters Anna & Michael Anchers' charming house and Holger Drachmanns Home (author & painter).

Skagen is locatied on the peninsula only few kilometres wide where the two seas Kattegat  and the Skagerrak meet at Grenen (the branch / the Tip). The tip of Grenen grows by approximately 8 meters each year.
A visit to Grenen is a must. It is possible to walk or bike the 4 km from Skagen to Grenen.

There is also a 'Grenen bus' only operated during "cruise ship calls - the cost of the Grenen bus is 5 US or Euro, in cash or credit card at the drop off point.  And that the Grenen bus runs approximately every 40 minutes (2023)   - schedule is not yet available.

The Sanded Church 5km south of Skagen was once the largest church in the region. Only the tower now remains, after the sand drift that started in the 16th century literally covered the rest of the church. The church has not been in use since 1795.

13 km south of Skagen is Råbjerg Mile(Dune), the largest migrating sand dune in Northern Europe. It’s easy to imagine being in the middle of a desert.with a unique flora and fauna.

Link to more information

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

Off topic, but anyway some facts about Skagen

Skagen is very popular during summer - good fish restaurants and beaches. Many Danes and Germans are having their summer holiday at Skagen.
The town of Skagen has a history spanning at least 600 years. Fishing has always been an important industry, and the town continues to be Denmark’s largest fishing port. Skagen has 9,000 inhabitants.
Skagen is quite small however the must see locations are 4 to 13 km from the centre - renting a bike will be a nice experience, but you can also possible take city bus or rent a car.

At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Skagen was home to a group of artists known as the Skagen Painters. At Skagen the light is very special.
In the Center you will find Skagens Art Museum, with 1,800 paintings, drawings, sculptures and handicrafts by the artists active in Skagen.
The museum is located in the former home of P.S. Krøyer, who was one of the most prominent members of the Skagen Painters. You can also visit painters Anna & Michael Anchers' charming house and Holger Drachmanns Home (author & painter).

Skagen is locatied on the peninsula only few kilometres wide where the two seas Kattegat  and the Skagerrak meet at Grenen (the branch / the Tip). The tip of Grenen grows by approximately 8 meters each year.
A visit to Grenen is a must. It is possible to walk or bike the 4 km from Skagen to Grenen.

There is also a 'Grenen bus' only operated during "cruise ship calls - the cost of the Grenen bus is 5 US or Euro, in cash or credit card at the drop off point.  And that the Grenen bus runs approximately every 40 minutes (2023)   - schedule is not yet available.

The Sanded Church 5km south of Skagen was once the largest church in the region. Only the tower now remains, after the sand drift that started in the 16th century literally covered the rest of the church. The church has not been in use since 1795.

13 km south of Skagen is Råbjerg Mile(Dune), the largest migrating sand dune in Northern Europe. It’s easy to imagine being in the middle of a desert.with a unique flora and fauna.

Link to more information

Thanks.  Did not mean to take you off-topic, but we are spending a couple of days in Copenhagen post-cruise next summer, and I have been able to find LOTS of information on Copenhagen, thus, think I have our days there fully mapped out.

Skagen is a different beast.  Not much online other than Grenen and Råbjerg Mile.  I had though about renting bikes there for the day if the weather cooperated.  I looked at Google Maps, and it appears you have to ride on the main road to get there and I did not know how that would be with traffic (tour buses from the ship) passing by.   I was also curious about if you were to "park" your rented bike at Grenen or the dunes, I assume it does not come with a lock to secure it when walking around on foot.  That would be a LONG hike back to town if someone took your bike.

2 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I had though about renting bikes there for the day if the weather cooperated.  I looked at Google Maps, and it appears you have to ride on the main road to get there and I did not know how that would be with traffic (tour buses from the ship) passing by.   I was also curious about if you were to "park" your rented bike at Grenen or the dunes, I assume it does not come with a lock to secure it when walking around on foot.  That would be a LONG hike back to town if someone took your bike.

Denmark is a country with many cyclists. In Skagen, it will be obvious to rent bicycles.
On all major roads there are separate cycle paths - the narrow road next to the main road in the picture.
In most places there is a separate parking area for the bicycle and yes, you simply lock the bicycle when you park.
Cycling is covered by the Road Traffic Act and there are large fines for, for example, driving over/right turning at a red light or using/talking on a hand-held mobile phone while cycling.

IMG_4916.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, hallasm said:

Denmark is a country with many cyclists. In Skagen, it will be obvious to rent bicycles.
On all major roads there are separate cycle paths - the narrow road next to the main road in the picture.
In most places there is a separate parking area for the bicycle and yes, you simply lock the bicycle when you park.
Cycling is covered by the Road Traffic Act and there are large fines for, for example, driving over/right turning at a red light or using/talking on a hand-held mobile phone while cycling.

IMG_4916.jpeg

Thanks.  That definitely answers one of my questions.  Now we just need to know if any of those companies that rent the bikes actually have locks so we could lock them up and do a bit of walking after getting to our destinations (many of which will have a lot of sand and not be ridable).