Need help planning Athens, please.

LDL1220

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the day mostly worked out, but now I'm working on getting BACK to the ship.  How much time should we allow?  Our departure is 6pm.  I tend to like to give an hour window, so plan to arrive back at the ship by 5pm.  

Taxi? Welcome Pickups type transfer? Bus?

thanks!

On 9/16/2023 at 10:39 AM, cruisemom42 said:

It helps if you know about how much the ride should be and I would add that often it is best to negotiate a fixed fare in advance. If they try to charge you extra once you arrive, be firm and hand them only the agreed-upon amount. 

How does the Uber app fit into this discussion?  I have read that Athens does not allow Uber in the typical fashion (privately owned cars being used as Uber) but some taxis now use the app and you can call a taxi using the app.   If so then wouldn't the app calculate the fare and charge your credit card accordingly?    Or is the app being used just to hail the taxi, then you are on your own to negotiate?

4 hours ago, CCJack said:

How does the Uber app fit into this discussion?  I have read that Athens does not allow Uber in the typical fashion (privately owned cars being used as Uber) but some taxis now use the app and you can call a taxi using the app.   If so then wouldn't the app calculate the fare and charge your credit card accordingly?    Or is the app being used just to hail the taxi, then you are on your own to negotiate?

It’s a fair question, and I don’t know the answer as I haven’t been in Athens since before Covid when Uber use wasn’t allowed. I have the same question re: whether a price estimate is offered (and accepted by passenger) or not. If it is, it would be an advantage - even if prices aren’t cheaper (which the info I’ve read suggests) because you know what the cost is.

The downside seems to be that taxis may not accept the request during busy times or may be slow in doing so. That wouldn’t be great if your end game is to get to the Acropolis as early as possible…

If you do use Uber, it would be great if you’d come back and post about how it worked for you.

There's also the X80 bus that runs from the port to Acropolis, May - Oct, 

I looked at it last yr when I considered a cruise that stopped in Athens, but I took a different cruise.

But it was only 4E for the day pass and IIRC it was  20-30 minute ride.

X80 Piraeus – Acropolis – Syntagma Express Bus Line – OASA

16 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

There's also the X80 bus that runs from the port to Acropolis, May - Oct, 

I looked at it last yr when I considered a cruise that stopped in Athens, but I took a different cruise.

But it was only 4E for the day pass and IIRC it was  20-30 minute ride.

X80 Piraeus – Acropolis – Syntagma Express Bus Line – OASA

Not sure what happened to my original reply - thank you.  We usually book with a local tour company but it seems like we could just follow @cruisemom42 's advice above and make our own trip of it.  We do have one in our party who has some difficulty walking but whether it's on our own or with a tour, it seems like there's gonna be a lot of walking in Athen's either way. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 6:30 PM, cruisemom42 said:

My suggestions, for what they are worth:

-- Get off the ship early and get a taxi to the Acropolis entrance. If you can get there when the gates open you'll have about 90 minutes before it gets overcrowded. You can purchase advance tickets here.

-- After the Acropolis, walk back down the slope (making sure to see the Theatre of Dionysus) and then along the short path to the Greek Agora. It's not as visited but is well worth it. There is a Greek temple there (you can see it from the top of the Acropolis) that is far more complete than the Parthenon and is well worth seeing up close. Also there is a small museum inside the reconstructed stoa (Stoa of Attalos) that's fascinating. It includes actual ostraka (broken pottery pieces) that Athenians used to vote out or "ostracize" citizens who they felt were abusing power -- you'll see actual written names of famous "classical" Greeks such as Themistocles and Xanthippus.  (Rick Steves has a good audiotour or self-guided walk in his guidebook if you prefer written).

-- After this, you can continue on foot to the nearby Monastiraki area and have a gyro platter or some souvlaki for a quick lunch. (This area is known for its casual restaurants, easy to find one. They range from basic hole-in-the-wall takeout with tables on the sidewalk to real cafes.)

-- Now you're close to the Roman Forum, which includes an actual paced space (forum) as well as remains of several Roman buildings, including a library built by Hadrian.  At the bottom of the Roman Forum is the wonderful Tower of the Winds, a beautiful but rather enigmatic octagonal building built entirely of marble.

-- From here it's up to you. You could walk back through the Plaka, with a quick stop to look at the Arch of Hadrian and the Temple of Olympian Zeus (unless really interested, a quick outside view is fine).  End at the Acropolis Museum, where you can learn more about the current and previous buildings on the acropolis, as well as see bits of sculpture from excavations there. You should be able to catch a taxi from here or, slightly backtrack to the area in front of Hadrian's arch where the X80 express bus stops.

-- Alternatively you could walk to Syntagma Square from the Roman Forum to see the old Royal Palace and Changing of the Guard. The X80 bus also has a stop here, and there are always taxis in this area.

This is really helpful!  Our ship docks at 5:30, what time should we plan on leaving for the acropolis?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering - we can purchase Acropolis tickets on site right? We’re in Athens Nov 20 and I plan to DIY Athens city tour using Rick Steves guide and in the afternoon visit Acropolis. As such I don’t have an exact timing to purchase tickets in advance.

1 hour ago, Seininya said:

Just wondering - we can purchase Acropolis tickets on site right? We’re in Athens Nov 20 and I plan to DIY Athens city tour using Rick Steves guide and in the afternoon visit Acropolis. As such I don’t have an exact timing to purchase tickets in advance.

Yes, you can. There is a ticket office by either entrance. You should not have any problem in November.  Check for last admission time on the website.

Edited by marazul

We took a two-day tour of Athens with Onoufrios Dovletis. We can highly recommend him.

He was responsive and helpful to all of our pre-tour emails.  He was punctual and prompt during the tours.

Onoufrios was extremely knowledgeable about the history, culture and literature of his country.  He was able to clearly communicate all that he knows in a compelling and informative manner.

Above all, he was kind, interesting and supportive at all times.  A good man and an excellent tour guide!

Do you recommend doing the Acropolis on your own or as part of a tour.  Looking at Athens-walks Ancient Athens tour.  It looks to be 4 hours 9-1.  Our ship arrives at 7.

So, should we do on our own using @cruisemom42 suggested itinerary , or book a tour.

On 9/15/2023 at 3:30 PM, cruisemom42 said:

My suggestions, for what they are worth:

-- Get off the ship early and get a taxi to the Acropolis entrance. If you can get there when the gates open you'll have about 90 minutes before it gets overcrowded. You can purchase advance tickets here.

-- After the Acropolis, walk back down the slope (making sure to see the Theatre of Dionysus) and then along the short path to the Greek Agora. It's not as visited but is well worth it. There is a Greek temple there (you can see it from the top of the Acropolis) that is far more complete than the Parthenon and is well worth seeing up close. Also there is a small museum inside the reconstructed stoa (Stoa of Attalos) that's fascinating. It includes actual ostraka (broken pottery pieces) that Athenians used to vote out or "ostracize" citizens who they felt were abusing power -- you'll see actual written names of famous "classical" Greeks such as Themistocles and Xanthippus.  (Rick Steves has a good audiotour or self-guided walk in his guidebook if you prefer written).

-- After this, you can continue on foot to the nearby Monastiraki area and have a gyro platter or some souvlaki for a quick lunch. (This area is known for its casual restaurants, easy to find one. They range from basic hole-in-the-wall takeout with tables on the sidewalk to real cafes.)

-- Now you're close to the Roman Forum, which includes an actual paced space (forum) as well as remains of several Roman buildings, including a library built by Hadrian.  At the bottom of the Roman Forum is the wonderful Tower of the Winds, a beautiful but rather enigmatic octagonal building built entirely of marble.

-- From here it's up to you. You could walk back through the Plaka, with a quick stop to look at the Arch of Hadrian and the Temple of Olympian Zeus (unless really interested, a quick outside view is fine).  End at the Acropolis Museum, where you can learn more about the current and previous buildings on the acropolis, as well as see bits of sculpture from excavations there. You should be able to catch a taxi from here or, slightly backtrack to the area in front of Hadrian's arch where the X80 express bus stops.

-- Alternatively you could walk to Syntagma Square from the Roman Forum to see the old Royal Palace and Changing of the Guard. The X80 bus also has a stop here, and there are always taxis in this area.

Edited by kohanfam
Wanted to ask @cruisemom42 about how long she thinks this itinerary would take

• 3 months later...
On 9/15/2023 at 4:13 PM, LDL1220 said:

Hi all:

I will be in Athens May 2, 2024 for a port stop.  There are 4 of us, all physically fit, enjoy walking etc.  To my knowledge, there will be one other ship in port that day and we will be there from 7a-6p.  We do want to see the Acropolis and Parthenon.  Beyond that, I am not sure and we are open to anything.  I would love suggestions for an itinerary within that time frame that will be easy to accomplish.  I am not interested in a ship's tour but am open to independent operators.  

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Lisa 

We are doing an Olympian Morning where we go to the original site of the Olympic games and learn something of a few events. They end the time with a race which I wont be doing though lol

We are also doing an evening bike tour of the city.  Me and my fella did this in Paris and it was fantastic....a really good way to see the city.

You can do a street food tour....a food and drink tour.....that kind of thing. All very small groups and low key.
Bike ride by the sea.
Trip to the islands
Waterpark
Hiking....

Many good options

7 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

We are doing an Olympian Morning where we go to the original site of the Olympic games and learn something of a few events.

I'm confused. The original site of the Olympic games was Olympia....not Athens.