Pride of America ,Maui

morrowz

50 minutes ago, morrowz said:

Most are booked out ,and they are 400 and 500 each person ,we have booked Haleakalā sunset for our first day ,but not sure what to do on the second day

We did the Molokini  Crater Snorkel and the Outrigger canoe excursions back in March, as well as the Sunset one you're doing.  I hope you have better weather for the sunset one, ours was in pouring rain and there was nothing to see.  Molokini and Outrigger Canoe were great day excursions though.

5 hours ago, morrowz said:

We won’t be spending the day in Lahaina now ,so we will hope to catch a bus or taxi to sightsee ,around the port of Kahului.I have been reading it is too far to walk to places ,thank you for any suggestions 

Do note that there is nothing to do in Kahului, as it is a commercial/industrial port area that does not cater to visitors.  Rent a car (roads are easy to drive on Maui), get some free informational brochures (such as 101 Things To Do On Maui. - and they are available on line) and make your own tours.  There is so much to see that does not cost a fortune and/or stick you with a bus load of people..  Don't limit yourself.  Google is your friend.

2 hours ago, morrowz said:

It is just a bit disappointing

Well its been a disappointing few months for a lot of us that call the place (for certain times of the year) home. As you said-- it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, morrowz said:

we are not interested in snorkeling.,or the beach,thanks anyway

You made an interesting choice in destination if beaches aren't your thing. I agree with SilverSweethearts-- there is nothing to do in Kahului. Its an industrial port, airport area, and big box shopping area.

You can either rent a car and head towards Hana, Upcountry (up the mountain to some fun very small towns like Kula), or head to Wailea which is a big resort area. In Wailea you don't necessarily have to go to the beach but there are some nice hotels like the Four Seasons, Fairmont, and Hotel Wailea that have great restaurants/bars etc. 

It's possible that Kapalua will be back open for business (you don't say exactly when you'll be there)-- there is a nice Ritz-Carlton and Montage hotels with some dining options. I'd normally say to check out the resort area at Kaanapali (again pending reopening) but its mainly a beach, albeit one of the nicest on the island. 

Thank you ,we will be in port 2 nd and 3 red October ,we have Haleakala sunset on the 2 nd ,and yes ,I was going to book a shore excursion but the ones I am interested in are not available.I see on Google maps ,we could walk to a sugarcane museum ,and a few other interesting things ,so I am hoping that will work ,and yes ,we may have made a wrong decision to visit Hawaii ,🤦‍♀️we live at the beach and have whales and turtles as well .and I worked in the sugar industry 🤷‍♀️I think it is always human nature to think the grass is always greener on the other side ,I will let you know how it all compares after the 7 th October 🤔

12 hours ago, morrowz said:

I see on Google maps we could walk to a sugarcane museum ,and a few other interesting things ...

We must caution that the walk you describe is two miles long on a street that has rather heavy traffic all day.  Not the best walk.  The museum charges $7.00 for admission which, to us, is high for the sleepy little place it is.