Replacement for Footloose on NCL Joy

Cheer Mom D

2 hours ago, nhtravels said:

@BirdTravels are the Birds sailing to Bermuda on the Joy in October?

The Birds' Alaska cruise in the Haven ended last week,,, and it was a bit chilly. The Bird will be sailing to warmer climates on the Joy (warm weather birds). But, unfortunately, only in a Club Balcony this cruise. The Birds will be back in the Haven on the Viva after that. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 6:07 PM, Cheer Mom D said:

Our cruise will be the first cruise that Footloose will no longer be the show.  Has anyone heard what the replacement will be?

Choir of Men is what  heard it will be. We did not care for it but others might.

1 hour ago, vivalv66 said:

Choir of Men is what  heard it will be. We did not care for it but others might.

Ooh! I really hope it is Choir of Man. We loved that on the Escape (and actually saw the show twice on one sailing). Where did you hear that?

• Like 3

well, that is puzzling, if true. they’re not going to save much money by replacing “footloose” with “choir.” it’s a smaller scale musical, but not by much. still a decent sized cast and… live musicians!

NCL has been leaning towards solo acts… violinists (with prerecorded backing tracks), singers, magicians and comics.

On 9/23/2023 at 11:46 PM, UKstages said:

well, that is puzzling, if true. they’re not going to save much money by replacing “footloose” with “choir.” it’s a smaller scale musical, but not by much. still a decent sized cast and… live musicians!

NCL has been leaning towards solo acts… violinists (with prerecorded backing tracks), singers, magicians and comics.

We just returned from Joy on 9/25. We went to see Footloose on the 21st, second show at 10 pm. It was really a fantastic show. All the singers had great voices. I was surprised how big the cast was when they did the curtain call. During the show it did not seem like it, but when they all came out at the end, the line of people went across the whole front of the stage. The young man who played Ren was so talented. He had good energy the entire time, and was very entertaining.

I hope NCL finds an appropriate replacement. The shows and lounge entertainment on Joy were among the best I have seen since the restart. I will post a short review of our experience later today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sunshine55 said:

Shows on TV have changed to many game shows..all about the money...NCL following the same marketing.  If the passengers BUY into it, it will stay unfortunately

The Price is Right was on the Prima and there was no charge. They randomly pick people from audience to participate. It was fun.

So hoping Wheel will not be a charge either. Just like Price is Right.

1 hour ago, FlGoodShips said:

The Price is Right was on the Prima and there was no charge. They randomly pick people from audience to participate. It was fun.

So hoping Wheel will not be a charge either. Just like Price is Right.

It's saving NCL from paying for a production show..all about the money

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:29 PM, BirdTravels said:

Yeah,,, but they demolished it and installed the District Brewhouse so the Americans could get their beer.

Horrible. Who would have thought that Americans prefer beer over tea? Weird, right? 😆

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sunshine55 said:

Shows on TV have changed to many game shows..all about the money

perhaps.

the current increase in reality shows and game shows on television is directly related to the writers' and actors' strikes, only one of which has been settled.

2 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

The Price is Right was on the Prima and there was no charge. They randomly pick people from audience to participate. It was fun. So hoping Wheel will not be a charge either. Just like Price is Right.

i'm sure the game shows will continue to be run in the theatre without charging admission.

but NCL is attempting to pass off a game show as a replacement for legitimate cruise ship entertainment... and it's not. it's just not. it's atrium entertainment, all pimped out with better production values and the possibility of a few small prizes for a few audience members.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:
  1. I don't want the Broadway style productions to be replaced with comedians or magicians.  That would be a big NO for me.

NCL confirmed that Footloose would be replace with Wheel of Fortune on the Joy. I think that the next cruise is their last performance. My best guess is that they will deinstall footloose and be ready to swap during the Joy’s dry dock. 

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL confirmed that Footloose would be replace with Wheel of Fortune on the Joy. I think that the next cruise is their last performance. My best guess is that they will deinstall footloose and be ready to swap during the Joy’s dry dock. 

I was on Joy in September. Had a conversation with some actors from Footloose and the ship’s production manager. The actors were unaware of auditions for a specific replacement show (although NCL held auditions recently with a list of specific songs that would be required).  The production mgr confirmed Birds thought that the set/props/costumes were being offloaded during dry dock. She said NCL hadn’t told her what was replacing Footloose. 

I’m going to hope that NCL understands the importance of the Broadway level productions as a marketing tool. These shows are a major factor in our choosing a cruise as a vacation option and NCL specifically. Remove the entertainment and a cruise vs an all inclusive resort become, in my opinion, much less discernible. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, MCMC100 said:

Remove the entertainment and a cruise vs an all inclusive resort become, in my opinion, much less discernible. 

Well, except for the cost. Have you priced AI resorts lately? Yikes!

7 minutes ago, Teach124 said:

If I wanted to watch a game show I could turn on the TV.  I enjoy the shows. 

Totally agree. NCL said new cutting edge shows were coming to "enhance" the onboard experience. Translation....we are going to copy what Carnival Cruise Lines has been doing for years.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm currently on the joy. there are two comics this week who perform in both "the social" and the theatre. there's also NCL's production show "elements, as well as the magician po cheng lai (who is also in "elements" and who has been on board for more than a year and whose act has grown rather tired). in addition there was some sort of novelty act, mr. and mrs,. fefolov, which was  apparently an acrobatic ballroom dancing duo. (i didn't attend.) "elements" played for two nights. last week (i'm doing a back to back), there were three comedians, in addition to  "footloose" and "elements," as well as a singer.

• Thanks 1

also on the joy this past week… a singer named donnie  troy who does an elton john tribute show, as well as as a highlight show featuring his most requested songs. i saw the highlight show and i thought it was dreadful.