I hate to burst your bubble

bitob

8 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Is breakfast and lunch popular in the QG restaurant.

1 hour ago, fourmile.ranch said:

I've got you beat... bathrobe in the Commodore shortly before six! Grills passenger (yes I watched where he came from) came and got drinks every evening I assume to drink while getting dressed.

PXL_20230709_193439764.MP.jpg

You do indeed 😂

1 hour ago, Down-Unders said:

Why do you bring the Freemasons into you dress code? if you are not a Mason how do you know how they dress.

That post about Mason dress was from @Dunvectrin', not me.
BTW, I was once invited to a Masonic officer installation and was intrigued by the dress at the ceremony. 

Why do you bring the Freemasons into you dress code? if you are not a Mason how do you know how they dress.

In fairness to NE John I found the quote in another thread about dress codes. The poster there was of the opinion that people who weren't freemasons or members of a rugby club and thus might be  unused to formal dinners , and would be unaware of how to dress properly. 

It was no more than that and certainly not casting aspersions on those particular folks.

As I stated I wasn't a member of neither of those clubs and therefore I would never comment on their peculiarities. 🙂

Edited by Dunvectrin'
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dunvectrin' said:

In fairness to NE John I found the quote in another thread about dress codes. The poster there was of the opinion that people who weren't freemasons or members of a rugby club and thus might be  unused to formal dinners , and would be unaware of how to dress properly. 

That was mainly my fault, actually. The point I was trying to make was to try and not offend our wonderful friends and partners in Gemany, where simple ownership or access to a dinner jacket may be harder than in the UK. In the UK, in a strange form of (um) Levelling Up, whether you are a bricklayer with no GCSEs or a senior hospital consultant with umpteen qualifications, there is a good chance that something in your life, from freemasonry or golf or rugby or professional dinners that will result in you owning a dinner jacket, even if gets a little dusty. That seems less likely the nearer you live to the Rhine, even though they are a more equal society in other ways.

• Like 2

On our first Cunard cruise next year, my husband, who has a black tie ensemble, has chosen to leave that at home and, instead, will wear a rather posh dark suit.  On other nights, he will wear a blazer, or smart jackets.  I am impressed, though, with Cunard’s dress code.  I think that, by following it, we are showing respect for each other.  I do hope my husband does not let Cunard and people down.  Actually, I love to see him in his dinner suit ; however, he does not particularly like traveling and calls himself, my tag along.  Do you get the picture?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, escrick said:

On our first Cunard cruise next year, my husband, who has a black tie ensemble, has chosen to leave that at home and, instead, will wear a rather posh dark suit.  On other nights, he will wear a blazer, or smart jackets.  I am impressed, though, with Cunard’s dress code.  I think that, by following it, we are showing respect for each other.  I do hope my husband does not let Cunard and people down.  Actually, I love to see him in his dinner suit ; however, he does not particularly like traveling and calls himself, my tag along.  Do you get the picture?  

You never know, he might change his feelings about travelling after the cruise.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

You never know, he might change his feelings about travelling after the cruise.

One can only hope.  We have booked two QM2 cruises for 2025.  I love the Cunard Board.  Thanks for your lovely answer—a great thought to keep in mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, escrick said:

One can only hope.  We have booked two QM2 cruises for 2025.  I love the Cunard Board.  Thanks for your lovely answer—a great thought to keep in mind.

I wouldn't worry at all about this. A decent dark suit is completely in line with the Gala nights' dress code, as written out on the website, in the brochure and in the Daily Programme. While I may have a preference for the dinner jacket / tuxedo solution, the reality is that he needs to feel good, confident and happy in what he is wearing. A dark suit sounds right for him and he won't stick out. Plus it sounds like he may slightly be over-dressed for Smart Attire nights. No harm in that, and he will hopefully be just as comfortable, if not more so. So that's him dealt with, now you can focus on your dazzling outfits.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, NE John said:

We got our masks on Amazon for $4 each. I ended up looking like a professional wrestler! This is the same tux I wore for our first TA in 2008  IMG_3408.thumb.jpeg.0951af2baac4bf19c4f13a2b82ceec53.jpeg

I think you look very dashing in a James Bond sort of way...HOT!!!

And your wife certainly is lovely, classic - nothing better than the simple black dress & pearls...thank you Audrey Hepburn!!!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

And your wife certainly is lovely, classic - nothing better than the simple black dress & pearls...thank you Audrey Hepburn!!!

Why thank you! She puts out a lot of effort into getting into the Gala night vibe. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

As a Mason, I will answer. Officers wear a tuxedo at meetings. The point, I suspect, was that Masons own them, not rented, nor bought cheaply either. As it is worn frequently, few would buy a cheap polyester one. Nobody wants to sit in a meeting wearing what feels like a plastic bag. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

I wouldn't worry at all about this. A decent dark suit is completely in line with the Gala nights' dress code, as written out on the website, in the brochure and in the Daily Programme. While I may have a preference for the dinner jacket / tuxedo solution, the reality is that he needs to feel good, confident and happy in what he is wearing. A dark suit sounds right for him and he won't stick out. Plus it sounds like he may slightly be over-dressed for Smart Attire nights. No harm in that, and he will hopefully be just as comfortable, if not more so. So that's him dealt with, now you can focus on your dazzling outfits.

Thank you, thank you!  Yes, he is confident.  Also, he always says that he would rather not follow the crowd. 🙂

• Like 1

we started our cruising history with NCL liking the idea of informal dress as we both wore business suits for work

However we always changed for evening which is equivalent of smart on Cunard

our first Cunard cruise was on transatlantic QM2 last year and I got him a tuxedo from ebay

he enjoyed wearing it and lent it his own style with his long [greying] blond hair and beard

now going on a queen Victoria cruise next month and booked Queen Anne next year

also booked first cruise with MSC next year with family[they status match with other lines] 

so expanding choices of cruise line

• Like 4

One idea for all those w style change resistant male partners - the black suit is a more modern form of formal today & can be used for other occasions also. 

Along with dinner jackets - there are so many to choose from - paired w a pair of black dress trousers - this is a great way for a man to bring out his personality - onboard & ashore.

5 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

my daughter on our gala Night last week on. Queen V. (not quite Audrey as she is very curvy, but the black dress & pearls are the most gorgeous options indeed!)

9_6050_12_Ab_Lobby Balcony_HJ_0105.JPG

• Like 15

3 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

thank you!!!!!!!!!! ❤️ 

You’re daughter is the personification of someone who made a top-notch effort to look great on a Cunard Gala Night. 
I believe many of her peer want to ditch the sloppy look we see these days and create a great look like hers. I hope that thus will be the first of many Cunard voyages for her and that she encourages her well-dressed friends to sail here too. 

• Like 4

On 9/23/2023 at 1:41 AM, mtnesterz said:

As a Mason, I will answer. Officers wear a tuxedo at meetings. The point, I suspect, was that Masons own them, not rented, nor bought cheaply either. As it is worn frequently, few would buy a cheap polyester one. Nobody wants to sit in a meeting wearing what feels like a plastic bag. 

Sir, you could be talking to a WPM.

On 9/21/2023 at 11:24 PM, Down-Unders said:

if you are not a Mason how do you know how they dress.

We used to assist at dance classes held in two masonic halls. One had many photos from lodge activities displayed. In the early 80s I recall meeting one of my colleagues en route to a lodge meeting. At the time I naïvely thought he was heading to a snooker club and his little case contained a screw together cue! 🙂

There are also lots of photos and videos of events on the internet. I'm sure there are things that aren't shown but type of attire doesn't seem to be a secret.