Large Group on Sky Princess

Tiggipaws

Also check THIS SITE

I have seen posts regarding cruises with this particular group onboard and they have mostly been negative. It seems they tend to completely take over the pool and other venues and engage in a lot of inappropriate PDAs. I have no issue at all with their particular lifestyle but most folks keep certain actions more private.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Also check THIS SITE

I have seen posts regarding cruises with this particular group onboard and they have mostly been negative. It seems they tend to completely take over the pool and other venues and engage in a lot of inappropriate PDAs. I have no issue at all with their particular lifestyle but most folks keep certain actions more private.

I’ve seen straight couples making out in hot tubs on every cruise I’ve been on.  Bad behavior isn’t limited to any one group - but when you single out one group it seems like maybe you do have an issue with their “lifestyle”.  

There are people that think any public display of affection between two men is inappropriate, so it’s not really surprising that you’ve seen posts that are mostly negative.

That group was on Discovery last October.  I don’t think it was a very large group on that particular cruise, and it didn’t impact me at all.  

Edited by Abercrombie2019
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

I’ve seen straight couples making out in hot tubs on every cruise I’ve been on.  Bad behavior isn’t limited to any one group - but when you single out one group it seems like maybe you do have an issue with their “lifestyle”.  

There are people that think any public display of affection between two men is inappropriate, so it’s not really surprising that you’ve seen posts that are mostly negative.

That group was on Discovery last October.  I don’t think it was a very large group on that particular cruise, and it didn’t impact me at all.  

One of our cruise buddies is LGBTQ.  He's told stories about Atlantis themed cruises he's been on with RCCL.  Not here to comment on what is right or wrong.  Having said that, even RCCL has banned this group from doing certain things as described the article below:

https://www.queerty.com/gay-cruise-line-pleads-with-guests-to-stop-making-adult-content-on-their-ships-20230208

13 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

One of our cruise buddies is LGBTQ.  He's told stories about Atlantis themed cruises he's been on with RCCL.  Not here to comment on what is right or wrong.  Having said that, even RCCL has banned this group from doing certain things as described the article below:

https://www.queerty.com/gay-cruise-line-pleads-with-guests-to-stop-making-adult-content-on-their-ships-20230208

Not saying it doesn’t happen, just saying it isn’t limited to one group.  

Edited by Abercrombie2019

6 hours ago, mmpgoodtogo said:

On the bright side, I don’t think it will be 500 people or anything, I’d be surprised if it was…. And if we get attacked by pirates, then we have a bunch of people who can go all Liam Neeson in Taken as they all have is “a very particular set of skills…”

Jokes aside, most people that my husband has interacted with over the years of training, and many in the sport aren’t people who will be disruptive from a personality perspective or be obnoxious. At least for BJJ, it is a really disciplined sport, and many people train for years and years with no greater desire then to maybe do amateur competitions and just learn the skills to achieve black belt, which for BJJ can take 10-12 years of consistent training.  Heck, my husband is 41 and didn’t starting training until he was an adult.  He is considered “old” in the sport but he keeps training and working towards that black belt!

Hi On the link it says 800+ have signed up for the cruise already

Princess Cruises to host inaugural PCA National At Sea in December 2023: Reservations open March 8 | The Porsche Club of America

20 minutes ago, Tiggipaws said:

I have no idea about the PCA one, I just mean the Fuji one on the first half of your trip is likely not a giant group. 

We were on the NCL Epic 7 years ago with a group that numbered about 2,000.  They did not close many venues for long, but the group effectively took over the ship. I would not repeat that experience and want to be aware of any large groups sailing with me in the future. For the purpose of avoiding them.  Condolences to the OP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

We were on the NCL Epic 7 years ago with a group that numbered about 2,000.  They did not close many venues for long, but the group effectively took over the ship. I would not repeat that experience and want to be aware of any large groups sailing with me in the future. For the purpose of avoiding them.  Condolences to the OP.

Going to go with optimism, see what happens. Not going to let it spoil my cruise. Always got the balcony to retreat to

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Coral said:

They can book the entire speciality dining room for one or two nights.

For a group of that size I would expect not.  have seen it with smaller groups but usually not with that large of a group.

10 hours ago, mmpgoodtogo said:

I actually kind of love the idea of a Polka cruise.  I grew up in an area where every weekend Germantown would host dances and people would go and listen to polka music, dance and socialize. It was kind of neat and it seems like it is a dying genre anymore. I bet you will be able to strike up some interesting conversations as well as see some extra entertainment. Maybe make a drinking game where whenever you see or hear an accordion you do get a drink? That might go south quickly though.  🙂

I played the accordion as a girl, so the idea of the polka enthusiasts being on board really doesn’t bother me at all. 😁🪗.  But, my friend did not share my opinion.  I think she originally thought that polka music was going to replace all the regular entertainment on board.  I assured her that will not happen.  We agreed that we are relieved that it’s a polka cruise rather than a heavy metal cruise.  So, there is that.  Ha!  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Also check THIS SITE

Thanks VERY much for posting this. I checked our 5 upcoming cruises and we actually missed this group by one week on one of our trips. We disembark from the Sun in Port Everglades just as they are boarding in October 2024.  That being said, we may have B2Bers to contend with, but time will tell.

Edited by lx200gps

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks VERY much for posting this. I checked our 5 upcoming cruises and we actually missed this group by one week on one of our trips. We disembark from the Sun in Port Everglades just as they are boarding in October 2024.  That being said, we may have B2Bers to contend with, but time will tell.

we caught the back of a back to back part - not the whole group, but a few hundred at least.  Took above the aft bar and pool.  On a Halloween cruise ... that night was 'interesting'

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Also check THIS SITE

It's amazing how they can reserve one pool (without asking) for themselves & no one else will consider using it. 🙄

• Like 1

we found out we were sailing with a large polka group on board. I also thought "cool, I like polka, maybe I'll contact them to see if we can pay a bit to get into some of their events." Their response, " No, we had to book through the group" So we said okay, never mind. Come cruise time various venues we usually liked to attend like the nightclub and such were closed to just them. Embarkation was a mess since they had to cater to the large group. And also dining was a challenge because, you guessed it "we have a large group on board". So it does and will impact any cruise - no matter the kind of group - any group of size makes an impact. Heck even large families can be a hurdle some times. One note: they did let the polka band perform one night for the "masses". It was fun. Just wish it wasn't such a hassle the rest of he cruise.

14 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Is reserving a pool like reserving a deck chair?  Did they put a towel on it and go to the buffet for lunch? 😂

Not quite, and from what I've seen no one seems to bother them when they're using "their pool".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Not quite, and from what I've seen no one seems to bother them when they're using "their pool".

There was a large extended German family that took over the Lotus Spa pool on the Ruby for our Mediterranean cruise (years ago).  Thankfully there were other pools we could go to, even though they weren’t our first choice. 

2 hours ago, figmentdj said:

we found out we were sailing with a large polka group on board. I also thought "cool, I like polka, maybe I'll contact them to see if we can pay a bit to get into some of their events." Their response, " No, we had to book through the group" So we said okay, never mind. Come cruise time various venues we usually liked to attend like the nightclub and such were closed to just them. Embarkation was a mess since they had to cater to the large group. And also dining was a challenge because, you guessed it "we have a large group on board". So it does and will impact any cruise - no matter the kind of group - any group of size makes an impact. Heck even large families can be a hurdle some times. One note: they did let the polka band perform one night for the "masses". It was fun. Just wish it wasn't such a hassle the rest of he cruise.

Ugh.  I was on the Regal Princess or the Sky Princess (can’t remember which) with “Andy Cooney’s Cruise of Irish Stars” three or four years ago.  Do you think the polka group will have more of an impact or is a larger group of people?   It was really no big deal.  I was on an elevator with RonanTynan, so I had a celebrity sighting.  😁

14 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

I’ve seen straight couples making out in hot tubs on every cruise I’ve been on.  Bad behavior isn’t limited to any one group - but when you single out one group it seems like maybe you do have an issue with their “lifestyle”

Riiiiight... Two of the nicest couples we have "shared" cruises with have been gay men. I have a couple of gay friends. My favorite cousin is gay (and was finally able to marry her long time partner a while back), my son's best friend is bi, we know a woman here in town who used to be a man and see her at various functions. Etc., etc., etc.... I live in California for crying out loud. The bears are known for excessive PDAs.

Story: At a Christmas party our oldest son held at his house most of his friends didn't know me. When Matt (bi friend) caught me under the mistletoe and planted a kiss on my cheek the entire room suddenly went silent wondering what the "old guy" was going to do. I just took him by the head, pulled it down to me, and smooched him on the forehead. No big deal.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I live in California for crying out loud. The bears are known for excessive PDAs.

You're used to it, most people aren't. 

2 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

There was a large extended German family that took over the Lotus Spa pool on the Ruby for our Mediterranean cruise (years ago).  Thankfully there were other pools we could go to, even though they weren’t our first choice. 

They sound interesting, the others not so much. 

47 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I live in California for crying out loud. The bears are known for excessive PDAs

@Thrak I appreciate that you are not homophobic (and I'm sorry if my response read that way).  I know what you mean when you say excessive.  I've witnessed a straight couple in a hot tub on the Ruby that was excessive - lets just say I hope they changed the water - but I'll never know since I vacated the area.  

There is a very real anti-LGBTQ movement that is currently gaining momentum.  When a social media site identifies a "group" in a less than flattering manner, there are people out there that will think that group is representative of all LGBTQ people.  I may also have been triggered a bit by the term "their particular lifestyle".   Some people think that "gay" is a lifestyle choice.  It isn't a choice anymore than "straight".  You might not have meant it that way - but there are people that will read it that way.

I don't go on Atlantis cruises, because that isn't the experience that I want, but I'm glad that it exists for the people that do want it.  Actual first hand experience - I have been on a cruise with the bears, and I didn't witness anything excessive (but I do go to bed early).

I have no doubt that there have been instances when the bears have been too much for others - but for some people, the very fact that the bears exist at all is too much.

I do not discriminate.  I avoid ALL large group cruises irrespective of the common factor that binds the group. I suppose if the WOPN held one of its events on a ship instead of in Santa Barbara I might make an exception.  But that's about it.  Otherwise, I always do an internet search for my ship and date of travel to see if any group is advertising special rates or booking options.  If something turns up and the group looks too large for my tastes, I find another cruise.  800 people would be too much for me to accept.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Don't you mean when their using "your pool"?

When you have a large group and there are 80-90 people from that group using all the loungers around the main pool and in the pool at all times it pretty much blocks others from using the pool. This behavior has been reported by others in the past. We have never personally been on a cruise that was impacted by any large groups.