Staying in Murano rather than Venice

Suwar18

14 minutes ago, Suwar18 said:

In order to avoid hassle of dragging luggage all over Venice, was thinking of staying in Murano and day tripping to Venice. Any thoughts?

If your intention is to spend most of your time in Murano then by all means, but much like Venice proper, hotels along the canals in Murano you can access directly from a water taxi but you'll be schlepping luggage in Murano to hotels that are not on canals just as you would in Venice. 

If the intention is to spend most of your time in Venice then you'll just waste a bunch of time commuting between the two. With only two days I would splurge for a hotel with their own private dock in Venice proper and just also splurge for a water taxi to get there. You'll stay right where you can walk to most things and you won't have to drag your luggage anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

Usually the Piazzale Roma is the 'easiest' location.  PRoma is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where buses, taxis, cars drop off pax for their visit.  There are a few hotels right on the PRoma and several more that only require a short walk and a small bridge to cross.

How are you arriving to Venice ...airport? train?   And how are you getting to your cruise port .... ships transfer? train? bus?     These answers might also determine the 'easiest' location.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Usually the Piazzale Roma is the 'easiest' location.  PRoma is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where buses, taxis, cars drop off pax for their visit.  There are a few hotels right on the PRoma and several more that only require a short walk and a small bridge to cross.

How are you arriving to Venice ...airport? train?   And how are you getting to your cruise port .... ships transfer? train? bus?     These answers might also determine the 'easiest' location.

The Hyatt in Murano has an airport shuttle. That's why I chose it. My cruise leaves from Trieste. Rome2Rio shows car services from Murano to Trieste. Being a newbie, I really can use advice from experienced travelers 

20 minutes ago, Suwar18 said:

The Hyatt in Murano has an airport shuttle. That's why I chose it. My cruise leaves from Trieste. Rome2Rio shows car services from Murano to Trieste. Being a newbie, I really can use advice from experienced travelers 

Cars are not allowed on Murano. I'm not sure how you would get a car service to take you to Trieste. Did you actually find a company, or are you just relying on Rome2Rio (which can be inaccurate)?

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Cars are not allowed on Murano. I'm not sure how you would get a car service to take you to Trieste. Did you actually find a company, or are you just relying on Rome2Rio (which can be inaccurate)?

Interesting...guess I can't believe everything I read 

25 minutes ago, Suwar18 said:

If you really have your heart set on staying in Murano (which would not be my choice given virtually the same amounts of tourists swarming over the many glass shops and factories...) I supposed you could take the Hyatt launch back to the airport and -- assuming your cruise line offers one -- catch their transportation from the airport to Trieste.

• Thanks 1

I suspect if you check the route Rometorio is providing it will consist of several forms of transportation, i.e. 1st Alilaguna (private company water bus)  or vaporetto (public water bus (don't do this with luggage as they can be very,very crowded) ) from Murano to P. Roma then land bus or car or train to Trieste. Depending on where your hotel is located on Murano the Alilaguna to P. Roma might work. Another choice is a water taxi, convenient if your hotel is on/near a canal but very pricy especially for one.

Assuming the main reason for choosing to stay in Murano is for easier luggage handling and simpler  then I would check Alilaguna's routes from the airport and to P. Roma and choose a hotel that is very close to their stops that service both those locations. They will hold your large luggage in a corner in the boarding deck and you will take your small carry on below with you. Just don't simply walk past your luggage when you get of the boat.

Note: most hotels that are on a canal will offer a shuttle service but it m might not be owned by them but they just book an expensive water taxi for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Suwar18 said:

The airport shuttle is a water launch from the airport-- not a car. Cars can't access Murano at all and very limitedly Venice proper. As cruisemom said-- unless touring Murano is a big part of what you want to accomplish in Venice, it will put you at a disadvantage with the limited time you have to see the main sites. Wouldn't be my first choice either. Find a spot in Venice thats fits your budget that ideally has their own private dock or is near Piazzale Roma or adjacent Santa Lucia Station. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you really have your heart set on staying in Murano (which would not be my choice given virtually the same amounts of tourists swarming over the many glass shops and factories...) I supposed you could take the Hyatt launch back to the airport and -- assuming your cruise line offers one -- catch their transportation from the airport to Trieste.

I believe the shuttle is only for passengers that booked flight thru NCL 

25 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

I suspect if you check the route Rometorio is providing it will consist of several forms of transportation, i.e. 1st Alilaguna (private company water bus)  or vaporetto (public water bus (don't do this with luggage as they can be very,very crowded) ) from Murano to P. Roma then land bus or car or train to Trieste. Depending on where your hotel is located on Murano the Alilaguna to P. Roma might work. Another choice is a water taxi, convenient if your hotel is on/near a canal but very pricy especially for one.

Assuming the main reason for choosing to stay in Murano is for easier luggage handling and simpler  then I would check Alilaguna's routes from the airport and to P. Roma and choose a hotel that is very close to their stops that service both those locations. They will hold your large luggage in a corner in the boarding deck and you will take your small carry on below with you. Just don't simply walk past your luggage when you get of the boat.

Note: most hotels that are on a canal will offer a shuttle service but it m might not be owned by them but they just book an expensive water taxi for you.

Good idea, I have so much to learn 

26 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

The airport shuttle is a water launch from the airport-- not a car. Cars can't access Murano at all and very limitedly Venice proper. As cruisemom said-- unless touring Murano is a big part of what you want to accomplish in Venice, it will put you at a disadvantage with the limited time you have to see the main sites. Wouldn't be my first choice either. Find a spot in Venice thats fits your budget that ideally has their own private dock or is near Piazzale Roma or adjacent Santa Lucia Station. 

Great advice. I will try to find a hotel near PRoma. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open 

17 minutes ago, Suwar18 said:

Great advice. I will try to find a hotel near PRoma. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open 

Good recommendations in the link below. In fact, I recommend the whole "Venice for Visitors" site. There definitely is a bit of a learning curve as it is such a different city (particularly in terms of getting around).

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Also, re: the NCL shuttle. I would double-check (or have your TA do it). I would be surprised if you couldn't book it for a price.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Good recommendations in the link below. In fact, I recommend the whole "Venice for Visitors" site. There definitely is a bit of a learning curve as it is such a different city (particularly in terms of getting around).

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Also, re: the NCL shuttle. I would double-check (or have your TA do it). I would be surprised if you couldn't book it for a price.  

Thank you so much 

I need all the help I can get 

The Hyatt Murano is very well situated and right by the stop for the water taxis.  It takes no more than 20 minutes to get to the main tourist sites.  We stayed there in 2019 for week and I loved it and would happily return.  I really liked pootling around by water taxi.

Catherine

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, KforKitty said:

The Hyatt Murano is very well situated and right by the stop for the water taxis.  It takes no more than 20 minutes to get to the main tourist sites.  We stayed there in 2019 for week and I loved it and would happily return.  I really liked pootling around by water taxi.

Catherine

Thanks so much. Glad to hear from someone who stayed there! 

4 hours ago, Suwar18 said:

Perhaps they have a car that floats :).  In order to get to Trieste you would first need to get back to the mainland or the P. Roma (in Venice).  That means dragging your luggage on a Vaporetto, the Alilaguna, or an expensive water taxi in order to get to a place where you can access roads or the train.

Hank

You could take the Hyatt water taxi/ shuttle to the airport and from there arrange a taxi to Trieste. On cruise day, there will be many taxis or car services to take you there. You can buy the NCL transfer or coordinate with others on your cruise to share a taxi to Trieste

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Suwar18 said:

We're staying there for 2 nights post cruise

2 hours ago, Suwar18 said:

Thanks so much. Glad to hear from someone who stayed there! 

We stayed there too and found it very convenient.  The vaporetto practically drops you in the lobby and they will get you to the airport free of charge. It’s definitely very quiet in Murano at night. Not a ton of restaurant choices but we enjoyed the peace!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1