Live: Explorer, Vancouver/Alaska/Japan

fudge

Back to yesterday, we set sail from the glacier after about an hour, it was truly a remarkable sight to see. Another very long sail indeed but once again a very smooth passage.

The afternoon was spent collecting more points, the trusty roller ball game and more golf putting, I think we are quite sad really but so are the other thirty people there, incidentally the same people, so we are now first name terms with at least fifty people on the ship.

Mr Fudge is slowly working his way through the cocktails, there is a cocktail named after every ship in the fleet called signature cocktails, he has tried two already.

At 4 pm on the nose our afternoon canapes arrived, huge prawns with a dipping sauce and crisps/chips, neither of us was hungry but we eat them anyway, it would have been rude not to.

As advised by our butler we ate at the Sette Mari, we arrived at 20.30 to be told it was full, we were put on a wait list and advised to go for a drink, we went to the observation lounge and ordered a drink, you guessed it, the moment it came we got a call to go to the restaurant.

There were a number of antipasti brought to the table so we did not order an appetizer, I went for Osso Buco, Mrs Fudge went for the Swordfish, I could not believe my eyes when my dish arrived it was huge! It tasted better than it looked, easily the best meal I have had so far, a definite “wow” dish.

We left the restaurant for a nightcap on deck 5, now becoming our favourite place for drinks.

Now then, this is very strange, we ordered coffee in our suite the next morning, our butler arrived at 07.15 and sat the coffee and pastries down, I asked him could he deliver a bottle of Pino Grigio for the suite? He replied, that’s what you had with your meal last night, how would he know that?

Monday, 25th Sept, Seward Alaska.

First mistake of the day, Mrs Fudge jumped out of bed eagerly to pour the coffee, she had no clothes on (too much information there) Mr Fudge said “not sure what you are wearing but it needs ironing” now then, he has to stay in the suite all day, he does not want to be seen walking around the ship with a Black eye!

There are two excursions today, we chose not to take either, one is five hours long, the other seven and a half hours, although the weather looks nice its quite cold.

Situated at the head of resurrection bay Seward is one of the oldest and most picturesque destinations in Alaska, downtown district is known for its charming shops and restaurants, as well as the busy harbour. Seward is visited between March and May due to whale migrating season and whale watching cruises that operate from Seward during this time.

With all the best intentions we went to the gym, full, no machines to be had.

So, with a patch over his eye, we both braved the cold and did ten laps of the jogging track followed by a nice hot chocolate on the warm end of the pool deck, this area has heaters and is cosy.

We left the ship to stretch our legs and go into town. The free shuttle bus was every thirty minutes, we waited in line for 20 minutes, it was pretty cold. We were only on the bus 5 mins; we could have walked but we weren’t to know that it’s about a mile walk. Once there it was just gifts shops, nothing exciting really, good exercise though walking back to the ship.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, fudge said:

Now then, this is very strange, we ordered coffee in our suite the next morning, our butler arrived at 07.15 and sat the coffee and pastries down, I asked him could he deliver a bottle of Pino Grigio for the suite? He replied, that’s what you had with your meal last night, how would he know that?

The staff (including restaurants/bars/butlers/attendants/etc) can make notes on your "account".  They include likes/dislikes.  Relevant staff will take notice and act on it.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 1

We were on the treadmill the other day and spotted people in the infinity pool at the back of the fitness centre, this afternoon we tried it, lovely and warm. Great sauna, everything you could want. Back in time for the afternoon canapes. 

pool.jpg

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, fudge said:

We were on the treadmill the other day and spotted people in the infinity pool at the back of the fitness centre, this afternoon we tried it, lovely and warm. Great sauna, everything you could want. Back in time for the afternoon canapes. 

pool.jpg

"Now then", I'm trying to place which part of the UK the expression comes from? I know the now disgraced Jimmy Saville used to say it.

Just now, Redking said:

"Now then", I'm trying to place which part of the UK the expression comes from? I know the now disgraced Jimmy Saville used to say it.

That was a poor choice of words on my part, thanks for reminding me, no one in their right mind wants to remember that guy.!

8 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Around 415am we were able to clearly view the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) aft/starboard side. What a sight!  Alas, this Android did not cooperate to get photos, so I will just have to keep them in my memories.

That would be so exciting!  How did you not be fast asleep?

9 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Around 415am we were able to clearly view the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) aft/starboard side. What a sight!  Alas, this Android did not cooperate to get photos, so I will just have to keep them in my memories.

Oh what a special treat!!!!

Sorry, Im like a child with a new toy now I can upload pictures. This was the curry from the Pacific Rim last evening. I asked for it "super spicy" I could tell by the waiters face that was a mistake!  After three mouthfuls I got brain freeze.

In addition, I tried using the chopsticks which I know I am not very good at, I could only retrieve food the size of small peanut, I was still there at 01.30 with a tired looking crew waiting to retire to bed! 

curry.jpg

• Haha 4

I used to run ships up that way years ago and got to see the Aurora twice.  Once was a mind blowing show.  The other was on a (typical) full cloud cover night.  Reminded me of being on the back side of a drive in movie screen.  You know there are lots of lights there but you can't see them.  🍹

To pick up from yesterday. Back at the ship we went to Prime 7 for lunch. Mrs Fudge had the trout with horseradish sauce, Mr Fudge had the clam chowder, followed by the turkey schnitzel, Mrs Fudge had the fishermen’s platter, breaded seafood.

We found out there is an infinity pool (warm) at the spa, we tried it, lovely experience, sauna, showers, all in all a great way to relax especially on a sea day, we have five to come!!

Afternoon canapes were fruit tarts and spring rolls, thank heavens we booked business class flights, we would not be allowed in coach/economy.

We had our first visit to Pacific rim last evening, lovely atmosphere, lovely staff. The food was probably the best we have eaten while on board, as you can see, I posted a picture of the curry which was super delicious.

After our usual nightcap we retired fairly early.

At 04.15 am there was an announcement from the bridge, “ding dong” good morning ladies and gentlemen this is your Captain speaking. I thought the ship had collided with Moby dick and we were sinking! He said we could see the Northern lights on the starboard side, of course we are on the port side. Mrs Fudge shot out of bed like a gazelle and was out of the door like lighting, thankfully she remembered to put on her bathrobe!

That’s unusual because if we get ready for dinner and I am always first she will say, “you will have to wait, I’m doing my hair”

So, I strolled to deck 11 the pool deck, I looked and looked but could not see anything, I asked a guy next to me did I miss something? He just shrugged his shoulders. It was worth going though just to see the dress code, some people looked better than when they go for dinner! There was one lady though had a mixture of clothing, I am sure she put on her husband’s clothes by mistake, she looked like coco the clown.

Tuesday 26th September

After being woken up by the captain at some unearthly hour, the morning coffee arrived along with fresh toast and pastries, it really is a nice treat.

We have docked in our last port before we leave Alaska, Kodiak. It has a population of about 6,000, it is the largest Island in Alaska and second largest island in the US after Hawaii’s big island. The Alutiq people have inhabited the larger Kodiak area for over 7,000 years.

When Russia sold Alaska to the US in the 1860s it quickly became a centre for commercial fishing and the fishing industry remains a major driver of the Kodiak economy today. Kodiak Island is the home to the Kodiak bear, the largest bear species in the world. If you choose to dine out, Alaskan king crab is favourite as is salmon fish and chips.

Excursions: We were wait-listed for a one-hour bus tour of the Island, the day before we were told go to the pier at 09.55 and see if there are cancellations? We were glad we didn’t go on the one-hour tour, there are no luxury buses only school buses.

One couple who were going went to the bus, they got on, seats were broken it was cramped so they got off.

We didn’t bother, the walk to town is only 0.7 miles. We collected more points on the golf game then walked into town if you can call it that?

There were 8 hardware stores, one gift shop and one restaurant, that was it! The stroll took about 15 minutes.

We stayed about 30 minutes and walked back to the ship for lunch, more later……

• Like 4