Trinadad and Tobago

Squiggles

On 9/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, Squiggles said:

Thanks, but I was looking for more tangible information. I appreciate your reply though.

Hi Squiggles.

As the other recent posts in this forum have said, there don't appear to be any cruise ships stopping at Trinidad and Tobago right now.  I know Royal Caribbean starts in November, so hopefully we will start to see some feedback then.

I know it's frustrating at this point.  I have also tried to ask questions on the T*Advisor forum, but get no answers or oddly short answers when I ask about safety or about things to do.  Our cruise stops at Trinidad during Carnival, which sounds great, but when I asked about suggestions for where we could hang out to see parade/costumes, all I got was "Queens Savannah Park" (which is specifically spelled out in the State Department warning as a place to avoid!).  It kind of leads me to think that maybe locals know they've got a serious crime problem, but don't want to "trash" their island on the forum.  Most posts do say that Tobago is considered safer...

We are cruising on Jewel as well at the end of January. Glad to get some feedback on these two islands but this seems to be the theme of safety issues. Don't want to miss the experience of these islands but sounds like going with the ships excursions might be a better bet.

• Like 1

Trinidad isn't the island you want to go wandering off on by yourself.

Christmas is beautiful so hopefully around the port area should do you well as getting those vibes going in December.  Definitely look for some good local cuisine if you can.

But I highly encourage booking a tour with the cruise line if you want to do any real exploration of the island.  It's just too crazy down there sometimes.

We want to go on a February trip with the Jewel to see some family, and it's Carnival week, but even for us we want to factor in time, safety and crowds to see if it's even worth it.

Still undecided.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:07 AM, Squiggles said:

Thanks everyone for the information! I really appreciate it. I've booked ship excursions on both Trinidad and Tobago. I will definitely update this after our cruise in December! Thanks very much!

Can I ask which cruises you have decided on? We are looking at the Caroni Bird Santuary/Trinidad and the Arglye Waterfall/Tobago. Would be interested in your updates

On 10/17/2023 at 6:07 AM, Squiggles said:

Thanks everyone for the information! I really appreciate it. I've booked ship excursions on both Trinidad and Tobago. I will definitely update this after our cruise in December! Thanks very much!

Can I ask which cruises you have decided on? We are looking at the Caroni Bird Santuary/Trinidad and the Arglye Waterfall/Tobago. Would be interested in your updates

On 10/11/2023 at 7:13 AM, kdawg954 said:

Trinidad isn't the island you want to go wandering off on by yourself.

Christmas is beautiful so hopefully around the port area should do you well as getting those vibes going in December.  Definitely look for some good local cuisine if you can.

But I highly encourage booking a tour with the cruise line if you want to do any real exploration of the island.  It's just too crazy down there sometimes.

We want to go on a February trip with the Jewel to see some family, and it's Carnival week, but even for us we want to factor in time, safety and crowds to see if it's even worth it.

Still undecided.

Can you elaborate plz? I have my mother with me. Is it ok to walk off the ship and explore the town? Anything there to see? 

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on a family cruise in March with 8 family members. My MIL (84 yrs. old) will be with us. We have held back on booking any excursions in Trinidad & Tobago due to the less than stellar reports I have heard so far. Please report your experiences in both locations so we (and others) can make decisions based on first-hand experiences.

• Like 1