Oceania vs. Azamara in South America

Eartha

Hi.  My husband and I are trying to decide between cruise options for a Winter 2024 cruise that includes the southernmost ports of South America with or without Antarctica.  Based on the itinerary we have drilled down to either 20 days on Oceania/Marina including Antarctica from Feb-Mar or 15 nights in January on Azamara/Quest excluding Antarctica.  We prefer ships that carry fewer than 2,000 passengers.  We prefer to DIY shore excursions.    We are familiar with the Marina and the "old" Oceania.  Know nothing about Azamara first-hand or about the "newer" Oceania.  

So basically asking two questions:  What would we be missing if we excluded Antarctica since neither cruise actually permits setting foot on land.  How different would the onboard experience of Azamara be compared to Oceania? I am cross-posting this on the Azamara page as well. 

Thanks very much in advance!

• Like 1

Just  note the Marina is twice the size of Azamara ships

4 specialty restaurants on Marina

larger w/c on Marina

I would compare  the ports  & time in ports  (they could change )

Go for the itinerary that works best  for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eartha said:

Hi.  My husband and I are trying to decide between cruise options for a Winter 2024 cruise that includes the southernmost ports of South America with or without Antarctica.  Based on the itinerary we have drilled down to either 20 days on Oceania/Marina including Antarctica from Feb-Mar or 15 nights in January on Azamara/Quest excluding Antarctica.  We prefer ships that carry fewer than 2,000 passengers.  We prefer to DIY shore excursions.    We are familiar with the Marina and the "old" Oceania.  Know nothing about Azamara first-hand or about the "newer" Oceania.  

So basically asking two questions:  What would we be missing if we excluded Antarctica since neither cruise actually permits setting foot on land.  How different would the onboard experience of Azamara be compared to Oceania? I am cross-posting this on the Azamara page as well. 

Thanks very much in advance!

First, I'm actually on the Marina cruise you are considering.  The Antarctica portion is as close as I'm going to ever get to my seventh continent and not landing is not a dealbreaker.  I can look at stuff and not feel compelled to touch it, like in museums 😎

Also, I was on Marina a blizzard in the North Atlantic and she handled it without an issue, I wouldn't want to do that or Drakes Passage in an R ship.  The ship would be fine, me, not so much.  

Whichever you choose I can't imagine you won't have a fantastic time.

• Thanks 1

We sail both lines but have done a Marina in SA but not the Antarctic. 

I would seriously compare the itineraries and time in each port. For example, you want the longest port time you can get in Ushuaia. Are there multiple ports to see the penguins? What other experiences do you want?

With O you now have the excursions as part of Simply More. Of course you don't have to use them but you are paying for them. We prefer to do our own excursions and the last trip we used EcoUruguay for every port in January '23. There are other companies of course.

Happy planning. Either would work for me.

• Thanks 1

As Oceania is always cutting hours from port times, do a comparison with Azamara. I suspect you will find AZ has much longer port times. Also be aware that the port times for O that show now are likely to be reduced after you have made the final payment. This is their new modus operundi.

6 hours ago, susiesan said:

As Oceania is always cutting hours from port times, do a comparison with Azamara. I suspect you will find AZ has much longer port times. Also be aware that the port times for O that show now are likely to be reduced after you have made the final payment. This is their new modus operundi.

I believe that O is always cutting from port time is a bit of an overstatement - on our upcoming Vista 1 port time was reduce by 1 hour and 4 port times were increased by at least an hour....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, basor said:

I believe that O is always cutting from port time is a bit of an overstatement - on our upcoming Vista 1 port time was reduce by 1 hour and 4 port times were increased by at least an hour....

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who did not have any port times reduced off their itinerary from the time they booked to the time they took the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who did not have any port times reduced off their itinerary from the time they booked to the time they took the cruise. 

I just did but I guess because one was cut short the fact that several others were increased doesn't count.  Try reading the Seabourn, Crystal, Viking and other CC threads,  all are complaining of the same thing - so not just Oceania that has made port changes.  

• Thanks 1