Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Excursions in Puerto Vallarta & Cabo


djtx2
 Share

Recommended Posts

Cabo is a tender port.  To get off the ship involves taking a tender ashore, so "that don't involve water" is not possible.  My favorite excursion is the water taxi tour out to the Arch.  

 

Puerto Vallarta has a lot of excursions, many of which involve tequila.  My favorite excursion recently was a Tequila Tasting and Mayahuel Tour -- the Mayahuel Show was a Cirque type show based on Mexican folklore about the origin of tequila.  

 

PV, many people just take a shuttle to the Malecon (downtown pedestrian area) and walk along the Bay, sightsee, shop, eat and drink.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2023 at 5:20 PM, Mike45LC said:

Cabo is a tender port.  To get off the ship involves taking a tender ashore, so "that don't involve water" is not possible.  My favorite excursion is the water taxi tour out to the Arch.  

 

Puerto Vallarta has a lot of excursions, many of which involve tequila.  My favorite excursion recently was a Tequila Tasting and Mayahuel Tour -- the Mayahuel Show was a Cirque type show based on Mexican folklore about the origin of tequila.  

 

PV, many people just take a shuttle to the Malecon (downtown pedestrian area) and walk along the Bay, sightsee, shop, eat and drink.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

For Puerto Vallarta, I would recommend to walk from the Malecón Boardwalk to Los Muertos Beach.

It is a 5 miles route to see and discover:

- sculptures from Mexican Artists at the Malecon Boardwalk

- The Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe

- The municipal market at Rio Cuale

- The Island of Rio Cuale

- La zona romantica, the trendy and colorful neighborhood

- Lazaro Cardenas Park with colorful tile mosaics and sculptures

- End at Los Muertos Beach for a dining experience

 

If you are interested, I wrote a quick article: For pics and more details

 

Enjoy your visit!

Picture1.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 1:19 AM, Marie.A said:

For Puerto Vallarta, I would recommend to walk from the Malecón Boardwalk to Los Muertos Beach.

 

Quick question- how did you get to the Malecon from the ship? I'm assuming walking isn't the best option but wanted to ask!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, notscb said:

Quick question- how did you get to the Malecon from the ship? I'm assuming walking isn't the best option but wanted to ask!

There are plenty of taxis in PV, and they can usually be found at small taxi stands that are located in many spots around town.  If you need to know where to find taxis, just ask a local ("gringo" or Mexican) to point you to the taxis.  In addition, in PV we also have Uber, so if you have the Uber app (and know how to use it), you can summon an Uber car.  In Mexico, unlike here in the US, you can tell your Uber app if you want to use your normal credit card (which is done through Uber, not the driver) or pay in cash.  If you do want to pay in cash (Pesos are the norm although a driver might accept US Dollars) the Uber App will give you the price.  Tipping for taxis/Uber in Mexico is not required, but most of us do give some tips to good drivers.

 

As to the cruise port, all the drivers know where it is located (across the street from Walmart or Liverpool).  

 

Hank

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Just a note, i read in a bliss review that it was slow to get off cabo the tender port if you weren’t doing an excursion. I don’t know if its like that with othercruise ships.

Two weeks ago, on Celebrity Eclipse, if you had no excursion through the ship, no status (suite or frequent cruiser status), it took us two hours to get ashore.  We went for tender tickets at 1:45 p.m. [the ship began tendering at 1:15], and it took almost 1 1/2 hours before our group was called to get into the line to go to the tender.  Then it took 1/2 hour to get ashore -- our tender stood off the pier for about ten minutes while we sat waiting our turn to dock and off-load the passengers.  So 2 hours from when we got our tender tickets until we were ashore.  We overnighted in Cabo, so this was not as horrible as it could have been.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 1:19 AM, Marie.A said:

For Puerto Vallarta, I would recommend to walk from the Malecón Boardwalk to Los Muertos Beach.

It is a 5 miles route to see and discover:

- sculptures from Mexican Artists at the Malecon Boardwalk

- The Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe

- The municipal market at Rio Cuale

- The Island of Rio Cuale

- La zona romantica, the trendy and colorful neighborhood

- Lazaro Cardenas Park with colorful tile mosaics and sculptures

- End at Los Muertos Beach for a dining experience

 

If you are interested, I wrote a quick article: For pics and more details

 

Enjoy your visit!

Picture1.png

Thank you- enjoyed your article!  Question- did you feel safe walking in the area? Thanks! 

Edited by L1211
Gibberish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, L1211 said:

Thank you- enjoyed your article!  Question- did you feel safe walking in the area? Thanks! 

Having lived in the area for 18 winters, I can assure you the area from the cruise port and through town is very safe.  Just like any tourist city we do have some issues with pick pockets, so you should take routine procedures to protect your valuables.


I should also mention we have no fear of eating/drinking in our local restaurants/ cafes.  PV is a true “foodie” town with some really decent food.

 

Hank

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Having lived in the area for 18 winters, I can assure you the area from the cruise port and through town is very safe.  Just like any tourist city we do have some issues with pick pockets, so you should take routine procedures to protect your valuables.


I should also mention we have no fear of eating/drinking in our local restaurants/ cafes.  PV is a true “foodie” town with some really decent food.

 

Hank

Super helpful- thank you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2023 at 6:20 PM, Mike45LC said:

Cabo is a tender port.  To get off the ship involves taking a tender ashore, so "that don't involve water" is not possible.  My favorite excursion is the water taxi tour out to the Arch.  

 

Puerto Vallarta has a lot of excursions, many of which involve tequila.  My favorite excursion recently was a Tequila Tasting and Mayahuel Tour -- the Mayahuel Show was a Cirque type show based on Mexican folklore about the origin of tequila.  

 

PV, many people just take a shuttle to the Malecon (downtown pedestrian area) and walk along the Bay, sightsee, shop, eat and drink.  

Is the "water taxi tour" through the cruiseline or one they offer at the port?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you get off the tender in Cabo, there is a huge swarm of vendors selling tours.  Probably every one of these vendors will sell you a water taxi tour. 

 

It is a standard tour, leaving from a dock in the Marina, going out to the Arch by way of Lover's Beach (where you can get off the water taxi [warning:  no services, and you wade ashore]), a quick stop to see fish through the "glass bottom", a stop to admire the stinking sea lions, a stop at the Arch, and a stop by Divorce Beach.  The only usual variation in this tour is if some passengers want to get off at Medano Beach (lots of services, but again, you need to wade ashore).  

 

The cruise lines offer lots of tours, but I don't know if they have this basic no-frills boat ride.  The cost is too low for the cruise line to make money on this -- $10 or $12, plus a $1 dock fee.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2023 at 7:38 AM, wlbox said:

Where do you catch the bus?  Cost to malecon?  Bus number 

The buses can be caught along the main road that runs in front of the port (you will see Liverpool, Walmart and Sam’s across this major road.  Depending on your actual pier (there are 3) the closest bus stop varies.  The fare is $10 (pesos) and you should have it Pesos as many drivers will not handle dollars because of the new electronic fare boxes (you just drop in your pesos).  Take any bus that has “Centro” in the windshield and avoid any bus that says “Tunel.”

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...