Delta Economy

Markanddonna

I am traveling solo so booked Delta Economy to Europe which stipulates I can't get my seat assignment until check in. I have three legs to this trip and have to get the seat assignment at the gate and also don't seem to be able to check in for the 2nd and 3rd leg. Advice?

Agree with FlyerTalker.  It sounds like you booked Delta's "basic economy" which is very restrictive.  Not much you can do except wait until you get to the airport to check your bags.  At that point you can get your seat assignments and boarding passes.  However....it's also possible that that your 2nd and/or 3rd legs are on a European Sky Team partner, and for basic economy, you might have to wait to get those seat assignments at the subsequent airports where you connect. 

46 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Agree with FlyerTalker.  It sounds like you booked Delta's "basic economy" which is very restrictive.  Not much you can do except wait until you get to the airport to check your bags.  At that point you can get your seat assignments and boarding passes.  However....it's also possible that that your 2nd and/or 3rd legs are on a European Sky Team partner, and for basic economy, you might have to wait to get those seat assignments at the subsequent airports where you connect. 

That's what it sounds like. Hopefully, since there are seats available, I should be okay. Lesson learned...after about 100 flights under my belt.

The Alliance seems to be quirky. I have to get my seat at the airport for the leg to BOS but Air France issued my seat and boarding passes for the other two legs. The Delta app isn't showing my boarding passes at all. Ugh.  So, printing out passes is the way to go for these flights.

21 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The Alliance seems to be quirky. I have to get my seat at the airport for the leg to BOS but Air France issued my seat and boarding passes for the other two legs. The Delta app isn't showing my boarding passes at all. Ugh.  So, printing out passes is the way to go for these flights.

Sometimes if you are connecting to partner airlines, the seat assignments are available on the individual airline site using (usually) the same booking number.

I booked a flight with Air Canada and United from Toronto to Sydney and the AC portion showed the seat booked for AC, but I had to go to the United site to book my seats for the second leg from LAX to SYD.

Neither airline ever showed my seats all the way through, even though they showed the flights.  Confusing.

On 9/24/2023 at 1:40 PM, Markanddonna said:

I am traveling solo so booked Delta Economy to Europe which stipulates I can't get my seat assignment until check in. I have three legs to this trip and have to get the seat assignment at the gate and also don't seem to be able to check in for the 2nd and 3rd leg. Advice?

Best of luck to you...I for one would have paid the extra to choose my seat when the reservation was made...especially for an International flight. Would never take the chance of a middle seat.

In the end, it worked out great. I had three flights and was given all the boarding passes at the first gate. I was one of the few fortunate ones to have all three middle seats free so I could stretch out on the red-eye flight. I had a free seat into me on another flight.

If I was traveling with someone else, I would have ponied up for the fare when I could select my seats.

I consider this just another travel experience and I would do it again to save a few hundred, but only if flying alone.

• Like 1