Urgent help - parents passport stolen in Athens

Mark_UK

10 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Thanks for your thoughts. My parents got home on Wednesday and still feel quite down. We had to uninstall the Celebrity app as it was sending them notifications about where they would otherwise be on each day. They are going for an appointment to get a fast-track replacement passport tomorrow. 

Their insurance have sadly stated in writing that they won't cover the cost of cruise, so we're hoping that Celebrity will issue a credit as a goodwill gesture that they can use for the identical 16th sailing. Celebrity are saying they need confirmation from the ship that they didn't board which seems to be taking a while. 

Annoyingly prices have also gone way up and not that many cabins left so it's all a bit nail biting. They were originally booked into a Veranda which are now close to £5000 ($6000) and the credit will probably be worth about £3300 if all goes well. 

Hope everything works out for your parents and they can join us on the 16th.  We have an active roll call here and also in Facebook.  

• Like 4

travel ins companies are in business to sell policies,  and some work hard to deny claims.

we once cancelled  two days before a cruise for  my emergency gall bladder surgery..no issues..they just paid. 

years later, with  another company, we had to cancel right  after final payment  when dtr recd a serious diagosis needing surgery asap.  They tried to say it was a "pre existing"  condition..

yes..cancer always is until it is discovered.  We fought, got supervisors involved and they relented.( she is doing  fine so far!)

Even so, still worth getting it for most issues that might come up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Thanks for your thoughts. My parents got home on Wednesday and still feel quite down. We had to uninstall the Celebrity app as it was sending them notifications about where they would otherwise be on each day. They are going for an appointment to get a fast-track replacement passport tomorrow. 

Their insurance have sadly stated in writing that they won't cover the cost of cruise, so we're hoping that Celebrity will issue a credit as a goodwill gesture that they can use for the identical 16th sailing. Celebrity are saying they need confirmation from the ship that they didn't board which seems to be taking a while. 

Annoyingly prices have also gone way up and not that many cabins left so it's all a bit nail biting. They were originally booked into a Veranda which are now close to £5000 ($6000) and the credit will probably be worth about £3300 if all goes well. 

Mark, if your parents booked via a reputable cruise agent they may have some “pull” with Celebrity if they contacted them directly it may do something to get your parents case pushed further up the chain. 

Or a DM ago Celebrity on X/ Twitter and their press office maybe as to what a great opportunity for them to get some great publicity at little or no cost if they gave then an upgraded cabin on the next cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jo-b said:

Mark, if your parents booked via a reputable cruise agent they may have some “pull” with Celebrity if they contacted them directly it may do something to get your parents case pushed further up the chain. 

Or a DM ago Celebrity on X/ Twitter and their press office maybe as to what a great opportunity for them to get some great publicity at little or no cost if they gave then an upgraded cabin on the next cruise. 

Thanks, the travel agent tried their hardest but was getting nowhere really. It was only when I contacted the executive office that we actually had some sort of positive interaction. I may point this post out to them and highlight this would be a good PR win! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, drarill said:

Hope everything works out for your parents and they can join us on the 16th.  We have an active roll call here and also in Facebook.  

I hope so too! I am actually also on the 16th sailing so would be great to have them sail with us. We wanted to sail together but my partner couldn't get the leave during September so we booked separately. Having them sail with us feels like it would make up for it all, even if they have to downgrade and pay a bit more. 

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

I hope so too! I am actually also on the 16th sailing so would be great to have them sail with us. We wanted to sail together but my partner couldn't get the leave during September so we booked separately. Having them sail with us feels like it would make up for it all, even if they have to downgrade and pay a bit more. 

"Stiff upper lip" Mark. It could still happen.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Thanks, the travel agent tried their hardest but was getting nowhere really. It was only when I contacted the executive office that we actually had some sort of positive interaction. I may point this post out to them and highlight this would be a good PR win! 

Doing the right thing would  have much better PR  value than  "after seniors were ripped off by thieves Cebritity  shows no compassion!"

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I'm thinking about 'trip interruption' coverage ... they were 'in the middle of their trip' when the PPs were stolen.  All I know for sure is that insurance people go to work every morning to see how many claims they can deny ... that's their job.  OUR job is to carefully study each and every policy; but I know very few people who have the ability to read more than a page or two.  What a racket.  

You know for sure?

Not my experience - every claim paid in full the last one for cancellation on the morning we were due to travel was paid in under a week. 

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

rts” that’s what we carry.

On a lighter note we went to our grandson’s school in Dallas to register so we could collect him. The school asked for a Drivers Licence which my wife didn’t have. They were very reluctant to accept a Passport until the Principal confirmed that was OK 

I was standing behind someone at a liquor store and a lady who was obviously drinking age was trying to use her passport as ID. The clerk would not accept it as they were required to check DL or state issued ID. She would not accept the passport. She probably would not have accepted a passport card either.  

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I was standing behind someone at a liquor store and a lady who was obviously drinking age was trying to use her passport as ID. The clerk would not accept it as they were required to check DL or state issued ID. She would not accept the passport. She probably would not have accepted a passport card either.  

Sorry but that should have been reported.  A pp is a legal form of ID and probably even better than a DL.  That must have been a store issue because I have used my PP when buying alcohol while on vacation.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Sorry but that should have been reported.  A pp is a legal form of ID and probably even better than a DL.  That must have been a store issue because I have used my PP when buying alcohol while on vacation.  

Likely the employee was doing what she was told to do by her boss. Liquor stores are afraid of losing their license so they can be dogmatic and give employees strict instructions. When I buy wine at Target I have to show my DL even though I am obviously a senior.  That’s how they make sure an employee does not screw up  by requiring a DL without exception.  There is no law that says the business has to accept Passports as proof of age. 

• Like 1

Certainly the hint that adverse publicity would follow them making two senior citizens lose their dreamed of cruise or bankrupting them might help focus the collective mind! 

• Like 2

I like this news! Would be lovely if they could sail with you. I really hope Celebrity help as much as they can, I feel so bad for your parents. I think we all do! Good luck.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ladylemondrop said:

I like this news! Would be lovely if they could sail with you. I really hope Celebrity help as much as they can, I feel so bad for your parents. I think we all do! Good luck.  

If they could sail with you they may feel a bit safer too after their awful recent experience….The worse thing about being a victim of a crime, in my opinion, is it leaves you feeling vulnerable and can affect your confidence. 

Mark, I think you will be more than ready now for your cruise! 

• Like 3

On 9/28/2023 at 12:29 PM, Traveling Fools said:

On 9/27/2023 at 2:21 AM, Torfamm said:

Passport cards have your name, photo, and date of birth but unique numbers and dates can be different.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:32 AM, HxFx said:

The passport card has a different number, even if you get them at the same time.

While your actual PP number doesn't appear on a PP Card, all other pertinent information and numbers do.

If you need to report a stolen passport, it is helpful to have the passport number, issue and expiration dates. The passport card is not going to have that information. The best advice is to have a copy of the passport available. An electronic version saved as a photo on a phone, attached to an email, or in a Google Drive folder are practical suggestions.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 1:29 PM, Mark_UK said:

My parents had both a photo and scanned copy of their passports on them - no one would accept it. 

We’re they not asked for the passport numbers etc when they reported them stolen?

9 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

You may be correct but this is exactly the point l was making about Passports/Driving Licences - being right doesn’t help you at the time when the person making/ enforcing the “rules” says otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Likely the employee was doing what she was told to do by her boss. Liquor stores are afraid of losing their license so they can be dogmatic and give employees strict instructions. When I buy wine at Target I have to show my DL even though I am obviously a senior.  That’s how they make sure an employee does not screw up  by requiring a DL without exception.  There is no law that says the business has to accept Passports as proof of age. 

A lot of staff are stuck when they are presented with something out of the ordinary. Their instructions are adequate for the vast majority of customers i.e. state issued ID or DL, and they are never briefed on all possibilities. There’s certainly no rule that says a tourist from another country can’t buy alcohol,  but without a manager or owner to make an exception, only US drivers can buy drinks. It’s frustrating.

12 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Hi Mark,

going back to the original issue.

I have checked with Nationwide this morning who advised as follows;

1) their policy would not automatically provide a refund of the cruise in the circumstances faced by your parents.

2) they don’t know of any policy issued in the U.K. that would cover the situation faced by your parents.

3) you can’t pay an additional premium to cover such events.

On a positive note had your parents been able to prove that the passports were locked in the hotel safe (or if they been carrying the documents in a secure place/pocket and force was used to steal the docs) the Claims Department would be likely to look favourably on a claim for cancellation.

Looks like we all have to be very vigilant.

Geoff. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Torfamm said:

We’re they not asked for the passport numbers etc when they reported them stolen?

No seems not, as part of the online application for a new one they just automatically cancel your old one. Assume there must be a central database. 

Edited by Mark_UK

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

Hi Mark,

going back to the original issue.

I have checked with Nationwide this morning who advised as follows;

1) their policy would not automatically provide a refund of the cruise in the circumstances faced by your parents.

2) they don’t know of any policy issued in the U.K. that would cover the situation faced by your parents.

3) you can’t pay an additional premium to cover such events.

On a positive note had your parents been able to prove that the passports were locked in the hotel safe (or if they been carrying the documents in a secure place/pocket and force was used to steal the docs) the Claims Department would be likely to look favourably on a claim for cancellation.

Looks like we all have to be very vigilant.

Geoff. 

Good to know, thanks. My parents had a policy with StaySure (pretty poor coverage in hindsight). I am with Nationwide so very useful to know, I must admit I assumed it would be covered. 

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

If they could sail with you they may feel a bit safer too after their awful recent experience….The worse thing about being a victim of a crime, in my opinion, is it leaves you feeling vulnerable and can affect your confidence. 

Mark, I think you will be more than ready now for your cruise! 

Most definitely! I had been hoping to get lots of tips from their trip so haven't done much planning for it. Best get on it!

No update from today so far, still waiting to hear from Celebrity. Only 2 inside cabins left 😬🫣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Most definitely! I had been hoping to get lots of tips from their trip so haven't done much planning for it. Best get on it!

No update from today so far, still waiting to hear from Celebrity. Only 2 inside cabins left 😬🫣

Can you maybe put a hold on 1?