Jones Act ??

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Was that amount listed as "corporate tax" or a "taxes"? (I don't care to read through the SEC filings to see)  CLIA has admitted in their statements about the economical impact of cruising on the US economy, that the vast majority of taxes paid by the member cruise lines in the US, are local property taxes on their buildings, and Social Security  payments for US citizen employees.

Under the reciprocal agreement you mention in the IRS tax code, all revenue generated by a foreign flag ship is tax exempt in the US.

Listed as corporate taxes. 

Income taxes had a separate line item. 

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Big shocker that next cruise gave you the wrong information.  You started in Brisbane.  That is all that matters.  you could sail as long as you like and end anywhere and you would not be in violation of the PVSA as the PVSA only applies to cruises where your initial embarkation port is a US port.

As I mentioned I had two clients (one on your sailing), that carried on and did the first Alaska cruise.

I totally believe you but I just called RCI to add the 4th leg onto my cruise which would be a Alaska cruise from Vancouver ending in Seattle and they told me I can’t do it as it is a violation. I informed them several times that I was starting in Sydney. They told me because of the stop in Hawaii it was a red flag!!  I really don’t think the people answering the phones have any clue about what they are talking about.  Thinking I’m going to book it myself online….

20 minutes ago, lovetocruise/diamond said:

I totally believe you but I just called RCI to add the 4th leg onto my cruise which would be a Alaska cruise from Vancouver ending in Seattle and they told me I can’t do it as it is a violation. I informed them several times that I was starting in Sydney. They told me because of the stop in Hawaii it was a red flag!!  I really don’t think the people answering the phones have any clue about what they are talking about.  Thinking I’m going to book it myself online….

You are correct that the telephone customer service reps have no clue.  You can go ahead and book online, but you may get a flag in a couple of weeks that this is not allowed.  At this point, or now, if you prefer, call RCI, ask to speak first to a CSR supervisor, and then with the "compliance department", as these are the people who know the PVSA, and who flag the violations (they have lawyers there).

On 9/26/2023 at 12:23 PM, chengkp75 said:

This is completely false.  Cargo can go directly from overseas ports to Puerto Rico, Hawaii, or the US Virgin Islands, just as it does to any mainland US port.  Now, whether or not there is a sufficient market for a ship to call at these locales is a different matter, and the flag of the vessel would have nothing to do with that decision.  In disaster relief, any "international aid" can come directly from the foreign country, direct to Puerto Rico, for instance, and the only thing that hampered relief supplies in Puerto Rico during hurricane Maria was the inability to clear the docks of existing containers to make space for the incoming relief cargo, not a lack of tonnage from Jones Act shipping.  With roads blocked, and no power to pump gas/diesel, trucks could not get to the ports to make room for the relief aid.  This is well documented, but ignored by enemies of the Jones Act.

Odd that the port of Ponce is so open, and so little goes through there. 

But the act does prevent forgiven flagged ships from moving stuff from the US mainland and Puerto Rico. Which does raise the prices of stuff since anything brought from the US is fixed to specific ships.