Jones Act ??

I’m confused about the Jones Act looking for an answer. Flying to Sydney from the United States. Doing multiple B2B, which includes a stop in Hawaii then goes to Vancouver, BC. Then doing an Alaska cruise that ends in Seattle.  Is this allowed since we board the ship in Sydney not boarding in Hawaii? Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Thank you 

I’m not an expert, but I am not sure it will be allowed.  The fine is pretty stiff if CBP decides it violates PVSA (Jones is cargo).  Could you disembark at Vancouver and board a different ship for an Alaskan cruise?

I seem to recall threads in years past when a TA or cruiseline (I don’t recall which one) initially said yes to a similar request then later (shortly before the cruise) decided they could not allowed it. A much worse spot for the passengers…

Edited by Starry Eyes

8 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I’m not an expert, but I am not sure it will be allowed.  The fine is pretty stiff if CBP decides it violates PVSA (Jones is cargo).  Could you disembark at Vancouver and board a different ship for an Alaskan cruise?

I seem to recall threads in years past when a cruiseline (I don’t recall which one) initially said yes to a similar request then later (shortly before the cruise) decided they could not allowed it. A much worse spot for the passengers…

That’s what I remember too 

31 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I seem to recall threads in years past when a TA or cruiseline (I don’t recall which one) initially said yes to a similar request then later (shortly before the cruise) decided they could not allowed it. A much worse spot for the passengers…

Starting in Sydney you can stay on and end whenever you like at whatever port.  The PVSA only applies to cruises starting from a US port. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Pvsa only applies to cruises where your original embarkation is a US port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

If one leg starts in Hawaii you cannot get off in Seattle.

30 minutes ago, lovetocruise/diamond said:

We go from Hawaii to Vancouver,BC then from BC to Alaska ending in Seattle 

sorry I thought you wanted to get off early. 

Others seem to have answered your question now.

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Simply pointing out that either cruise, individually or when combined,  is not subject to the PVSA.

But there is a stop in Hawaii in between.  If they did not board in Sydney but instead boarded in Hawaii and sailed Hawaii to Vancouver and then  Vancouver to Seattle that cruise would be in violation of the pvsa as it would be seen as a cruise from Hawaii to Seattle.  The stop in Vancouver is irrelevant. The only thing that matters in determining if a cruise is PVSA compliant is the initial embarkation port and the final debarkation port 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But there is a stop in Hawaii in between.  If they did not board in Sydney but instead boarded in Hawaii and sailed Hawaii to Vancouver and then  Vancouver to Seattle that cruise would be in violation of the pvsa as it would be seen as a cruise from Hawaii to Seattle.  The stop in Vancouver is irrelevant. The only thing that matters in determining if a cruise is PVSA compliant is the initial embarkation port and the final debarkation port 

Tried Booking similar on Holland few months ago when they running one their a $1 deposit sale, was out from US and Back and online it rejected while trying pay for the second leg, was surprised their website caught it like that. One time I Booked Royal like this the website wouldn't catch it then, but that was long time ago

Just now, ONECRUISER said:

Tried Booking similar on Holland few months ago when they running one their a $1 deposit sale, was out from US and Back and online it rejected while trying pay for the second leg, was surprised their website caught it like that. One time I Booked Royal like this the website wouldn't catch it then, but that was long time ago

Royals website still doesn't catch it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ourusualbeach answered the Op’s question perfectly. In March, I boarded the Ovation in Sydney for a B5B, that ended in Seattle. 2 of the legs were Hawaii and Alaska. No problem whatsoever doing these cruise. Maybe one day, the PVSA will be part of the training for cruise reps from all cruise lines. They still continue to get it wrong, even the name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Don't think of cruising by itself, think of all the different ferry services and river cruises that could suddenly be owned by foreign corporations.

In this day & age, we have a global economy.  Many facets of American industry is owned by Foreign entities, in whole of via shareholders.  What the impact of the need to stop at a foreign port between 2 American ports is what drives me crazy.