Jeans & Casual nights.

blackpool belle

Dress jeans with a nice shirt or blouse has always been acceptable for casual nights. As long as it is up- casual look they will be fine with it. What they are attempting to do is eliminate the torn jean look or shorts in the dining room and no thongs or casual sandals. We usually do a nice pair of jeans with a starched nice chirt and dress shoes for a hip up-casual look and they seem fine with that.

Happy sailing.

Donnie

Can sparkly jeans be worn on casual nights and in particular can you wear them in the dining room or is this frowned upon.

Jeans are not acceptable at any time in the main dining room on any night, casual or formal.

Can sparkly jeans be worn on casual nights and in particular can you wear them in the dining room or is this frowned upon.

I gotta ask Blackpool belle are you just stirring the pot here....with over 1000 posts under your belt you must have seen the jeans issue debated, fought over, and ran thru the mud, over and over again like the rest of us:)

To answer your question, on our 10 nights in the SUN I don't believe I saw anyone ever with jeans on in the dining room at night....for lunch I did see it.

I’m confused – does “sparkly” make jeans less casual? :confused:

I think we all know the drill – first, Princess isn’t consistent in its publication of dress guidelines regarding jeans. Then, Princess enforces the dress guidelines unevenly depending on ship and itinerary. Then we’ll debate whether or not jeans are casual.

Bottom line is that you will not be denied entrance into a dining room on a casual night if you’re wearing jeans, sparkly or no. You will be in the minority as most people interpret Princess’ suggestion that they dress as they would in a “fine restaurant at home" as meaning something more than being casually dressed. And jeans are casual attire whether they’re black, starched or sparkly.

It would be nice if everyone respected the ambience the cruise line and most of its passengers are trying to achieve, but its really up to you.

I gotta ask Blackpool belle are you just stirring the pot here....with over 1000 posts under your belt you must have seen the jeans issue debated, fought over, and ran thru the mud, over and over again like the rest of us:)

To answer your question, on our 10 nights in the SUN I don't believe I saw anyone ever with jeans on in the dining room at night....for lunch I did see it.

It is not my intention or my nature to "stir the pot" nor have I ever been interested in reading any issues over jeans before. I have posed this question now because this year my 20 something daughter will be cruising with me and it was something she wanted to know. If jeans cannot be worn on a casual night then I dont know when they can.

Dak, not sure what you mean. I was asking about casual not formal nights.

Let me quote Princess, and then your daugther can decide what she wants to do....."In the dining room items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted;"

You will get lots of opinions here, but according to Princess, they can not be worn.

It is not my intention or my nature to "stir the pot" nor have I ever been interested in reading any issues over jeans before. I have posed this question now because this year my 20 something daughter will be cruising with me and it was something she wanted to know. If jeans cannot be worn on a casual night then I dont know when they can.

Dak, not sure what you mean. I was asking about casual not formal nights.

Jeans are OK for lunch in the all dining rooms and in the evening she can wear them in the Cafe Caribe, Horizon Court and Pizzeria

Just to clarify it was not my intent to be rude....just unfortunately this question comes up continually, ends up in a heated debate, and then get's pulled when it get's out of hand.

If your daughter wishes to wear her jeans she could change into them after dinner if she wishes to eat in the dining room. I did see that happen. On our last night I dressed for dinner, then packed up the dressy clothing to finish with packing, and wore jeans the remainder of the evening....even that got me nasty looks from other cruisers.....and this was the only evening I did this...

Again...I did not mean to offend...

Largin,

Thank you for the advice. That is what I needed to know, confirmation that jeans are basically no go of an evening.

Thank-you! I know my DW and I appreciate that you inquire!

Just like the airline dress began change in the early 80's, I wonder if cruise dress attire is also slowly changing? Dress jeans don't bother me but on one of our DP sailings a couple came in with ratty old sweats and tees (Sterling), along with there kids. The passengers gave nasty looks, but no one from Princess batted an eye and seated them immediately. We also notice more and more casual attire on formal evenings... rules may not be changing but people are.

First, there is no such thing as a "casual" night. Even on the non-formal nights, you are expected to dress as if dining in a nice restaurant. Having said that.... I took two dresses with me and never wore them. Most nights, people wore nice slacks and a sporty top. We ate at the early seating and I can honestly say I never saw anyone, young or old, in jeans, not only in the dining room, but anywhere on the ship at any time of day. Of course, this was the Panama cruise and it was usually far too hot for jeans. At the second seating, people tend to dress up far more. Even on non-formal nights, people seemed to have on cocktail dress, with jackets and ties on the men. In summary, I think your 20-something daughter will feel awkward in jeans.

Dress jeans with a nice shirt or blouse has always been acceptable for casual nights. As long as it is up- casual look they will be fine with it. What they are attempting to do is eliminate the torn jean look or shorts in the dining room and no thongs or casual sandals. We usually do a nice pair of jeans with a starched nice chirt and dress shoes for a hip up-casual look and they seem fine with that.

Happy sailing.

Donnie

Oh Yeah - I forgot, This from Princess Web Site... Jeans not permitted even though some do wear them. Whatever you wear, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal. Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal. Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

As a middle aged adult female jeans are not that comfortable. Tell you over 20 daughter that the pleasure of a curise is you get to dress up when you cruise. If jeans are her thing fine, go to the buffet.

She is not making any statement in the dining room except she can not dress for a supper.

I have to say that I love my jeans as does my bestfriend...........but the only time we wore them was the day we got on the ship and left.........other than that it was mostly shorts and capris during the day and we would dress up with pants, skirts and dresses and gowns for dinner than go back to our room and change.........................

I did see some people where jeans at dinner and we would comment on it.............they where a group of three or four boys in their ealier 20s.........also when we went to Sabatinis we saw a group of four or so that mostly had on jeans............but lets just say besides the dress they acted horrible and had no class whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy sailing.

Donnie

The new Princess info now says no jeans. It used to say no torn jeans but now the torn is gone.

I saw them tell a woman that she had to go to the Horizon Court one night because she tried to go to the dining room in jeans. It was the first time I ever saw them turn someone away and it was about time.

Oh dear, I see what you mean now Sunflower about people getting heated up on this topic.

I think I can safely say that my daughter does not wish to make any sort of statement. The question was meant to be pure and simple. "Are jeans allowed in the dining room on what is described in the Princess Patter as a casual night" and I now have the answer.

Black pool not to worry this subject gets a lot of people excited . No big deal or harm in asking . No mistake made .

However if you want a real laugh go read "Warning don't gamble " thread for a woman who says she has made a big mistake and wants to warn all others .

Black pool not to worry this subject gets a lot of people excited . No big deal or harm in asking . No mistake made .

However if you want a real laugh go read "Warning don't gamble " thread for a woman who says she has made a big mistake and wants to warn all others .

I am off to look for it right now. I take it as being on the Princess thread?

I have been amazed by all this. It is really quite bizarre:D

Archived