Jeans & Casual nights.

blackpool belle

h2obaby

You learn something everyday. I'd never heard of a whale's tail or a patoot here in the UK. A quick 'google' has completed the picture! This thread has made interesting reading in more ways than one. ;)

Laura

h2obaby

You learn something everyday. I'd never heard of a whale's tail or a patoot here in the UK. A quick 'google' has completed the picture! This thread has made interesting reading in more ways than one. ;)

Laura

Laura, I have to admit that I just learned what a "whale tail" was. Losing our priviledge to wear jeans to school on casual Fridays was a direct result of one too many young teachers displaying her tail at work! Now, I am going to Google it, too!

Debbie

This is the first time in almost 24 hours since I have read this thread and I am amazed to find that it is still going.

Since I am the person who asked the question in the first place I cannot understand why you are commenting about formal and smart casual nights as my original question was referring to casual nights only. As I understand it, according to the Princess Patter there are three types of dress code evenings. Formal, smart casual and casual. My daughter does not necessarily WANT to wear jeans into the dining room on a casual dress code evening she just wondered if it was an OPTION. It really isn't a problem. She is a professional singer and has some beautiful outfits which she will be wearing of an evening. It was just an innocent question as to whether jeans were allowed in the dining room or not on a casual night.

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

I've lived on Maui 26 yrs, I wear shorts ,t-shirt & slippers every day of the year:D

for me if I wear jeans ,aloha shirt & shoes thats formal wear for me!!;)

I say wear them if you want :)

Everyone should learn to relax, HANG LOOSE like they say in Hawaii, its all about having fun

by the way, I'm not new to cruising been 37 have 3 booked:eek:

Rob:cool:

PS its not that I wear jeans every night to dinner, I don't but I have sometimes 1st night many times

I just looked at all the Patters from the week of January 28, 2006 on the Caribbean Princess. As I thought, there was only Formal or Smart Casual recommended for evening dress, with one night deemed Smart Casual/Island Attire.

I've been on five Princess cruises and don't recall there ever having been a "casual" night.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Princess has only Formal and Smart Casual. Gone are the good old days when semi-formal was the third type of dress. I believe RCI is the cruise line with the Formal, “Smart” and Casual options.

I've lived on Maui 26 yrs, I wear shorts ,t-shirt & slippers every day of the year:D

for me if I wear jeans ,aloha shirt & shoes thats formal wear for me!!

But isn’t it what Princess ascribes to Formal that really counts when one is on a Princess ship?

Oh dear, I see what you mean now Sunflower about people getting heated up on this topic.

I think I can safely say that my daughter does not wish to make any sort of statement. The question was meant to be pure and simple. "Are jeans allowed in the dining room on what is described in the Princess Patter as a casual night" and I now have the answer.

LOL...yup, that was all I was trying to do was worn you of the outcome for your very simple question:)

I can't believe how traumatized some people are over this....Is it really that big of an issue? Personally, we enjoy dressing nicely for our dinners on cruises....but until now I never noticed nor cared what everyone else was wearing...I was too busy enjoying the food and spending time with my family...which is the whole point of the vacation.

I can't believe how traumatized some people are over this....Is it really that big of an issue? Personally, we enjoy dressing nicely for our dinners on cruises....but until now I never noticed nor cared what everyone else was wearing...I was too busy enjoying the food and spending time with my family...which is the whole point of the vacation.

I Agree :) :) :) :) :)

That's why I wonder about people who need to pass judgement about what others wear. I wonder if they check out others' cuffs, shoes, jewelry...

That's why I wonder about people who need to pass judgement about what others wear. I wonder if they check out others' cuffs' date=' shoes, jewelry...[/quote']

Actually, yes. Don’t people salivate over what everyone is wearing on the red carpet at all the award shows? And given the fact that there are many here who prefer not to dress according to the guidelines and know that others don't as well, I'd venture to say the "checking out" happens on both sides of the debate.

Actually, yes. Don’t people salivate over what everyone is wearing on the red carpet at all the award shows? And given the fact that there are many here who prefer not to dress according to the guidelines and know that others don't as well, I'd venture to say the "checking out" happens on both sides of the debate.

Salivate over what people are wearing--- you got to be kidding --who cares!!!

remember the movie titantic --were was the fun -- stuffy 1st class or down in steerage 3rd class :D :D

30 minutes of good music & a bottle of jagar and you won't care what your wearing!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Rob

Salivate over what people are wearing--- you got to be kidding --who cares!!!

remember the movie titantic --were was the fun -- stuffy 1st class or down in steerage 3rd class :D :D

30 minutes of good music & a bottle of jagar and you won't care what your wearing!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Rob

Obviously you don’t care, but apparently a lot of people do – and many magazines, networks and newspapers make a bundle because people do. As for the movie Titanic…it was a movie which through dramatization was trying to make a point about class divisions. I think it a bit frivolous to assign manners or lack thereof to class or money spent. And personally I prefer a fine wine and dinner to pretzels and beer.

You know what, although I think the taste of Jagermeister is vile, I’m all for having fun. But I won’t have fun at the expense of the respect for others. I just would like others to do the same for me, that’s all. What’s so difficult about leaving the jeans at home? Or having dinner at Horizon Court which Princess specifically offers for those of you who can’t be without your shorts or denim? Princess publishes their guidelines which indicated jeans are not allowed in the dining room - if that's an issue, than a ticket on another cruise line is called for. There's really no reason to buy a ticket on a cruise line that doesn't offer what you're looking for.

But we all know what it means – the one thing that doesn’t change is that Princess expects passengers to dress as they would for a “fine” restaurant on shore and casual jeans are not appropriate for a fine restaurant.
We can debate until the cows come home as to what Princess says and where they say it but the fact is their publications indicate jeans are not allowed in the dining room.

I agree that Princess expects passengers to dress for a "nice" restaurant but the inconsistencies don't solidify the fact that jeans aren't appropriate. The fact is Princess is saying two different things - "jeans" and "torn jeans" are very different in this day and age. If the most up to date literature still includes both, I don't think its fair to pick one and claim that's what Princess wants. I think what Princess wants is whatever will get them more passengers, and I'm going to go ahead and assume that most people don't waste all their time looking at other peoples pants unless they are horrendous or stand out for some other strange reason - they're probably more concerned about the "look" rather than the actual material (you can manage to dress inappropriately for a fine restaurant even sticking to traditionally accepted materials).

I think it goes back to what I initially said. People don't like being told what "not" to do! :eek:

I think it actually goes beyond this. There seems to be a huge difference in opinion depending on which generation you're from. I know that a lot of older cruisers are from a time period when jeans really were as casual as you get, when there was a 0% chance they were anywhere close to classy. In my generation, jeans are the norm and can range anywhere from extremely casual (but not acid washed and torn, thats too 90s) to very dressy/dark. A dressed up look could include nice shoes, dark jeans, a dress shirt and a blazer, and that would be appropriate for fine, trendy restaurants in the city. Basically, I think you get different age groups pushing for different things. Most people who cruise however tend to be older, so the policies are drafted with those customers in mind. I'm sure as the crowd shifts younger (or over time as the younger ones get older), these ideas of whats acceptable and what's not will change. Yes, I know, RIGHT NOW what is code is what's important, but I just think people don't necessarily disagree with the dress code because they are rebellious.

Actually, yes. Don’t people salivate over what everyone is wearing on the red carpet at all the award shows?

Are you calling me a celebrity? :) Yes, I do see what the stars are wearing when I watch the Academy awards, but come on, Hollywood is completely different than real life. I never look around the dining room at what people are wearing on a cruise, and don't really even do that normally. Additionally, awards shows like the Oscars are "black tie" formal, which usually draws more attention than smart casual wear. When I go to formals or dress up for a night out with friends, I do pay attention to what everyone's wearing, but I wouldn't normally. If people wandered around every day with one of a kind designer formalwear, I'd start looking.

I think it a bit frivolous to assign manners or lack thereof to class or money spent.

I agree. I also think its frivolous to associate manners or lack thereof to the way people dress. Many times in these threads I've seen people assume that people who wear jeans are selfish, people who wear jeans have no manners or lack respect, people who wear jeans want to make a statement, etc, etc. It's unfair to judge and assume everything about a person based on their pants. There are so many things you don't know about them. For example, you could go ahead and assume when you see jeans, people are saying "you're not worth it", but what if they're wearing their special "nice" jeans because the trip IS special to them and you ARE worth it. I can tell you right now that I definitely consider my nice jeans much more special than a pair of my khakis (if I wore those, that would be more of a "you're not worth it" than the jeans - see what I mean?). I think we'd all get along much better if we could overlook those assumptions.

What’s so difficult about leaving the jeans at home?

Not everyone has tons of dress pants. I wear jeans every day, so it would be close to impossible for me to travel longer than a week without them. I'm also used to wearing them all the time, and could not imagine going on shore or excursions in anything but them. With that said, I do always change into dress pants when it's time for dinner, but the issue of completely leaving jeans at home is totally different!

On another note thats related to this, it's interesting that Princess includes halter tops in the list of what's "not allowed" in the dining room. Does anyone know why? A lot of dressy tops for women that can be worn on dress pants or skirts are halters, as are many formal dresses.

I've seen this discussion on other forums many times. Specifically I believe recently on the Royal Caribbean forum this exact same discussion came up with many of the same arguments. But what was different in that one was that no where does Royal Caribbean specifically say jeans are not allowed, and those who do want to wear jeans jumped all over that and was the basis for their argument. My feeling at the time was that even if Royal Caribbean did say jeans are not allowed, they would just ignore it and come up with other reasons to justify their case.

Well, here we are, Princess specifically has wording specifically disallowing jeans, and sure enough, many are trying to disect exactly what that means to suit their needs.

"In one place it says torn, in another place it doesn't...since they can't decide, I'll wear jeans, na na na na na."

"My brochure which is more recent than yours says torn jeans, so my information is more accurate, na na na na na."

The fact that they refer to jeans at all should clue you in that maybe they don't want you to wear jeans.

Oh dear oh dear. The best thing I can say here is when somebody who has never cruised before asks me what it like I gush like a child and say every night I get dressed like it’s New Years Eve and a couple of times (formal nights) I dress like it’s the summer ball. Cruising is all about standards PLEASE PLEASE keep up the standard

Ok, We are going on our first Princess cruise next February and my husband was tickled to death about the Smart Casual days. We are veteran Celebrity cruisers and they have Casual, Informal & Formal nights. So in addition to renting a tux, he has to bring a sportcoat or two w/the matching slacks, shirts & ties. So seeing no Informal nights, he was dancing for joy at the prospect of not bringing those extra items.

He rented a tux for the first time on our Hawaii cruise and really liked it. We are looking forward to our Panama Canal cruise in February.

I agree that Princess expects passengers to dress for a "nice" restaurant but the inconsistencies don't solidify the fact that jeans aren't appropriate. The fact is Princess is saying two different things - "jeans" and "torn jeans" are very different in this day and age. If the most up to date literature still includes both, I don't think its fair to pick one and claim that's what Princess wants. I think what Princess wants is whatever will get them more passengers, and I'm going to go ahead and assume that most people don't waste all their time looking at other peoples pants unless they are horrendous or stand out for some other strange reason - they're probably more concerned about the "look" rather than the actual material (you can manage to dress inappropriately for a fine restaurant even sticking to traditionally accepted materials).

Both the website and the Cruise Answer Book say “no jeans.” I would therefore assume that “torn jeans” would fall into the “no jeans” category. Those who are relying on the inconsistency of the actual words are trying to facilitate their argument that the Princess guidelines don’t exclude jeans from the dining room. I find it inconceivable that after reading the website or the Cruise Answer Book that they would still be under this impression – how much more clearly can the guidelines be written? Princess wants what they’ve put in their guidelines – no jeans. People who want to wear jeans can rationalize all they want about the price of their jeans, the embroidery on their jeans and the amount of sparkle on their jeans, but the guidelines still say NO JEANS.

If this is a problem for people, then they should choose a cruise line that does not have this restriction in their guidelines - continuing to argue the point is worthless because the guidelines say NO JEANS. :rolleyes:

When I go to formals or dress up for a night out with friends, I do pay attention to what everyone's wearing, but I wouldn't normally.

So does that mean you pay attention to how others interpret the onboard dress guidelines on formal night? What's the difference?

I also think its frivolous to associate manners or lack thereof to the way people dress.
I don’t associate manners or lack thereof based on the way people dress. I associate them based on the way they ignore guidelines or the way they disrespect other people. It doesn’t matter how nice someone thinks their jeans are – if the dress guidelines say no jeans and they ignore them, they are ill mannered.
Not everyone has tons of dress pants.
Assuming normal wear and tear no one has to bring a ton on a cruise. I usually bring three to four pair of dress pants for smart casual nights and they will get me through a 10 to 15 day cruise.

Princess wants what they’ve put in their guidelines – no jeans. People who want to wear jeans can rationalize all they want about the price of their jeans, the embroidery on their jeans and the amount of sparkle on their jeans, but the guidelines still say NO JEANS.

I think that's why I write what I write here, because that's not stated in the guidelines. Torn jeans and jeans are completely different, so it is up to the interpretation of the reader (or I guess whichever brochures you happen to receive). Most people seem to assume that anyone who points out this inconsistency is just trying to justify breaking the rules, or as the person a few posts up has done, assumes that these people will do whatever it takes because theyre just like that. Considering the literature says two different things, it would be unfair to pick just one and claim it's the correct one - regardless of which way you see this argument and which one you want to argue as correct. That's why to be on the safe side, I don't wear jeans in the dining room. However, I do think that Princess isn't clear and this DOES leave it up to interpretation. And I always have to post in these threads because I feel that a lot of people get so caught up in what they think things should be that they don't bother trying to see the other side of the argument. That or they come up with all kinds of generalizations, similar to those threads that seem to be against young adults. There are thousands of passengers on these ships - people are going to see things differently or will likely not even read the literature they're sent (not everyone is on cruisecritic reading up on these debates on what's acceptable and what's not). Skip the judgement and assumptions, don't let the little things ruin your vacation and just relax!

I don’t associate manners or lack thereof based on the way people dress. I associate them based on the way they ignore guidelines or the way they disrespect other people. It doesn’t matter how nice someone thinks their jeans are – if the dress guidelines say no jeans and they ignore them, they are ill mannered.

No where in my post did I say you did this, it was a general comment based on what I've read in the past and in other threads.

I think that's why I write what I write here, because that's not stated in the guidelines.
Wow. If "that" means “no jeans,” then it is stated in the guidelines. It’s stated on page 8 of the Cruise Answer Book I just received last week under the section “Onboard Attire.” It is also stated on the Princess website as indicated by a poster on page 1 of this thread. You are absolutely correct, I don’t see the other side of the argument because “no jeans” is pretty substantial in what it means and there doesn't seem to be any other interpretation. The other side of the argument tries to circumvent the policy. Because people don’t understand this simple guideline or because they don’t read it doesn’t excuse the fact that it is Princess policy.
Skip the judgement and assumptions, don't let the little things ruin your vacation and just relax!
I love the way I’m told to relax or to lighten up or to have fun or that I have a bad attitude. But no one seems to tell me why when I want to purchase a cruise where certain standards apply, and the cruise line that I purchase from presents those standards, I’m the one who should relax or lighten up. Because it should be OK for people to purchase something with guidelines they don’t want and then expect others to disregard the fact that they disregard them? I don’t think so. The argument has been made that because people pay money for a cruise, they should be able to wear what they want. I paid for my cruise too and I’d like to get what I paid for.

It is interesting that these debates are perpetuated on these forums because the debate is against the published guidelines.

Here is a link to the Princess web site that says no "torn jeans"

http://www.princess.com/faq/pre_cruise.html

Both the website and the Cruise Answer Book say “no jeans.” I would therefore assume that “torn jeans” would fall into the “no jeans” category. Those who are relying on the inconsistency of the actual words are trying to facilitate their argument that the Princess guidelines don’t exclude jeans from the dining room. I find it inconceivable that after reading the website or the Cruise Answer Book that they would still be under this impression – how much more clearly can the guidelines be written? Princess wants what they’ve put in their guidelines – no jeans. People who want to wear jeans can rationalize all they want about the price of their jeans, the embroidery on their jeans and the amount of sparkle on their jeans, but the guidelines still say NO JEANS.

Why do you assume "torn jeans " would fall under the category of no jeans at all. To me it means you can wear jeans that are not torn.

Here is a link to the Princess web site that says no "torn jeans"

http://www.princess.com/faq/pre_cruise.html

Click on the "See the Chart" link in that paragraph and another window pops up. You can read where it says No Jeans, not no torn Jeans. I'll save you the time.. Click here. http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html#attire

Archived