Jeans & Casual nights.

blackpool belle

My sisters have worn jeans on casual night (Not formal), my DH wears jeans on casual night (we skip formal when he's with me) I have not but I have seen many people. My a couple of my sisters are close to your daughters age and they looked great! Not one word was said by anyone to them or to my DH we we dine. They all wore nice tops and my DH always wears a dress shirt with his jeans. She should not have any problems.

As a 20-something I want to jump in here. I have sparkly jeans, they are not cheap and probably cost more than other people's entire outfits. I wear them to hot trendy restaurants and clubs in NYC. I would not however where them to a country club for dinner or someplace old school like 21 club. I think a cruise attire and country club attire are pretty closely related and jeans should be avoided.

I think eventually the cruise industry will begin to recognize that most dressy denim is not your typical pair of Levis from JC Pennys but imported fabrics from Japan or Italy with custom sometimes even couture work done to them with price tags from $100 up to $1000. For now lets keep the attire old school and no jeans in the formal dining room

I just found this on the Princess website under Frequently asked questions.

Question: How many formal/smart casual nights are scheduled for my cruise?

Answer: When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. We only have formal and smart casual. Tuxedo rental can be arranged prior to the cruise on certain itineraries. On formal nights, ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits.

These same guidelines are also in their new brochure I received last week.

Can sparkly jeans be worn on casual nights and in particular can you wear them in the dining room or is this frowned upon.

There are no casual nights, there are resort casual nights which is different.

I just found this on the Princess website under Frequently asked questions.

Answer: When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. We only have formal and smart casual. Tuxedo rental can be arranged prior to the cruise on certain itineraries. On formal nights, ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits.

These same guidelines are also in their new brochure I received last week.

You are right, that is what is printed in a lot of Princess' booklets. I guess Princess is not consistant. On our cruise out of San Juan we saw a lot of jeans every night. We didn't think they were allowed but jeans must be very popular in Puerto Rico at night. I didn't care at all and evidently neither did the ship's staff.

I don't wear them because I don't own a pair of jeans and haven't since I was in my early 20's. I'm just not bothered by what others wear. Frankly I'll take a nice neat pair of jeans with a pressed shirt and nice shoes on someone over a lot of the get ups that I see people wearing!

Just to say if princess have changed the wording from no 'torn' jeans to no jeans - well its hasnt changed here in the UK yet. Both the pre-cruise docs for my cruise next week and in May both say no 'torn' jeans.

How are we suppose to know what which guidelines Princess whats us to go by. The brochure I received was the 2006-2007 one & it said no "torn jeans".

Was that the one you received with your precruise docs? If so, what page?

It was not with pre cruise docs, just one of their new brochures you can request or get from a travel agent. If I got one of these brochures & I was new to Princess, I would think it was ok to wear jeans in the dining room. If I booked the cruise & then read the pre cruise docs I would be pissed if I planned to wearing jeans in the dining room. I would think people do most of their research prior to the cruise & don't read the pre cruise info you receive.

How are we suppose to know what which guidelines Princess whats us to go by. The brochure I received was the 2006-2007 one & it said no "torn jeans".

This is the part of the drill where we all talk about the inconsistencies of Princess’ literature. But we all know what it means – the one thing that doesn’t change is that Princess expects passengers to dress as they would for a “fine” restaurant on shore and casual jeans are not appropriate for a fine restaurant. That people wear them there doesn’t mean they are appropriate just like that people wear jeans to Princess’ dining rooms doesn’t mean they are appropriate. We all know the consequences of wearing jeans to the dining room. So why even ask what guidelines to follow?

Let's get back to the meat of this thread - the original question was if sparkly jeans could be worn and the answer is yes they can. I'll expound on that by saying they are not appropriate, but they can be worn.

How do you know that Princess expects us to dress as we would for a fine restaurant? That is not posted any where. If I were a first time cruiser & read their brochure, I would think that smart casual included jeans that were not torn.

How do you know that Princess expects us to dress as we would for a fine restaurant? That is not posted any where. If I were a first time cruiser & read their brochure, I would think that smart casual included jeans that were not torn.
LightnRod posted this above from the Princess website - the red highlighted text comes from the post:

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal. Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

I received a Cruise Answer Book with my pre-cruise documents a few days ago…it says exactly the same thing there under Onboard Attire on page 8. Since the Cruise Answer Book is sent about six weeks prior to sailing, I think it is plenty of time to make wardrobe adjustments if there was some misunderstanding due to the brochure. In this case "Smart" means elegant, well dressed or well turned out...not what I would apply to casual denim.

Being from Texas smart casual to some of us does mean nice starched jeans, a nice shirt or top & cowboy boots or a nice pair of heels. This is what we would wear to a nice restaurant on land or on a cruise. As I stated in one of my previous post, I found this on the Princess web site

Do you notice the word "torn". This is also the exact same wording in the 2006-2007 brochure I received.

We just returned from Coral Princess to Panama Canal. I saw people in every type of dress possible and some of it was not pretty. Some of the people would have looked better had they been wearing jeans. I myself enjoy dressing up and dress in dressy outfits every night some are alittle more casual than others but always nice. We have been cruising for 20 yrs. When we first started cruising everyone really tried to follow the dress guidelines, now most people just don't seem to care. The formal night I would say 75% of the people were dressed formal, but I saw people dressed very casual in the dining room also. People will do what they want. If your daughter is dressed in very nice jeans with a pretty top no one from Princess will say anything to her. People just do not dress up anymore. I think it is a shame I was at a wedding and several men & boys were dressed in jeans. I don't understand why we feel we should not dress for special events anymore. Just my thoughts.

When I finished college, I took a parttime job at a mom and pop type of company while I job hunt. One of the owners told me that I can only wear skirts or dresses -- no pants (he made sure only woman -- actually college aged girls -- were hired). There wasn't any reason for this rule. After a while, one of the other girls and I would wear denim skirts -- often old and faded -- and then switch to nice pantsuits before leaving work. My point: just because you're wearing a dress, it doesn't mean you look nicer than someone else wearing pants or jeans.

To the op, maybe the two of you can go shopping before the cruise and find something she can wear and feel comfy in for the smart casual dinners. I'm not sure which cruise you're going on, but many itineries such as the Caribbean ones, sundresses fit in well.

Being from Texas smart casual to some of us does mean nice starched jeans, a nice shirt or top & cowboy boots or a nice pair of heels. This is what we would wear to a nice restaurant on land or on a cruise. As I stated in one of my previous post, I found this on the Princess web site

Do you notice the word "torn". This is also the exact same wording in the 2006-2007 brochure I received.

Yes, I notice the word "torn" but I also notice what the Cruise Answer Book and the website say. You asked where the guidelines were stated and I indicated that to you – I also tried to explain the common definition of “smart” when it comes to what one is wearing. We can debate until the cows come home as to what Princess says and where they say it but the fact is their publications indicate jeans are not allowed in the dining room. Horizon Court is always available if it is too much of an issue to bring along something to wear besides a pair of jeans - even Dockers, probably more affordable and more comfortable, are a viable substitute.

That being said, people wear jeans – they are not appropriate, but people do what they want, appropriate or not. And more than likely Princess will not object to a passenger wearing jeans in the dining room, however it seems that depends on the particular situation. I do know that NCL publicizes that jeans are acceptable in the dining room on their Galveston sailings due to Texas “culture.” Princess does not, but perhaps choosing NCL would end the debate.

Is it true that Rules are made only for those who choose to follow them?

I love my jeans, have many pairs of them! In fact I wear jeans 5-7 days a week, but when it comes to cruzin, I leave them at home! For all who choose not to wear during casual dining.... THANK-YOU.

HAQD

Ive read so many of these threads,have no idea why they just don't end when someone is told that the cruiselines says no jeans ,in other words...

NO JEANS, the end

I agree.

Our Cruise Answer Book - which is recent we cruise on 25th YEY!! says no 'torn' jeans

I have just been checking tours on the cruise personaliser so thought I would take a look at the FAQ about jeans on the Princess site.

Princess website says no jeans - the word torn has been omitted.

So there we have it - Jeans whether they be torn, starched, stretched, sparkly, embroidered, striaight leg, boot leg, skinny leg, low rise, high rise, button fly, zip fly, black, blue, pink or yellow - they are not permitted in the dining room

I agree.

Our Cruise Answer Book - which is recent we cruise on 25th YEY!! says no 'torn' jeans

I have just been checking tours on the cruise personaliser so thought I would take a look at the FAQ about jeans on the Princess site.

Princess website says no jeans - the word torn has been omitted.

So there we have it - Jeans whether they be torn, starched, stretched, sparkly, embroidered, striaight leg, boot leg, skinny leg, low rise, high rise, button fly, zip fly, black, blue, pink or yellow - they are not permitted in the dining room

Amazingly, as simple as that is, so many people will still try to get around it, or twist it to fit their needs, or come up with a million different reasons why it is ok for them.

These are some of the reasons I've read so far as to why jeans are "ok" or "just fine"

1) Its *MY* vacation?

2) How will *MY* clothing bother you?

3) *I* dress up every day, so *I* don't feel like *I* have to on a cruise.

4) *I* can't afford nice clothes.

5) Who are you to tell me how *I* should dress?

6) *I* am the judge as to what is appropriate.

7) *I* can wear x-brand jeans because *I* judge them to be nice.

Notice a common theme...I I I I ME ME ME ME.

Wow! This has been interesting reading. Reminds me of where I work. :p We have recently been told that we cannot wear jeans to work on Fridays. Fine with me, I can get over it- sort of. But...there are people who hate being told what they can and cannot do.;) There are women wearing denim anyway they can and still comforming to the dress code. Gotta love it!

So back to cruising...If the code suggests attire befitting of a "fine" restaurant at home, we should expect argument/discussion. After all, one person's fine restaurant is Red Lobster and another's Le Cirque!

I feel that as long as you don't look tacky in your jeans (eg. too tight, whale-tail showing, beer belling hanging over the top, etc.) and you have the figure/form and fashion sense to sport them in an upscale setting- go for it! Just don't wear the sneakers and t-shirt with them! Decidedly uncool dining wear!

While I generally could give a rat's patoot what other people wear, I might wonder why a table mate would choose to dress poorly for dinner. I think it goes back to what I initially said. People don't like being told what "not" to do! :eek:

Archived