First Time on Celebrity

bird67

Hello, my spouse and I (54/56) have been loyal RCI cruisers until our B2B in January where we decided it was time to try Celebrity.  We are cruising the Ascent in February and really not sure what to expect.   We have pretty much sailed Oasis class ships since the Oasis was born and love the open air and spaces.  What are some of tips, tricks and things we should know for our first time with Celebrity/Edge class ship? 

Thank you in advance- I am also doing all the reading I can to prepare.  

We were also Loyal Royal cruisers for years until our 50s then switched to Celebrity.  For us Celebrity is calmer, more adult like,  elegant cruising.  We have always had great service.  I hope you enjoy it. 

Edited by lv2cruisgrl
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, bird67 said:

Hello, my spouse and I (54/56) have been loyal RCI cruisers until our B2B in January where we decided it was time to try Celebrity.  We are cruising the Ascent in February and really not sure what to expect.   We have pretty much sailed Oasis class ships since the Oasis was born and love the open air and spaces.  What are some of tips, tricks and things we should know for our first time with Celebrity/Edge class ship? 

Thank you in advance- I am also doing all the reading I can to prepare.  

Some tips/tricks off the top of my head

-The treats at Cafe Al Bacio are free (their flavors are on the blander side) but the coffee is for a fee unless you have the drink package or high enough status

-The buffet pizza station can make you your own pizza or calzone but it obviously takes some time for free; can bring it to the magic carpet, by the pool, or to the outdoor theater to watch a game

- The Eden specialty is the best specialty on the ship

- The Eden cafe has mostly free items at lunch, they just introduced a few premium sandwiches for a fee

- The spa cafe is mostly free

- The magic carpet may appear to have a roof but it is open mesh so one may not realize you could get sunburnt

- MDR, there are 4, you can order off any menu at any one of the 4

- MDR, if you just want to eat dinner with as little as a wait as possible, any of the host stands can tell you the est wait times at any of the 4

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! When you have cruised essentially the same ship for 10 years, even choosing what type of balcony cabin ( regular veranda, edge, concierge, prime, aqua) took a bit of research and finger crossing ( we chose a guarantee).   

What are the best open air spaces to enjoy aside from the sun deck? Are there some good escape the crowds spots that are outdoors or with a view ( and not our cabin balcony)?  

I appreciate your help.  

3 hours ago, bird67 said:

Thank you! When you have cruised essentially the same ship for 10 years, even choosing what type of balcony cabin ( regular veranda, edge, concierge, prime, aqua) took a bit of research and finger crossing ( we chose a guarantee).   

What are the best open air spaces to enjoy aside from the sun deck? Are there some good escape the crowds spots that are outdoors or with a view ( and not our cabin balcony)?  

I appreciate your help.  

We enjoy the Sunset Bar for an outdoor space.  We were recently on the Oasis but usually sail on Celebrity. I think you will find it a lot calmer.  We are on the Ascent in January.   Our favorite bar is the World Class Bar.

• Like 2

we love the E Class Ships..looking forward to sailing in the Ascent.

There are two areas outside of EDEN on either side that  are nice outdoor spaces..one has a small smoking area.

Magic Carpet outsude is nice in the a.m. I had a Bellini.

We also liked World Class Bar .you can see and hear Martini Bar action ..but it is quieter..great drinks and service. EDEN has a nice atmoshphere, bar and lunch cafe (which may now have some upcharge items).  Spa cafe is good for bkfst and lunch..healthy food oriented!

We were very unhappy on OASIS.. it felt too mall like,  low end shopping,  family/ kids oriented , crowded and loud almost everywhere.  We had poor dining exeriences even in Specialty Restaurants,  and people were sleeping and snoring in the small library/ lounge...Had to get advance tickets and  still had to line up for most events!  The park area was over rated but the bar that went up and down was fun for the ride.

We did like the adult only area out back and nearby hot tubs,  the D a.m.coffee area and the nightly  cocktail soread in a bar/ lounge. By contrast, X has a weak loyalty  cocktail program but a nice sit down breakfast that was in Tuscan.

Music was about equal but Oasus had an island band.not so much on X.. the E Class theaters are state of the art awesome. great shows..very creative.

E Class had an excellent curated art collection...many healthy living plants.

Hope you enjoy it all!

We too were regular Royal cruisers( 53 and 59 years young]

…. Been on most Oasis class ships, Freedom class and Odyssey … never had a bad cruise and love Royal BUT just got off Beyond last week and we loved it! We have Utopia booked next t

year as B2B but really wishing now we hadn’t booked it… would like to do Celebrity Ascent instead…. Ridiculous pricing now though for Summer 2024 so will probably have to wait until 2025 dates realised

We have 2 X cruises (Edge) so far and 2 booked in future (Equinox and Beyond).  Love the E class ship common space design and tbd green spaces on the ship. Who would have thought you would get green space on a cruise ship.

Our tricks and tips

1) Breakfast at Eden is quite quaint and the breakfast sandwiches are very nice (was free the last 2 times)

2) Aqua aerobics in the main pool is a lot of fun but gets busy as the cruise goes on

3) Walking track is in a figure 8 with various slight inclines and a nice length 

4) When you first board, make your way to the back of the ship on 14th I think to Sunset Bar

5) If your in MDR, try all 4 of the restaurants