First time doing guaranteed stateroom, and not by choice

Greytgrey

Hi, folks! 

I'm sailing on Princess for the first time in February. When I booked a few weeks ago, I chose the option to select my room and paid the extra $30ish to do so. When it got down to it, though, I was given the message that there weren't any specific rooms for me to book but that I'd be assigned a room at some point... so basically it became a guaranteed stateroom thing.

I'm sailing on the Royal Princess, I selected a deluxe balcony, and it looks like there are only 4 of those on each deck (two fore, two aft, on either side right at the end of the hall).

As an uber-planner, this makes me kind of nervous. I'd selected upper-middle floors, and know I won't be mid-ship because of where these rooms are located, so the specific location of the room is not super important. I just like knowing well in advance where I'll be. And I'm also a little concerned about getting down-graded to something obstructed if there's not room.

What say you? Am I working myself up over nothing? This sailing was priced so beautifully that I couldn't resist and I am looking forward to the trip. But since I've never left my cabin fate to the cruise line gods, this is uncharted territory for me.

Thanks!

Edited by Greytgrey
Extra letter removed
  • Like 1

I haven't actually done guaranteed....

However, my understanding is that since you booked a deluxe balcony, they will only put you in that or something 'above' it in cabin classes. So, you will either get a deluxe balcony, premium deluxe balcony, mini-suite or suite. No guarantees on the location....it could be anywhere, but you said you weren't concerned about that.

I think you could end up with a really nice cabin.

Relax and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Greytgrey said:

Hi, folks! 

I'm sailing on Princess for the first time in February. When I booked a few weeks ago, I chose the option to select my room and paid the extra $30ish to do so. When it got down to it, though, I was given the message that there weren't any specific rooms for me to book but that I'd be assigned a room at some point... so basically it became a guaranteed stateroom thing.

I'm sailing on the Royal Princess, I selected a deluxe balcony, and it looks like there are only 4 of those on each deck (two fore, two aft, on either side right at the end of the hall).

As an uber-planner, this makes me kind of nervous. I'd selected upper-middle floors, and know I won't be mid-ship because of where these rooms are located, so the specific location of the room is not super important. I just like knowing well in advance where I'll be. And I'm also a little concerned about getting down-graded to something obstructed if there's not room.

What say you? Am I working myself up over nothing? This sailing was priced so beautifully that I couldn't resist and I am looking forward to the trip. But since I've never left my cabin fate to the cruise line gods, this is uncharted territory for me.

Thanks!

Princess has a tendency to make certain categories of cabins "guaranteed" even though you select the option to choose your own cabin.  This often happens for deluxe balconies as well as premium deluxe balconies that have small sofas that make out into a bed and thus, can hold 3 or more passengers.  When you start a booking, or mock booking, select 3 passengers instead of 1 or 2 that you are currently selecting (I assume) and often times it will show the cabins that are available.   Once you know which cabins are available, call Princess to book the cabin of your choice.  Sometimes they will have to start the booking with 3 in the cabin, and then drop 1 or 2 (as the case may be for you) passengers.  You can also do this by booking online with 3 and then calling Princess to drop the extra passengers.  This is a frustrating thing about Princess for me and it can be very annoying.   Some people will say that it is selfish to take these cabins away from those needing to book with 3 or more, but that doesn't make sense.  Whether or not you select one as a guarantee, or you go through the process above, it is likely taking one of these cabins away for others to book.  The effect is the same and you are not taking away from those needing to book for 3 or more any more with the process above or by booking a guarantee.  Perhaps with a guarantee, you may have a chance of getting upgraded.  

Edited by TAW1963
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TAW1963 said:

When you start a booking, or mock booking, select 3 passengers instead of 1 or 2 that you are currently selecting (I assume) and often times it will show the cabins that are available.   Once you know which cabins are available, call Princess to book the cabin of your choice.  Sometimes they will have to start the booking with 3 in the cabin, and then drop 1 or 2 (as the case may be for you) passengers.  You can also do this by booking online with 3 and then calling Princess to drop the extra passengers.  

This is a great insight. 

Thanks to both of you for responding. I guess now I just need to decide which is better: lock it down now or hold to see if I get something even better...

• Like 1

When we sail longer cruises, we always book mini suites.  However for short 7  night itineraries, we like the far forward obstructed deluxe balcony staterooms, specifically L101 or L102 on Lido deck.  Huge balconies and the only obstruction is the metal railing wall instead of plexiglass.  

If you go to book these cabins yourself it’s always shown as “guarantee” only.  We call our CVP and she is able to over ride the system and grab one.  Just did this last week for our Enchanted Canada New England cruise in 2024 and booked L101.  She told me quite some time ago that Princess tries to hold these cabins back for 3 passenger occupancy,  but they allow the CVPs to book them for 2 passengers.  They are released closer to final payment.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Greytgrey said:

Hi, folks! 

Thanks!

You won't get downgraded. If anything, you'll receive an upgrade if your category isn't available. 

• Like 1

Not sure how you made the original booking...

I book with an internet agency that lets me see all available cabins.

I would check that first & then pay the extra to pick.

If it did not show specific cabins in a category I wanted but allowed me to book.....the assumption is it is a guarantee booking..

I would NOT pay extra to pick a cabin number if I had not first seen what was available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

When we sail longer cruises, we always book mini suites.  However for short 7  night itineraries, we like the far forward obstructed deluxe balcony staterooms, specifically L101 or L102 on Lido deck.  Huge balconies and the only obstruction is the metal railing wall instead of plexiglass.  

If you go to book these cabins yourself it’s always shown as “guarantee” only.  We call our CVP and she is able to over ride the system and grab one.  Just did this last week for our Enchanted Canada New England cruise in 2024 and booked L101.  She told me quite some time ago that Princess tries to hold these cabins back for 3 passenger occupancy,  but they allow the CVPs to book them for 2 passengers.  They are released closer to final payment.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I already paid in full because I wanted to get an early dining time and also wondered if we'd be assigned a room then. I might call my planner and ask him for help. 

• Like 1

If you booked through Princess and made Final Payment, I don't think you can transfer your reservation to YOUR planner.  

Princess does not offer traditional dining (as what it was in the past), but you can begin the process of selecting your (early) dining times.

Good Luck.  Welcome to Princess.  There's a "steep" learning curve with lots of twists and turns, but you will be just fine.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you booked through Princess and made Final Payment, I don't think you can transfer your reservation to YOUR planner.  

Princess does not offer traditional dining (as what it was in the past), but you can begin the process of selecting your (early) dining times.

Good Luck.  Welcome to Princess.  There's a "steep" learning curve with lots of twists and turns, but you will be just fine.  

Sorry... I meant the dude who called me when we booked. He is my point of contact with Princess. 

And thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greytgrey said:

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I already paid in full because I wanted to get an early dining time and also wondered if we'd be assigned a room then. I might call my planner and ask him for help. 

If you booked guarantee and are wanting a cabin assigned, you might have to the difference in fare.  The guarantee fare is usually lower than the select a cabin fare.  Sometimes they level off after final payment date for the sailing has passed.  

I always book guarantee and have been pretty happy with my cabin assignments.  You never know, you might get upgraded.  It also works in you favor that there aren't very of these cabins on the Royal Princess.  In the rare event that you get a downgrade, Princess must compensate you.  I don't want to say with absolutely certainty, but Princess has been known in the past to give comped upgrades to first time to Princess cruisers.

Welcome to Princess!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SCX22 said:

If you booked guarantee and are wanting a cabin assigned, you might have to the difference in fare.  The guarantee fare is usually lower than the select a cabin fare.  Sometimes they level off after final payment date for the sailing has passed.  

I always book guarantee and have been pretty happy with my cabin assignments.  You never know, you might get upgraded.  It also works in you favor that there aren't very of these cabins on the Royal Princess.  In the rare event that you get a downgrade, Princess must compensate you.  I don't want to say with absolutely certainty, but Princess has been known in the past to give comped upgrades to first time to Princess cruisers.

Welcome to Princess!

Thanks! I've decided to sit tight and see what happens! It's good exposure therapy for my control issues. 😄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Following up on this: I checked the website for something else this morning, and I have my assigned cabin! I'm pleased with it, and even found a tour of the specific room on YouTube! 🙂 I believe final payment is due next week (I already paid because I wanted to ensure I had an EARLY dinner reservation since I'm traveling with a kiddo), so I'm thinking maybe they have a good idea of who will be traveling and found that for this sailing, they didn't need to keep the DDs for parties of three.

Thanks everyone for the info and tips; I'm super relieved and happy with my assignment!

• Like 4