Has Starlink satellite system upgrades been done on Voyager?

migitana

Greetings all - the current plan is to have Grandeur and Mariner both done this year. We don't have any official dates for any of the rest of the ships beyond those two. I would not count on Explorer being done for January @Portolan. Afraid that's all I currently know or can comment on publicly. 🙂

• Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Mike Moore said:

Greetings all - the current plan is to have Grandeur and Mariner both done this year. We don't have any official dates for any of the rest of the ships beyond those two. I would not count on Explorer being done for January @Portolan. Afraid that's all I currently know or can comment on publicly. 🙂

On the ship(s), there was some comment made (by staff) about swapping before existing contract expired in the interest of bringing it online sooner as the hardware has been installed. It would be a nice thing to do considering...

@Mike Moore, do you happen to know whether, with Starlink, we would be able to use Zoom without having to purchase the upgraded wifi?  I expect to have some meetings during the world cruise, and it would be nice to avoid the extra expense and limitation to one log-in that comes with the upgrade.

3 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

@Mike Moore, do you happen to know whether, with Starlink, we would be able to use Zoom without having to purchase the upgraded wifi?  I expect to have some meetings during the world cruise, and it would be nice to avoid the extra expense and limitation to one log-in that comes with the upgrade.

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer. I also imagine that - even with Starlink - there will likely be factors that impact upload/download speeds, so providing a definitive answer might not be accurate.

25 minutes ago, Mike Moore said:

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer. I also imagine that - even with Starlink - there will likely be factors that impact upload/download speeds, so providing a definitive answer might not be accurate.

Thanks. I suspected that but figured it was worth asking.

18 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I have been on another cruise line with Starlink and could not do zoom meetings with just the standard wifi, but had no issues with the premium wifi. I know each line can set their own parameters, but my experience with Starlink compared with the old system was very good. The only places Starlink didn't out perform the old system was in port (don't know why, but port days it was very slow) and in the middle of the Atlantic. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lorimay said:

I have been on another cruise line with Starlink and could not do zoom meetings with just the standard wifi, but had no issues with the premium wifi. I know each line can set their own parameters, but my experience with Starlink compared with the old system was very good. The only places Starlink didn't out perform the old system was in port (don't know why, but port days it was very slow) and in the middle of the Atlantic. 

I'd echo that on SS dawn it still not superfast.  It was bad or unavailable in some ports and some Fjords but it was much better than what I experienced on Splendor and Explorer.

Be aware that Starlink satellite deployment is not complete by any stretch. Approx 4800 satellites are currently in orbit including the the 22 launched earlier this week. Many thousand still to be launched over the coming decade with priority to provide service over land masses where a paying population exists. It is not surprising that there is not 100 pct coverage.