Purchase insurance outside of cruise lines policies

Suzcruz57

6 minutes ago, Suzcruz57 said:

We booked a cruise and need help on insuring a short cruise. Am specifically interested in the medical aspect and a decent policy any of you experienced cruisers can recommend. Thanks in advance 

I never book the cruise insurance.  I book Allianz for an annual policy or Travel Insured International for a cruise by cruise policy.  

• Like 1

I normally get better insurance but this time for this short, cheap 5 day cruise that we will drive to, I opted to get a small medical only policy. It includes $15,000 pp medical and $150,000 evacuation. It also had a small amount of trip interruption and lost luggage. 

I guess it is a gamble with such a small amount of medical but I guess we will take the chance. This policy was only $18 that we found thru insuremytrip. The policy is Bershire Hathaway. BTW, my husband is 80 and in great shape.

I use www.squaremouth.com.  Many policies are listed there.  On an upcoming cruise, I bought a policy to cover major medical issues but not the entire cost of the cruise.  Can afford to lose the cost of the cruise but not a major medical bill outside on the USA.

Be careful with annual plans (at least with Allianz) as  the default trip cancellation/interruption dollar amounts are per policy, not per insured like single trip plans are. Annual plans are fine, just make sure you up the coverage. Also shop between annual and multiple single trips to see what makes more financial sense.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

The Trip Insurance Store:

888 407-3854

Talk directly to a professional Steve (often a contributor on CC) or one of his associates.

They'll give you help purchasing the policy best for you personally based on your needs.

• Like 2

I use Travel Guard, and always get the enhanced health package.  The extra benefits include appropriate medical transportation back to your home state and hospital of choice. Otherwise, many policies will just bring you to the appropriate medical facility closest to where your ship is. 

teddie