Utopia VR Dining

The video may be a bit misleading.  I don’t believe you actually have to wear a headset during dinner, but I plan to dine in this restaurant on my 2025 Utopia cruise.  I think the overall experience of the views from this “train” will be interesting.  As long as it’s done right and they account for any possible motion sickness.  If you’re done true VR in real life, you’ll know what I mean 🤢🤮

• 4 months later...

I've read that RC will have "VR" shown through the windows, to give the impression that the train is moving.

The first two "trips" will be the Old West and the Silk Road.

Now, I'm being a bit nit-picky.  In the era of the Old West, trains didn't have dining cars.  Passengers got off at a station to eat in a station dining room, then got back on the train.

On the Santa Fe, the station restaurants were Harvey Houses.  Judy Garland's character was a Harvey House waitress in the movie musical "The Harvey Girls."

But, I'm curious as to the menus.  American railroad menus varied by region.  Illinois Central trains out of New Orleans had a Creole menu.  Union Pacific and Burlington trains eastbound out of Denver had trout on the menu.  New York Central and Pennsylvania trains out of New York had Oysters Rockefeller on their menus.  The Southern Railway was known for its Southern fried chicken, as well as mint julips in their club cars.

So, how much research will RC do on American dining car cuisine?

4 minutes ago, ckfred said:

I've read that RC will have "VR" shown through the windows, to give the impression that the train is moving.

The first two "trips" will be the Old West and the Silk Road.

Now, I'm being a bit nit-picky.  In the era of the Old West, trains didn't have dining cars.  Passengers got off at a station to eat in a station dining room, then got back on the train.

On the Santa Fe, the station restaurants were Harvey Houses.  Judy Garland's character was a Harvey House waitress in the movie musical "The Harvey Girls."

But, I'm curious as to the menus.  American railroad menus varied by region.  Illinois Central trains out of New Orleans had a Creole menu.  Union Pacific and Burlington trains eastbound out of Denver had trout on the menu.  New York Central and Pennsylvania trains out of New York had Oysters Rockefeller on their menus.  The Southern Railway was known for its Southern fried chicken, as well as mint julips in their club cars.

So, how much research will RC do on American dining car cuisine?

Interesting. My sister and bil did their honeymoon to the one in arizona. It's been 11 years and he loves trains so they are planning to go back this may.

Dinner is in the Fred Harvey restaurant which I presume is related to what you mentioned. Food seems to get good reviews though not sure what is served there. 

The train.com

20240214_124428260.jpeg

^^I think you're reading way too into this. They're not going to do an authentic 1800's old west menu as that wouldn't appeal to most of their demographic. 

Edited by sharktums

Based on what is mentioned in this thread, it reminds me of the Harry Potter train ride that connects two Universal Theme Parks in Orlando. Though that train actually is transporting people between two locations they simulate a different landscape via screens.