Veteran's Discount - Another Question

cruiser2015

I have a fully paid cruise coming up in January. Just read about this discount on this forum - first hearing about it.

Does anyone know if it can still be applied after full payment?

I was planning on calling NCL today and/or my TA. But I keep reading about NCL's misinformation glut.

So, I'm asking the experts here. Thanks.

We called to pay for an upgrade to a two-bedroom Haven after final payment when the prices dropped and were able to request that they apply the military discount at that point as it had been left off of our initial reservation. I'm not sure if it would have worked to just ask for the discount if we hadn't been upgrading. 

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

I have a fully paid cruise coming up in January. Just read about this discount on this forum - first hearing about it.

Does anyone know if it can still be applied after full payment?

I was planning on calling NCL today and/or my TA. But I keep reading about NCL's misinformation glut.

So, I'm asking the experts here. Thanks.

Asking the 'experts' here will accomplish nothing. NCL is the only one who can apply this discount.  If you want the real facts, then call your TA or NCL.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Asking the 'experts' here will accomplish nothing. NCL is the only one who can apply this discount.  If you want the real facts, then call your TA or NCL.

All too true.

However, having some historical perspectives gives me a starting point. As has been stated many times on these boards, any given NCL agent can give wrong information. Knowing members have experienced (possible) different outcomes tells me that I might want to try from a multi-point attack, or call a different agent if the answer is negative.

Knowledge is power.

3 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

All too true.

However, having some historical perspectives gives me a starting point. As has been stated many times on these boards, any given NCL agent can give wrong information. Knowing members have experienced (possible) different outcomes tells me that I might want to try from a multi-point attack, or call a different agent if the answer is negative.

Knowledge is power.

Having multiple opinions from CC accomplishes nothing.  There is no one here who can give a definitive answer.  If you don't like what NCL agents tell you, then call back.  You're just wasting time soliciting opinions here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Having multiple opinions from CC accomplishes nothing.  There is no one here who can give a definitive answer.  If you don't like what NCL agents tell you, then call back.  You're just wasting time soliciting opinions here.

Slight difference of opinion on this.

Definitive - no. I agree on that point.

But learning of some actual history can be enlightenment as possibilities.

As for wasting time - maybe, but it's my time.

And, if it's such a waste, why are you wasting yours with multiple posts?

• Like 4

Just realized I was eligible for this. My veteran spouse isn't traveling so it didn't occur to me when I booked  😞

I chatted with them and they said they can't apply it to existing reservations.  Is it worth calling to see if I get a different answer? 

15 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Just realized I was eligible for this. My veteran spouse isn't traveling so it didn't occur to me when I booked  😞

I chatted with them and they said they can't apply it to existing reservations.  Is it worth calling to see if I get a different answer? 

Why not call again?

If you don't call again, it is certain  you won't get the discount.

If you call again,  you might.

Are  you inside final payment?  If you're not inside final payment, and they say no, ask them if you can cancel and rebook.  Treat it as a fare drop.

Edited by RocketMan275

35 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

I just spoke to an NCL rep a few minutes ago. Here's what she told me. Again, my sail date is 106 days out:

She said that I can absolutely get the discount. When I mentioned that someone (posted on this thread) was refused, she said that would only happen if you are too close to the departure date, but that at 100 days it was not an issue.

Also, the process is to go through the steps of the idme and then search for NCL under "shopping" as if you wanted to do a new booking. That would lead you back to NCL's page. You must then be logged in to your latitudes account to link your credentials to NCL. Next, you call NCL back and they will get you the credit.

Further, a spouse can use their vet spouse's credentials. Or, in your case, get his/her own. But, in order to share, the vet info has to also be attached to the other spouse's account for them to use it separately, on their own, if such an occasion should ever occur.

I have not gone through the process yet but will shortly. I'm expecting that a photo of my DD214 will be all that's required. One more point of interest - I told the rep I have been on NCL cruises for over 20 years and never heard about this discount. She said it's only been around a few on months.

I hope this will work for you - and anyone else out there in CC land.

59 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I just spoke to an NCL rep a few minutes ago. Here's what she told me. Again, my sail date is 106 days out:

She said that I can absolutely get the discount. When I mentioned that someone (posted on this thread) was refused, she said that would only happen if you are too close to the departure date, but that at 100 days it was not an issue.

Also, the process is to go through the steps of the idme and then search for NCL under "shopping" as if you wanted to do a new booking. That would lead you back to NCL's page. You must then be logged in to your latitudes account to link your credentials to NCL. Next, you call NCL back and they will get you the credit.

Further, a spouse can use their vet spouse's credentials. Or, in your case, get his/her own. But, in order to share, the vet info has to also be attached to the other spouse's account for them to use it separately, on their own, if such an occasion should ever occur.

I have not gone through the process yet but will shortly. I'm expecting that a photo of my DD214 will be all that's required. One more point of interest - I told the rep I have been on NCL cruises for over 20 years and never heard about this discount. She said it's only been around a few on months.

I hope this will work for you - and anyone else out there in CC land.

This is a great example of why one shouldn't rely too heavily upon what one reads here on CC.   Circumstances change and different circumstances have different consequences.  In this case, the poster is far enough out where the discount could be applied.  Depending upon how close one is to embarkation can change the answer.  All too often, the necessary background  isn't provided and consequently the post can be misleading.  The only way to be sure is to contact NCL.

And, yes, sometimes NCL can give incorrect answers but it is also likely that CC posters can provide incorrect answers too.

Good job cruiser2015.

Edited by RocketMan275

I tried to get this discount for a cruise in March 2023, I had booked it in 2022.   When I asked my TA, they were strict with “new bookings” only.   My TA advised me as I booked my 2024 cruises that it’s not so stringent now, and military members are being granted some exemptions.   Good news is once you’ve acquired your military status, it stays attached to your NCL account for future cruises.  

I was not listed on my March 2023 Prima sailing as a veteran because the program was not resurrected when I booked in 2022. So when Marc the F&B director was talking to us on Prima, my veteran status came up in conversation and I let him know I was looking forward to the discount and patch, coin, letter that NCL is providing vets on their ships.  As we were having dinner in Le Bistro, Marc came dressed in his full blue uniform and presented me with the military package and letter that is now in your cabin for veterans when you board.  I was grateful for the acknowledgement and extra care. It’s those types and levels of service that truly make NCL our line of choice. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

This is a great example of why one shouldn't rely too heavily upon what one reads here on CC.   Circumstances change and different circumstances have different consequences.  In this case, the poster is far enough out where the discount could be applied.  Depending upon how close one is to embarkation can change the answer.  All too often, the necessary background  isn't provided and consequently the post can be misleading.  The only way to be sure is to contact NCL.

And, yes, sometimes NCL can give incorrect answers but it is also likely that CC posters can provide incorrect answers too.

Good job cruiser2015.

What, no I told you so?  😮

Your comments here are quite on point for this issue.

But the posts on this thread is the only reason that I got the specifics on the reasons for a denial of discount.

But I too have seen how incomplete or misinterpreted information can lead readers astray.

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Error...oops.

Edited by schmoopie17

6 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

So...I am verified as a Veteran on my NCL account. How do I get my wife to have this attached to her account, as well? And, once that's done, do we BOTH get a 10% discount if traveling together?

On your last point, When you any one person entitled to the discount, it applies to the full cabin rate, so you're both covered. You only need to take further steps if the non-vet spouse sails alone. If you do want that option, you need to have  your vet credentials attached to her own latitudes  account. For that procedure, contact NCL as IDK precisely how you do it. But it should be easy, as I believe that they simply transfer it over from your account.

In case you missed this, there's more info on this NCL page:

https://www.ncl.com/military#

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 1:30 PM, cruiser2015 said:

On your last point, When you any one person entitled to the discount, it applies to the full cabin rate, so you're both covered. You only need to take further steps if the non-vet spouse sails alone. If you do want that option, you need to have  your vet credentials attached to her own latitudes  account. For that procedure, contact NCL as IDK precisely how you do it. But it should be easy, as I believe that they simply transfer it over from your account.

In case you missed this, there's more info on this NCL page:

https://www.ncl.com/military#

If any vets interested in this, and you're still following along, I I'm posting a follow up to close the topic.

I di the id.me process this afternoon. It was even easier than expected. I figured I'd need to shoot them a copy of my military document. Nope - just some personal info and a date of active service. Only took a couple of minutes total. It automatically linked back to NCL and updated my latitudes account with the required authorization.

I then called NCL to process the credit because I already was booked. One small bump - my TA has it as part of a group booking (it's a large TA company). So, they have to call NCL to authorize the credit. I called and left a message for my agent, who is off until Monday. The NCL rep said once the TA calls, the credit would be done quickly.

One more note: if you have a res booked before (not sure of exact day)  a date around mid-Nov. 2022, you don't qualify, as that is when NCL activated the program. I suppose, if it's still a ways off, you could cancel and re-book. Worth checking if you fall into that gap.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

If any vets interested in this, and you're still following along, I I'm posting a follow up to close the topic.

I di the id.me process this afternoon. It was even easier than expected. I figured I'd need to shoot them a copy of my military document. Nope - just some personal info and a date of active service. Only took a couple of minutes total. It automatically linked back to NCL and updated my latitudes account with the required authorization.

I then called NCL to process the credit because I already was booked. One small bump - my TA has it as part of a group booking (it's a large TA company). So, they have to call NCL to authorize the credit. I called and left a message for my agent, who is off until Monday. The NCL rep said once the TA calls, the credit would be done quickly.

One more note: if you have a res booked before (not sure of exact day)  a date around mid-Nov. 2022, you don't qualify, as that is when NCL activated the program. I suppose, if it's still a ways off, you could cancel and re-book. Worth checking if you fall into that gap.

Thanks!  It really is a great program.  I’m a spouse.  I don’t remember how my husband did it, but I believe when he added me as a spouse in ID.me it verified me as well.  I don’t remember if I had to call NCL to link my Latitudes account or not, but now the discount is linked to my account.  I’ve done several trips without DH and got the discount.  Thank you for your service, honey.  😂

51 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I started to post on this thread that you didn't need your DD214 because I didn't remember uploading mine, but I wasn't positive since it's been awhile now from when I did the verification .  So you have confirmed what I thought was true

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

Thanks!  It really is a great program.  I’m a spouse.  I don’t remember how my husband did it, but I believe when he added me as a spouse in ID.me it verified me as well.  I don’t remember if I had to call NCL to link my Latitudes account or not, but now the discount is linked to my account.  I’ve done several trips without DH and got the discount.  Thank you for your service, honey.  😂

Thanks - and to your DH as well.

BTW, there's nothing in id.me about spouses. That's an NCL trick.

50 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Thanks - and to your DH as well.

BTW, there's nothing in id.me about spouses. That's an NCL trick.

I think there is a way to add a spouse to ID.me.  When he did it I got my own login.  Every day I get emails offering me the discounts - directly from ID.me.  All kinds of offers, not just NCL.  He also has his own login and gets the offers to his email, 

I've used the Veterans Discount twice. Once on an Escape Haven Suite which ended September 17th and on a new sailing Bliss in April 2024. Saved $750 plus on both. There's an initial process you have to follow to get the credit. You sign on or open a veteran gov.id account to verify your military serivce. Very easy process. Then the 10% discount always shows up when planning or booking a crusise. I first used the Veterans discount about 6 to 8 months ago. Ncl also invites you to a very nice cocktail party for veterans which is done very well. Hope this helps? 

Edited by jack300s

7 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

I think there is a way to add a spouse to ID.me.  When he did it I got my own login.  Every day I get emails offering me the discounts - directly from ID.me.  All kinds of offers, not just NCL.  He also has his own login and gets the offers to his email, 

From what you've stated, I'd have to agree about the method of getting you into the system..

Another ripple in the pond.

My TA messaged me today that she did not think that NCL would apply the discount as I was past the 120 day mark. As she is off until Monday, she suggested calling the agency's main number for assistance.

I did that, explained all; was put on hold for about 15 minutes while she called NCL - came back with a no go. She said NCL rep tried to enter it and the system would not allow it. That rep checked with someone else, confirming the "no".

For $591 I was not letting go easily, so I called NCL back. That rep confirmed it could be done, they have done it before, but it's more or less an exception.

Bottom line - NCL just credited my card.

Victory!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Another ripple in the pond.

My TA messaged me today that she did not think that NCL would apply the discount as I was past the 120 day mark. As she is off until Monday, she suggested calling the agency's main number for assistance.

I did that, explained all; was put on hold for about 15 minutes while she called NCL - came back with a no go. She said NCL rep tried to enter it and the system would not allow it. That rep checked with someone else, confirming the "no".

For $591 I was not letting go easily, so I called NCL back. That rep confirmed it could be done, they have done it before, but it's more or less an exception.

Bottom line - NCL just credited my card.

Victory!

Congratulations............I've found the 10% a nice chunk of change.