Major inconvenience for AA passengers at MIA

FlyerTalker

The Skytrain at Miami airport, which runs in the D concourse is offline for repair issues.  This is the main concourse for AA flights.  Apparently there are issues with the structural supports for the train, so it is closed down.  And likely will be for months.

Although most cruisers flying in/out of MIA are not connecting there, it will still result in long walks just getting to and from gates on the concourse, which is a mile long.

Some details can be found here:

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-airlines-passengers-in-miami-will-be-walking-up-to-a-mile-to-their-gates/

Perhaps a reconsideration of what carrier to use might be in order.  OTOH, AA might lower prices to compensate for the inconvenience.  (HA!!!)

Caveat emptor.

• Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Wait ... there's now a train at MIA?!

I never noticed that the walks were particularly long, even when heading out to the far end of Concourse A (as it was then).

The old AA concourses have been long gone.  The current D concourse (including the train) was completed in 2011.  At a cost of almost 3 billion dollars.

It's a bit shorter than the A concourse at DTW, which is the second longest in the world, behind Osaka.

I was only being half serious.

IIRC, the eastern end of what is now Concourse D was originally built in 1995 and known as Concourse A and is basically unchanged from then. For that end of the building, the biggest conceptual change in forming the current Concourse D was probably to create direct airside access between it and the old Concourses B, C and D (where more extensive rebuilding work did take place). As I said, the old Concourse A walks never seemed particularly long, and I often choose to walk similar distances in airports even where there is a train or transit - but obviously it'll be a different story if you really do need to get between the far eastern end and the far western end of Concourse D.

Good to know, Flyertalker.  Thanks!  With the current sh*tshow underway at Delta w/ regard to their loyalty program, I'm exploring more options moving forward, and with a 2nd home in south Florida from which we can base our trips, that almost certainly means looking at some MIA-Euro options in the future.

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Good to know, Flyertalker.  Thanks!  With the current sh*tshow underway at Delta w/ regard to their loyalty program, I'm exploring more options moving forward, and with a 2nd home in south Florida from which we can base our trips, that almost certainly means looking at some MIA-Euro options in the future.

Both AS and B6 have some matches going on right now that might be worth pursuing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Both AS and B6 have some matches going on right now that might be worth pursuing.

Thanks, my request is already in with B6.  Unfortunately I'm on the east coast with very limited flights from my home airport with AS so it's not very viable option for me.  Hoping the match comes through for B6 though!

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Thanks, my request is already in with B6.  Unfortunately I'm on the east coast with very limited flights from my home airport with AS so it's not very viable option for me.  Hoping the match comes through for B6 though!

Remember that AS is in oneWorld, so you would bring that status for flights on AA.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...