Camera/Video equipment for a Panama Canal cruise

MacMadame

18 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Yikes!

I finally got Covid in Sept and the guidelines these days are much looser. I could have left the house after 5 days even though I still had symptoms!

For the cameras, since they weren't attached to your balcony, weren't you afraid someone would steal them?

No. They were in a prominent position and visible by all - including the ships cameras. Besides, this was a SS ship and only had 220 passengers on board. That said, Ive done this on an Azamara ship through the Kiel canal. Generally on any port arrival or departure that sounds interesting, I do the same.

Arriving at Ho Chi Minn City and Hong Kong below. Those were actually interval shot, but these days I just capture the whole thing. And that in itself is a problem. Ive got far too many 256 / 512 and 1GB cards that I still havent gone through from years ago. I enjoy taking.... editing not so much! Ive just resubscribed to adobe cloud so will probably get cracking on them soon.

My usual passion is with my drone, but RCI and SS have just banned the carrying on board of drones, so it makes things impossible. My next sailing on SS in January will be my last. Thats their loss but I will miss the free laundry each day from my sailing status.

Edited by les37b

On 12/2/2023 at 3:29 AM, les37b said:

I enjoy taking.... editing not so much!

I hear you on this.

On 12/2/2023 at 3:29 AM, les37b said:

My usual passion is with my drone, but RCI and SS have just banned the carrying on board of drones, so it makes things impossible.

Princess too. Though my drone is considered a toy and not subject to all those regulations. But I am horrible at flying it and sure it would end up in the ocean so just as well. 🙂

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread to ask: How much telephoto do you think I'll need for wildlife seen during port excursions? I have the 70-200mm f/2.8 left over from my photography business but I was thinking I would need more like 300mm or 400mm but I see none of you are using lenses with that much reach.

Posted (edited)

For the Panama Canal, I bring my Olympus 40-150 mm lens and sit on my aft cruise ship balcony to photograph the locks operations.  For wildlife in other ports, the same lens works fine especially when riding in watercraft.

Edited by Crew News

41 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Reviving this thread to ask: How much telephoto do you think I'll need for wildlife seen during port excursions? I have the 70-200mm f/2.8 left over from my photography business but I was thinking I would need more like 300mm or 400mm but I see none of you are using lenses with that much reach.

Teleconverter?

I did Alaska last summer with a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 1.4x converter. Didn't feel I was missing anything and my memory of our Panama Canal transit, most of Central America is covered in jungle without a lot of open expanses.

If you want to take a look: https://pptphoto.com/galleries/Travel/Cruising/2023 Alaska/index.html

Dave

I used to have a 1.4x converter but sold it off when I sold my other lens. I'm trying to decide if I buy an EF to RF converter for that lens and, if so, I wouldn't want to also put a 1.4x on it. But I might sell the lens and get an RF lens and then I'd get whatever lens makes sense and not go with the converter.

Also, your pictures are making me regret using my iPhone for most of my photography. LOL

On 1/5/2024 at 12:09 PM, MacMadame said:

I would say minimum 400mm. I considered the Canon100-400  but better sense prevailed and I spent the $$ on a 4K camcorder instead. If a heron or eagle comes near me I'll take a picture but I can't drag one more heavy lens with me through airports and on tour buses. Over 400 you'll probably need to take a tripod. 200 doesn't get you much except "If only I'd gone for that 400..."

A 24-70 for walk around and a 100-400 for nature excursions involving birds and critters. A DSLR with 4K video. Phone for timelapse, Gorilla tripod (see my aft railing pics) Go Pro-if you have one use it for underwater on a selfie stick, harness or head/wrist band. 

In the Canal on Christmas day I used Go Pro (time lapse)  Sony4 K camcorder, Canon 6D MKII with a 24-70 and a 70-200 and iPhone from various vantage points of the Ruby Princess.

Norris

• Like 1