Camera/Video equipment for a Panama Canal cruise

MacMadame

I am trying to figure out what to bring for our 2025 Panama Canal Cruise. I plan to take stills but also video possibly for upload to social media. I may print some of the stills (8x10 to 11x16 size)

Background:
I used to be a serious amateur photographer and even did sports photography (and later videography) professionally for a while. That experience really burned me out on photography though (16,000 shots in a day while standing on your feet on a concrete floor will do that. LOL) and I ended up selling all my (Canon) bodies and most of my lenses when I closed my business in 2008. I've recently wanted to get back into it but when I priced a new mirror-less DSLR to go with my Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS USM (and a possibly broken Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 APO DG) lens, I realized I could buy an iPhone 13 Pro for about the same price and the camera is just as good. Also, I admit it, camera technology has really progressed since 2008 (when I closed my business) and I was a bit overwhelmed with all the choices.

So I got the iPhone as I needed a new phone anyway. It works pretty well for a lot of touristy things but I admit I do get frustrated at times to only have a 3x zoom or to not be able to control the depth of field the way I want. Plus I went birding with friends and it was rubbish for that.

So anyway, for this cruise, we are going to:

Cartegena City Tour

Full Transit of the Panama Canal

Panama Canal Train trip with a visit to the new locks observation center

An eco-park in the Rainforest with a tram ride, a butterfly sanctuary, and a botanical garden and another trip to an animal conservative with Scarlet Macaws & Sloths

Mayan Ruins 

Snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta (TBD)

So serious photographers, what do you think my best options would be and why? I am pretty sure I'll be frustrated with the iPhone in the rainforest and I would love to do some underwater photography in Puerto Vallarta and maybe a time-lapse video of the canal transit from my balcony. But there are so many choices and I do hate lugging around a ton of photography equipment like I used to. I am having big-time analysis paralysis. 

I have taken this cruise twice, loved every minute of it. I know nothing about Canon cameras (DSLRs or mirrorless) but my suggestion would be get a mid range mirrorless body and a 24-70/f2.8 or 24-105 range to go with your 70-200. Those are my go to lens for just about anything non-wildlife. For video the iPhone works great but kind of a pain to have your phone tied up doing a Timelapse, for that the old GoPro is great for this and you can pick up and older model kind of cheap. But the 11 delivers some amazing video and is easy to program for time lapse shots.  Only thing is kind of have to watch battery life. I am not sure this is possible or not but would be great to plug external battery into it for long time lapse. Other wise you have to shove batteries in it every 45-60 min.  

Ok I do have one Canon non SLR camera and suggestion, is to go super light and small is the Canon G7 X Mark iii it is a great little pocket camera that allows control over the settings and has good quality photos, zoom range is good nothing too extreme. It is an older model but is decent autofocus. Also shoots video. A lot of YouTubers use this camera for video. So is kind of a good at stills and video.  I think Sony has a model similar but is a little more pricy. 

These would be my suggestions. But I am a drag your kitchen sink along kind of guy. I would freak out with just one camera and a phone. ( which I will admit the iPhone 13 Pro is not bad ) 

16 hours ago, KYBOB said:

Ok I do have one Canon non SLR camera and suggestion, is to go super light and small is the Canon G7 X Mark iii it is a great little pocket camera that allows control over the settings and has good quality photos, zoom range is good nothing too extreme. It is an older model but is decent autofocus. Also shoots video. A lot of YouTubers use this camera for video. So is kind of a good at stills and video.  I think Sony has a model similar but is a little more pricy.

A Canon G7 Mark III is my backup and aboard-ship camera of choice.  It fits in my cargo pants pocket.  My regular and wildlife camera of choice is Olympus EM-1 MK III and for my Panama Canal cruise, I am bringing only a 12-100mm lens.  This lens/camera combo is excellent for scenic views, zoom power for capturing Costa Rica canal wildlife, and very lightweight.. 

image.jpeg.0223072b23358bf7f346e99e4d24fc37.jpeg

image.jpeg.f3bd469daebead44e21aaa88a7493969.jpeg

• Like 2

Not having or wanting another cell phone, I still use traditional DSLR/Mirrorless bodies and my Canon lenses. With over 20 full canal transits, I found using 2 bodies works best for me - one has the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM and the other a lens with more wide angle capability - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM or EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM.

Current bodies are 5D MkIII & R6.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 8:09 AM, Heidi13 said:

Not having or wanting another cell phone, I still use traditional DSLR/Mirrorless bodies and my Canon lenses. With over 20 full canal transits, I found using 2 bodies works best for me - one has the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM and the other a lens with more wide angle capability - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM or EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM.

Current bodies are 5D MkIII & R6.

Thanks!

A GoPro is perfect for the time lapse going through the canal.  Depending upon which model you get it is not too big a deal to use an external battery.  Some ships have small decks toward the bow, below the bridge, which are great for a forward looking video. 

One thing to keep in mind is the effect of condensation on/in the lens when you go from an air conditioned stateroom to the hot and humid exterior.  A lens with big pieces of glass with fog over as soon as you step outdoors. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Re-tired said:

One thing to keep in mind is the effect of condensation on/in the lens when you go from an air conditioned stateroom to the hot and humid exterior.  A lens with big pieces of glass with fog over as soon as you step outdoors. 

Before you get to the canal put your camera outside and let the fogged lens stabilize.  Leave it outside until you are finished with the canal.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I used to carry this when I was serious 

DSC00058-001_zps93c517dd

My current favorite in my Sony pocket rocket .

SonyRX100006_zpsb20de563

I'm up to the RX-100 model VII currently with 4 K as these photos were from 2014 .

My current bag for long reach 70 - 300 and a wide angle crosses the body and looks like a man purse .

P1030610_zpsa8f32ae5

efba0cf1-7306-4a14-a976-deb90391fc07_zpsgtqyj1dx

To extract the camera I just pull the 2 top zippers to the side enough to pull the Canon from it's holster . It doesn't scream CAMERA BAG and has a wide , padded cut resistance strap .

• Like 4

Your first bag looks like what I used to lug around with me. 🤣

I have looked into the Point & Shoots and my iPhone 13 Pro is just as good, if not better than most of them. So I'm going to use that (or something newer if I upgrade between now and then) for my knock-around camera and bring some sort of DSLR (well probably a mirrorless one with an adapter, but they don't seem to have a hand acronym) to put my long lens on.

Now I just have to figure out which of the bazillion Canon mirrorless camera bodies is the best for my needs.

7 hours ago, MacMadame said:

(well probably a mirrorless one with an adapter, but they don't seem to have a handy acronym...

ILC has been used for a while. Interchangeable Lens Camera covers both SLR and Mirrorless and differentiates them from fixed-lens compacts and bridge cameras.

The use of "ILC" is purely voluntary and not required. 😉

Dave

• Like 1

I am thinking about this bag:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9Z9BG6G/?coliid=I12RRBA95QCA01&colid=ELIG6WTKTQ75&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Or this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1725611-REG/national_geographic_ng_e2_5168_camera_backpack.html

I want to use it as a carry-on and add a swimsuit and change of clothing as well as the camera equipment and a MacBook Air and both bags seem like they are set up for that.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in doing any type of time lapse I was take a good look at the new DJI Action 4. Its heads above the GoPro 12. I've been using Action Cameras since GoPro 1, DJI has a real winner with the Action 4. I've run it head to head against the 12 on testing and its just better. The 12 still fails when it comes to overheating. It seem GP can't figure that one out.

https://amzn.to/40AN9rQ

The new DJI Pocket 3 is simply awesome https://amzn.to/3FYhDL1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I was planning to use my phone for the time-lapse. I never thought of a GoPro (or equivalent). 🤔

A GoPro or DJI Action are GREAT cameras for time lapse. I use a small external power bank and the camera will go for 24 hours. I really like the DJI Action 4 better than the GoPro 12.

For day time lapse I have it set to Video and then I set it to every 2 seconds

https://amzn.to/3umRl2D

Power Bank, plugs into the USB port  https://amzn.to/47EEfMi

This Tripod is excellent, it fits on the railings perfectly https://amzn.to/3QLNQKq

Here is a few

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 12:59 AM, MacMadame said:

I tend to call all those cameras GoPros. LOL. And I didn't think about power running out.

I am going to look up the ones you mentioned.

Let us know what you end up with

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 5:01 AM, Laszlo said:

Let us know what you end up with

I'm looking now and this new Insta360 ACE with the AI chip sounds super-interesting. I'm not sure when they come out with new models and my cruise isn't until over a year from now so I may wait until summer to decide.

I'm also looking at the still cameras as a Christmas present to myself. 

My husband is probably thinking, "Why don't you use that drone I bought you last year before you buy new tech?" though. 🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I'm looking now and this new Insta360 ACE with the AI chip sounds super-interesting. I'm not sure when they come out with new models and my cruise isn't until over a year from now so I may wait until summer to decide.

I'm also looking at the still cameras as a Christmas present to myself. 

My husband is probably thinking, "Why don't you use that drone I bought you last year before you buy new tech?" though. 🤣

Yea, the ACE is brand new. I've see a couple reviews comparing it with the DJI Action 4 and the GoPro 12. If you don't plan on using it soon I would wait. DJI Action cameras come out in August / September,  GoPro is about the same time period 

GoPro would have to dramatically improve for me to consider it at this point. But in some areas, the DJI Action 4 and the Insta360 ACE are very competitive. I'd be interested in seeing what the Action 5 (I assume) will do. That's right around my birthday too!

On 10/27/2023 at 12:13 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

My current bag for long reach 70 - 300 and a wide angle crosses the body and looks like a man purse .

P1030610_zpsa8f32ae5

That's the L series lens I had and took everywhere with me, along with my Canon 6D and 24 to 105mm L series lens ...... Until some ****** stole it from my house about 3 months ago by someone I must have let in. Gutted! Decided not to replace, but have treated myself to an Insta360 X3.

OP, when I did the voyage last year, I used 3 DJI action cams to film in 4K the entire 10 hour transit captured on 3 1gb memory cards and with power bank attached to each to keep the batteries working. Worth considering. Below are them converted to timelapse. I did capture the entire transit at 30FPS - just in case there was something of note so it wasn't missed. I should have spent more time in post production with them.

Edited by les37b

19 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Where did you put the cameras? I have been thinking about what direction I should aim my camera.

Though I got laid off today so our trip may be off. 😢

My canon gear was in the front reception room near the door in a rucksack. I had a tracker in the rucksack - but the just took the camera and 2 lenses.

Fingers crossed for your trip!

44 minutes ago, les37b said:

My canon gear was in the front reception room near the door in a rucksack. I had a tracker in the rucksack - but the just took the camera and 2 lenses.

Oh, I meant where did you put them to capture the 3 different perspectives of the Panama Canal crossing. 

20 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Oh, I meant where did you put them to capture the 3 different perspectives of the Panama Canal crossing. 

haha . I was going to answer that but guessed the position of the video would give the game away.

Was on Silver Dawn. Front was simply attached to the railing at front and rear on deck 10/11 and deck 10 on the starboard side. I use an articulating arm to attach and get the angle I want. Got mine from aliexpress or ebay I think for about $8 each, but they are on sale on Amazon for much more.

This is on the UK site.

PS - hope you have better luck than we did. My wife tested positive for covid 36 hours after the transit and spent the next 10 days in the "red zone" isolation with no contact with anyone and real secured area where you had to wear a hazmat anywhere nearby! She had to leave in a hazmat and get changed in a "lesser" quarantine zone before being allowed back in circulation. 

Edited by les37b

4 hours ago, les37b said:

PS - hope you have better luck than we did. My wife tested positive for covid 36 hours after the transit and spent the next 10 days in the "red zone" isolation with no contact with anyone and real secured area where you had to wear a hazmat anywhere nearby! She had to leave in a hazmat and get changed in a "lesser" quarantine zone before being allowed back in circulation. 

Yikes!

I finally got Covid in Sept and the guidelines these days are much looser. I could have left the house after 5 days even though I still had symptoms!

For the cameras, since they weren't attached to your balcony, weren't you afraid someone would steal them?