Recent experiences in Costa Maya for a family of 5

Anilo182

Hi there!

I am trying my best to plan activities for a cruise in November on Royal Caribbean and I am finding a lot of mixed information about places. Some seem to have been great in the past but are not as great as they once were recently.

We will be in Costa Maya with a 10 year old, 7 year old and a 20 month old toddler. I was told by the travel agent that the ruins are the best tours at that port, but I just can't see my young kids enjoying the long drive to get there.

Maya Chan is booked up for our port date unfortunately.

Our travel agent suggested Pez Quadro at 40 Cañones. Is this a good place for young kids?

Jaime's has space for our date, but the constant vendors sounds worrisome while trying to keep track of the kids. Would this be a good spot still?

We are not big drinkers and just want some great food and a nice safe place for the kids to enjoy.

Thank you so very much!

Pez Quadro and  YaYa Beach are just fine for kids.  There's not the water toy activities in Costa Maya like in Cozumel.  You might look at the Maya Kingdom Water Park next to the cruise port.

There's a post below with website and pictures.

6 hours ago, Anilo182 said:

Is the food better at one of those than the other in your opinion?

The website for the water park still states on a popup that it is closed.

It isn’t closed - you will find recent reviews on this board. However i highly doubt you will find great food and there have been mixed reviews as to how prepared they were for reopening.

If you haven’t been to Costa Maya you might consider staying at the port area - plenty of activities to occupy kids (including supposedly a new pool although surprisingly i haven’t seen any reviews so not sure what is included). Again I doubt you will find “great” food but that is subjective.

I find Pez Quadro busy and expensive. 

You might look at some of the other out of town locations suggested on this board if you really want a beach.

Edited by c-leg5

By Village if you mean Mahahual where the beach clubs are, you'll need a taxi. Any of the beach clubs serve food.

The little town right outside of the cruise port is called Nueva Mahahual (used to be Las Casitas) .

There, next to Native Choice is Ki Ha with great coffee and ice cream and other desserts.   There's also Catrina Restaurante in front of the Pyramid. Both of these are easy walks from the cruise port gate.

My preference would to NOT eat at either of the 2 restaurants inside the cruise port.  Expensive and quality is not that good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

By Village if you mean Mahahual where the beach clubs are, you'll need a taxi. Any of the beach clubs serve food.

The little town right outside of the cruise port is called Nueva Mahahual (used to be Las Casitas) .

There, next to Native Choice is Ki Ha with great coffee and ice cream and other desserts.   There's also Catrina Restaurante in front of the Pyramid. Both of these are easy walks from the cruise port gate.

My preference would to NOT eat at either of the 2 restaurants inside the cruise port.  Expensive and quality is not that good.

+1

And a taxi for 5 will be $16-20 each way for a 5 minute ride.