Define “no nickel and dime.”

rico567

24 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

It’s extremely easy. A few days before the end of the cruise, Viking puts a letter in your state room telling you the gratuities will be charged at the end of the cruise unless you go to Guest Services and request it be removed. Nothing hard about that. I think you can also have it removed earlier if you want.

They also ask you in the letter to check your account on the stateroom TV to make sure it’s correct.

I understand, but still harder than paying as part of cruise price like others. I would never adjust gratuities anyway.

It's the fact you market the product as luxury/up-market and give you these reminders and directions about how to get out of paying gratuities.  Just doesn't seem luxury to me.  But to each their own.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

On our 15 day cruise of the western Mediterranean which departs next week, the included excursions offer ten guided walking tours, two museum visits, one mosque, a boat ride on the Bosphorus, three ancient ruin sites, one monastery, a 4th century Roman emperor's palace, and Europe's largest active medieval town. 

Oops!  Wish they would allow you to edit your posts for longer than the brief window available. Our upcoming cruise would be of the eastern Mediterranean, which my mention of the cruise on the Bosphorus should have made clear. Where is an embarrassed face emoji when you need one? 

9 hours ago, mwike said:

I understand, but still harder than paying as part of cruise price like others. I would never adjust gratuities anyway.

It's the fact you market the product as luxury/up-market and give you these reminders and directions about how to get out of paying gratuities.  Just doesn't seem luxury to me.  But to each their own.

There are some markets that Viking include the gratuities in the cabin price, and to my knowledge, there is no option to say no to the gratuities and get a break on the cabin price.  Depending on the length of the cruise, you can be looking at close to $600-$700 per couple in gratuities.

My opinion is that Viking do it this way because you are more likely to just pay it as you have a credit card on file than go and remove it. 

I was involved in the fundraising industry for a few years, and the $1 or $2 donations that are sometimes asked for at the checkout in the grocery or other stores, are very successful because people feel guilty to say no to this, especially if there are people behind you listening.  I personally just say NO.

We have adjisted and removed completely gratuities on Viking and it was a very simple process.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:44 AM, rico567 said:

Our first Viking ocean cruise is coming up next year, and their present advertising is very forward about not “nickel and diming” customers. Since this will also be our first ocean cruise of any kind (we’ve been on a couple of Viking river cruises and enjoyed them greatly) we of course have no basis of comparison to any other ocean cruise line. 
Nevertheless, several items have already presented themselves:

1) The alcoholic beverage package (maybe should not be included on this list, but it’s my list).

2) The blanket gratuity package.

3) The “deviation” charge to simply change the original arbitrarily assigned airline flight.

4) The list of included / charged excursions.

We may run into some other things before it’s over, but I can start with these. Explanations follow.

1) How about several levels of alcohol package, say 3? All this stuff is done by computer anyhow, so no real cost to Viking…..

But the servers would have to keep track of which alcohol package each person had; I suppose it *could* be done, but I can see why they don't. It would be the same as adding multiple levels of food choices to each guest--which they don't do.

2) Gratuities are a can of worms, judging by what I’ve read on the boards, but not knowing how our gratuity package is parceled out is pretty unsatisfactory. Yeah, I’d like to make sure the ship’s service people I don’t even have contact with get some sort of gratuity, but I’d also like to make sure someone like our cabin steward is compensated better.

Easy solution--don't prepay. It's not nickel and diming, it's an option for people who want to make sure they tip something to all the ship's employees rather than just their room steward.

We do both; we prepay to compensate the staff, who work hard for fairly low pay, and we leave extra for our room steward.

3) Viking Air, in assigning our included flights, arbitrarily put us on a very early morning flight that gets us out of bed at 0300 in the middle of January, and that time of year is fraught with uncertainty where we live. Simply to get the flight for the two of us moved back a day to give us some buffer to work with cost us $200. If we had had any choice about the original flight, that would be different, but we didn’t.

Easy solution: book your own airfare.

4) The list Viking gave us of excursions certainly has at least one “included” excursion at each port of call- but in nearly every case, the included ones are not much more than shopping in the port city. An all day excursion that looks interesting runs $100-200 per person.

I don't agree at all. Some of the included excursions are fairly perfunctory, but some are a lot of fun and are certainly not just "shopping." For example, the Budapest excursion today included seeing the famous synagogue, the Chain Bridge, Matthias Church--none of which involved shopping. 

Of course, I’m certain Viking would not define any of these things as “nickel and diming” their customers…..so where exactly does that start?

On other cruise lines, where they charge for specialty dining, laundry, every excursion (none included), stop you to take your photo, which they then charge fees for. 

Viking's not for everybody, but we like it just fine. We're on the Grand European river cruise right now, in fact.

• Like 5

OP: Don't get to hung up on the marketing each cruise lines puts out there.  There are so many different cruise lines that the thing to do is try different lines and see what you like and don't like.  I really think you'll find a fit along the way and you'll visit a lot of neat places while doing it. VO is not for everyone, that's for sure, but VO is a great fit for some people, they run full ships just like most cruise lines. 

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

OP: Don't get to hung up on the marketing each cruise lines puts out there.  There are so many different cruise lines that the thing to do is try different lines and see what you like and don't like.  I really think you'll find a fit along the way and you'll visit a lot of neat places while doing it. VO is not for everyone, that's for sure, but VO is a great fit for some people, they run full ships just like most cruise lines. 

That's probably the best advice for this thread. You have to try a few cruise lines that compete at similar price points and find out what what cruise line works the best for you. The unfortunate part is sometimes regulars of a line have a poor(er) or less than ideal experience on a particular itinerary because it's the combination of staff, food, or whatever that made it worse. Everybody has off days, including cruise lines.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, Mike07 said:

That's probably the best advice for this thread. You have to try a few cruise lines that compete at similar price points and find out what what cruise line works the best for you. The unfortunate part is sometimes regulars of a line have a poor(er) or less than ideal experience on a particular itinerary because it's the combination of staff, food, or whatever that made it worse. Everybody has off days, including cruise lines.

I agree.  And after experiencing other cruise lines, I think most will agree that Viking has far less "nickel and diming" than just about every other cruise line out there ( except a few of the other very high end lines ).

We have been on NCL, Celebrity, RCL, etc...and there is no comparison.

We are also a fan of the prepaid drink packages, and have tried them on all of the cruise lines we have been on.  Mostly due to the fact that the other lines charge an "arm and a leg" for drinks, and we like to try a few different drinks without worrying about the cost ( i.e. - if we don't like a drink we don't feel guilty about not drinking it ).  Viking is by far the best deal out there.  

Edited by farmecologist
  • Like 3

Perhaps it is just that other than one cruise as a couple we have only cruised on Viking, and we know the drill on Viking we are hesitant to book with anyone else.  We do take the SS package for convenience and as a preference on how we pay for our alcohol.  We also however enjoy that we can have soft drinks, juices, and specialty coffees at any time.  We also love to have 4 o'clock Tea  (Ocean) at no extra charge.  I order tea to my cabin every morning (Ocean) for 5am.  No additional charge.

We are curious to try other lines, but we get as far as booking the cabin and they seem to want payment and there is not really any definitive listing of what is included and what is going to cost more.  We know when we are paying for the cabin with Viking that we add SS and then we are done.

We don't want to get on a ship and then find out that we have to pay for this and that and the other thing.

• Like 3

I will board my first Viking cruise next week. I’ve sailed with Disney, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I am completely stunned by everything that Viking includes.

I used to work in HR for a very generous nonprofit foundation. We always said no one should join us for their first job. They wouldn’t truly appreciate what we offered and subsequent employers would be disappointing. 
Maybe Viking should require sailing with another brand as a prerequisite to booking? 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I will board my first Viking cruise next week. I’ve sailed with Disney, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I am completely stunned by everything that Viking includes.

I used to work in HR for a very generous nonprofit foundation. We always said no one should join us for their first job. They wouldn’t truly appreciate what we offered and subsequent employers would be disappointing. 
Maybe Viking should require sailing with another brand as a prerequisite to booking? 😁

Compare apples to apples on pricing. You are paying for "everything that Viking includes." It's all baked in the cake. The fact that you're "stunned" is evidence that their marketing is working well.

22 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Compare apples to apples on pricing. You are paying for "everything that Viking includes." It's all baked in the cake. The fact that you're "stunned" is evidence that their marketing is working well.

Not at all. I am used to paying extra for a balcony cabin, WiFi, bottled water, specialty meals, the thermal spa etc. The price I paid for my upcoming 33 day Viking cruise is $2000 more than I paid for a 14 day cruise on NCL. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We are curious to try other lines, but we get as far as booking the cabin and they seem to want payment and there is not really any definitive listing of what is included and what is going to cost more.  We know when we are paying for the cabin with Viking that we add SS and then we are done.

We don't want to get on a ship and then find out that we have to pay for this and that and the other thing.

Both Oceania and Regent pretty well spell out what all is included. Regent includes business air all cabins, and this is stated. Oceania gives prices with or without included regular airfare.

I have had trouble determining what is included on Seabourn or Azamara. 

On 10/7/2023 at 7:50 AM, Mike07 said:

On our Viking Polaris Cruise in September 2023 we had the SSB plan.  I was surprised that a gratuity was not added.  Many cruise line charge you for every glass of wine or each drink and then add 18-20% to the total cost for a gratuity.  On Viking they also kept my wine glass filled. I had to watch and signal "No more pour for me". Again I would not purchase the SSB plan, but stop by the bar on the way to dinner or lunch to order a special wine or beer.

It is great having room service with NO CHARGE.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MSEm said:

On our Viking Polaris Cruise in September 2023 we had the SSB plan.  I was surprised that a gratuity was not added.  Many cruise line charge you for every glass of wine or each drink and then add 18-20% to the total cost for a gratuity.  On Viking they also kept my wine glass filled. I had to watch and signal "No more pour for me". Again I would not purchase the SSB plan, but stop by the bar on the way to dinner or lunch to order a special wine or beer.

It is great having room service with NO CHARGE.

Sorry - I’m not sure if I understand - you said you had the SSB plan, but then say you would not purchase the SSB plan?

On 10/3/2023 at 10:07 PM, Selion said:

1. Beer & wine are included at lunch & dinner.  You only need the SSBP if you want an expanded selection of wines at meals, and alcoholic beverages outside of meal times.  I think it's now $22/day/person.  That's only $2 more than what NCL charges for its basic drink package's "service fee."

2. Very few cruise lines include gratuities in their fares when the bookings are made in the US market.  If you want your Viking cruise fares to include gratuities, book through their UK office (if Viking allows it).

3. Don't use Viking air and book your own.  I've done both.  On my first Viking cruise, I dropped Viking air and booked our own after final payment.  $$ saved.  Used Viking air on the 2nd cruise because private transfers between disembarkation port and the airport would be around $300.

4. Again, I've done both included and optional excursions.  While some included excursions are nothing more than a bus ride around the town, some walking tours are well worth the time.  At the very least the included excursions will give you a free ride into the cities with a narrated tour.  Yeah, there were always free time to explore but Viking guides don't take the groups to shops (except for that one dude at Livorno and we just left the group).

1. It is $25 per day per person (both people in the cabin have to have Silver package) AND drinks up to $18 except for champagne).

Some times house wine is not very good (personal opinion) if you are a wine drinker. Also it’s nice to order a drink without thinking if it’s included or not.

People are different and you need to decide what you want and Viking gives you a choice. I wouldn’t call this “nickel and diming”. It’s a choice - you choose to have wine and beer at the lunch and dinner; any coffee drink through the day; you can bring your own booze on the ship AND to the dining place with no cork fee; you could buy drink by glass that is outside included drinks OR you could buy Silver Package and don’t think what you ordered.

A lot of choices and Choice IS Yours.

😁

Just now, vnb2003 said:

1. It is $25 per day per person (both people in the cabin have to have Silver package) AND drinks up to $18 except for champagne).

Some times house wine is not very good (personal opinion) if you are a wine drinker. Also it’s nice to order a drink without thinking if it’s included or not.

People are different and you need to decide what you want and Viking gives you a choice. I wouldn’t call this “nickel and diming”. It’s a choice - you choose to have wine and beer at the lunch and dinner; any coffee drink through the day; you can bring your own booze on the ship AND to the dining place with no cork fee; you could buy drink by glass that is outside included drinks OR you could buy Silver Package and don’t think what you ordered.

A lot of choices and Choice IS Yours.

😁

Oh, forgot to mention. The price of a drink includes 15% gratitudes

• Thanks 1

We had the SSB package on our Sept 2023 Viking Polaris cruise. WE dod not drick mixed drinks and or only drinking 1 or 2 glasses of wine a day. I would not purchase the SSB on future cruises. If I want a glass of wine from the menu, I will just order at the bar before diner to take to the dining room.

Most of the wines by the glass on the menu were $8.  I cannot purchase a glass of good wine in local restaurants for $8 per glass.  It is also very nice to bu a bottle of wine when cruising and to be able to take the wine to the dining room without a corkage fee of $25 or more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MSEm said:

We had the SSB package on our Sept 2023 Viking Polaris cruise. WE dod not drick mixed drinks and or only drinking 1 or 2 glasses of wine a day. I would not purchase the SSB on future cruises. If I want a glass of wine from the menu, I will just order at the bar before diner to take to the dining room.

Most of the wines by the glass on the menu were $8.  I cannot purchase a glass of good wine in local restaurants for $8 per glass.  It is also very nice to bu a bottle of wine when cruising and to be able to take the wine to the dining room without a corkage fee of $25 or more.

When you buy a glass of wine you have now paid for more than one glass of wine.

3 hours ago, MSEm said:

Thanks for clarifying 

On 11/5/2023 at 3:13 PM, Hobson1754 said:

Sorry - I’m not sure if I understand - you said you had the SSB plan, but then say you would not purchase the SSB plan?

V offers "free" SS bev pkg at times, as incentive to book.  Nice if you have it, and did not have to pay extra.  Some pax here on CC refer to its' being offered for "free" as a cruise discount, whilst also maintaining the cruise list price.

• Like 1

FWIW, we were just on an Oceania cruise with a group of friends, all of whom are experienced Viking customers.  We ALL felt that, compared to Viking, Oceania was "nickle-dime" on several fronts.  We had to pay extra for ALL of our excursions (I think Oceania is changing this pricing model for future cruises though), their beverage package is substantially more expensive than Viking's, and not nearly as comprehensive (e.g.: bottles of wine, and most of the better wines by the glass, are not included in the package, there is a $25 or $35 corkage fee for wine you bring on board yourself, and on Greek night in the restaurant they had a "wonderful Greek wine to compliment your dining experience" but it wasn't included in the beverage package and cost an additional $15/glass plus 20% gratuity), the spa, for many passengers, was extra, and they were constantly barraging us with "sales" in their on-board shop or encouraging us to spend more with them.

When I board a Viking ship, I know the only additional expense I'll have are the gratuities which I'm happy to pay given the level of service we've consistently received on board.  I certainly didn't feel that way on Oceania.

• Like 5

It's all relative. Compare apples to apples on price per night. Beer & wine on Viking are not "free" - neither is included excursions. I'd be unhappy about the corkage if I was so inclined and anyone bugging me about sales gets told what I think of that.

17 hours ago, duquephart said:

It's all relative. Compare apples to apples on price per night. Beer & wine on Viking are not "free" - neither is included excursions. I'd be unhappy about the corkage if I was so inclined and anyone bugging me about sales gets told what I think of that.

What is apples to apples FOR ME, is that when I price a cruise I don't look at the price per night necessarily, I look at my total cruise fare.  Is it in my budget?  15K for two on Viking I know I don't have to spend more if I don't want to and I have a lot included.  Yes, it might be baked into the cost, but I know the price.

If I get on another ship and my cruise fare may be 12K, but I have to pay for this and that and the other thing, then in the end it may cost more than Viking where I know what I am going to get.  

We just like the pricing model of Viking because we know what we will get.

18 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

FWIW, we were just on an Oceania cruise with a group of friends, all of whom are experienced Viking customers.  We ALL felt that, compared to Viking, Oceania was "nickle-dime" on several fronts.  We had to pay extra for ALL of our excursions (I think Oceania is changing this pricing model for future cruises though), their beverage package is substantially more expensive than Viking's, and not nearly as comprehensive (e.g.: bottles of wine, and most of the better wines by the glass, are not included in the package, there is a $25 or $35 corkage fee for wine you bring on board yourself, and on Greek night in the restaurant they had a "wonderful Greek wine to compliment your dining experience" but it wasn't included in the beverage package and cost an additional $15/glass plus 20% gratuity), the spa, for many passengers, was extra, and they were constantly barraging us with "sales" in their on-board shop or encouraging us to spend more with them.

When I board a Viking ship, I know the only additional expense I'll have are the gratuities which I'm happy to pay given the level of service we've consistently received on board.  I certainly didn't feel that way on Oceania.

This is interesting... We have looked at Oceania and have always dropped back because we felt that to get our Viking value, it would cost much much more and we are not convinced that Oceania is worth more...

6 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

What is apples to apples FOR ME, is that when I price a cruise I don't look at the price per night necessarily, I look at my total cruise fare.  Is it in my budget?  15K for two on Viking I know I don't have to spend more if I don't want to and I have a lot included.  Yes, it might be baked into the cost, but I know the price.

If I get on another ship and my cruise fare may be 12K, but I have to pay for this and that and the other thing, then in the end it may cost more than Viking where I know what I am going to get.  

We just like the pricing model of Viking because we know what we will get.

This is interesting... We have looked at Oceania and have always dropped back because we felt that to get our Viking value, it would cost much much more and we are not convinced that Oceania is worth more...

You never "have to spend more if I don't want to" regardless of the cruise line.