Shareholders OBC is rejected if you use a travel agent

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You missed the obvious point that if there is a better/cheaper way to take I cruise, I would like to know what it is.

Or you missed the obvious point that it is better to ask nicely rather than demand examples/proof. Remember, you are seeking help in learning, not prosecuting a case.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not to their own set of facts.

A great trope, but I suspect you're only willing to listen to someone's opinion when they share YOUR set of facts.

9 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

A great trope, but I suspect you're only willing to listen to someone's opinion when they share YOUR set of facts.

Probably true, but really when you come down to it, there really are FACTS. How we see them may very well be affected by our opinions, but at some point things are either true or not true.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Probably true, but really when you come down to it, there really are FACTS. How we see them may very well be affected by our opinions, but at some point things are either true or not true.

Right, but different opinions can be factual to the person holding that opinion, which exposes the fatal flaw in the trope.

Different people have different opinions on the value of both time and money. Those opinions are facts to the holder of the opinion.

A person can say "The Haven is a waste of money". That is their opinion, and it is their fact. Another person can feel completely different about whether or not the Haven is a waste of money, but that can never negate the opinion and/or facts of the first person. Again, this is because people can have different values for both time and money.

Thus, the poster who feels that a TA is a waste of money is correct when it comes to their own valuation, just as you are correct when it comes to yours. Thus you can each have your own facts to support your opinions.

13 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Right, but different opinions can be factual to the person holding that opinion, which exposes the fatal flaw in the trope.

Different people have different opinions on the value of both time and money. Those opinions are facts to the holder of the opinion.

A person can say "The Haven is a waste of money". That is their opinion, and it is their fact. Another person can feel completely different about whether or not the Haven is a waste of money, but that can never negate the opinion and/or facts of the first person. Again, this is because people can have different values for both time and money.

Thus, the poster who feels that a TA is a waste of money is correct when it comes to their own valuation, just as you are correct when it comes to yours. Thus you can each have your own facts to support your opinions.

I was more referring to FACTS rather than opinions of whether something is worth the money or not. I don't want to post something political when it comes to FACTS, but I'll settle for the earth is round, not flat.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I was more referring to FACTS rather than opinions of whether something is worth the money or not. I don't want to post something political when it comes to FACTS, but I'll settle for the earth is round, not flat.

Which goes back to the poster who said that a TA was a waste of money. That opinion is still based on their own facts, and their own valuation of both time and of money. Your challenge to that position was incorrect in that you were trying to hold that person to your own individual facts/opinions. IOW, you are willing to allow someone to have an opinion, as long as it aligns with your own...as I noted before.

As an aside, since you proclaim a desire for, as you put it, FACTS, let me pause to point out that the Earth is an irregularly shaped ellipsoid, not "round". But that is just a fact.

1 hour ago, Capitan Obvious said:

The poster claimed he could get cruise fares better than any TA.  The question is this: is that a fact or an opinion?  The poster stated that as a fact and not as an opinion.

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The poster claimed he could get cruise fares better than any TA.  The question is this: is that a fact or an opinion?  The poster stated that as a fact and not as an opinion.

It is an absolute fact.  Thanks for asking, I did not intend to create such a ruckus.  Sorry that so many people are choosing to get in such a stir iver my post!  I'lll all of you to get back on track with the original topic od discussion.  Enjoy your cruises...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

It is an absolute fact.  Thanks for asking, I did not intend to create such a ruckus.  Sorry that so many people are choosing to get in such a stir iver my post!  I'lll all of you to get back on track with the original topic od discussion.  Enjoy your cruises...

Can you provide an example of the fares you've received that can be compared to other fares offered by TA?

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 12:31 PM, mexico8 said:

This went downhill pretty quickly. 

(I skipped a few pages to get to the end to find out if the OP got the shipboard credit and now I see the big discussion about fact vs opinion etc.)

It is a fact that some TA will offer up to a 10% discount over NCL fares.

It is an opinion that TA are a waste of money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

It is a fact that some TA will offer up to a 10% discount over NCL fares.

It is an opinion that TA are a waste of money.

Do you see the flaw in the argument, or is it that you just don't care?

First, there is no way, simply no way, that you could possibly know what fare discounts are offered by each and every TA out there. Thus, you can't state, as a fact, that TAs "offer up to a 10% discount" and call that a fact. If I name just one TA who discounts at 11%, your "fact" becomes a "falsehood".

More likely that you have only run into a max 10% discount, you assume that is what all TAs do, and thus you treat your limited experience as a fact, rather than recognizing that this is simply your own opinion influenced by your limited experience. Much in the same way the person who believes that a TA is a waste of money, sees that position as a fact, because to them it is.

On 10/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, mexico8 said:

This went downhill pretty quickly. 

(I skipped a few pages to get to the end to find out if the OP got the shipboard credit and now I see the big discussion about fact vs opinion etc.)

I love this board - you guys crack me up, so entertaining while allowing me to learn something once in a while.  Back to the subject at hand.  I've only used a TA once and it was not for a cruise, but the experience was so horrible I have sworn off of them.  Also checked all my upcoming cruises and Shareholder Credit is still right where I left it.

🤞

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

First, there is no way, simply no way, that you could possibly know what fare discounts are offered by each and every TA out there. Thus, you can't state, as a fact, that TAs "offer up to a 10% discount" and call that a fact. If I name just one TA who discounts at 11%, your "fact" becomes a "falsehood".

More likely that you have only run into a max 10% discount, you assume that is what all TAs do, and thus you treat your limited experience as a fact, rather than recognizing that this is simply your own opinion influenced by your limited experience. Much in the same way the person who believes that a TA is a waste of money, sees that position as a fact, because to them it is.

I think @RocketMan275 said SOME TAs offer up to a 10% discount, not all TAs which seems to be your argument in your first sentence. And if some TAs offer an even greater discount, that does not make what he wrote wrong, and actually strengthens his argument for using a TA.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

It is obvious that you overlooked  the word "some".  

And, no, I've assumed nothing.  I know some offer 8-10%.  I know some offer nothing.

I do know that if a TA offers an 8% discount, you're not wasting money by doing business with her instead of paying full far at NCL.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, CaptainSailPants said:

If were counting hands , my TA knocks off at least 10% from NCL direct .

And thats a FACT  !

Some refuse to believe a TA can save you money.  

I understand why some won't accept that.  They do web search and only find TA that charge the same as the cruise lines.  Most cruise lines prohibit TA from advertising prices other than those charged by the cruise line.  That includes pricing on the internet.  You have to call to get the discounts.  Therefore, the claim that TA don't discount and are a waste of money.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2023 at 4:30 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

One fact is that we just received our stock holder benefit about 10 days after request, and we always use a 2nd party TA.

40ish days from sailing.

When I look at the conditions of this promotion found on https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/shareholder-benefits, I see that it says that "travel agent rates are excluded", but it doesn't mean that you got travel agent rates. Maybe you just didn't get those rates, and therefore were edglible for the promo.

However in my eyes these conditions make no sense, if someone purchases shares it has benefits for NCL, it has nothing to do with any holliday you book. It doesn't matter if you get a special rate, because there are others who also get this TA rate, and they didn't buy any NCL shares. So basicly they are saying that they prefer you not to purchase NCL shares. That wouldn't make sense, because then everyone sells if you can't have that benefit, and then the stock crashes.

On 10/29/2023 at 7:33 AM, ontheweb said:

I think @RocketMan275 said SOME TAs offer up to a 10% discount, not all TAs which seems to be your argument in your first sentence. And if some TAs offer an even greater discount, that does not make what he wrote wrong, and actually strengthens his argument for using a TA.

You are correct in that RocketMan275 said "some"...I even included that quote in my post, thus indicating that I was, in fact, aware that he said it. What my first sentence referenced, and what YOU missed, was that he said "UP TO A 10% DISCOUNT". And yes, if even one TA offers more than that, it makes the "up to" statement very wrong.

That aside, nobody is questioning his, or anyone else's personal choice in using a TA. If you want to use one...fine, go right ahead. The issue here is that some can't make that choice for themselves and simply accept that other people may not value a TA in the same way as they do...or value them at all.

I've asked before, if someone doesn't see the value in a TA, so what? Why would you care? If someone does not want to use a TA (for ANY reason), why can't you simply let them do what they want? Why the desire to make others feel as you do?

On 10/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, RocketMan275 said:

It is obvious that you overlooked  the word "some".  

And, no, I've assumed nothing.  I know some offer 8-10%.  I know some offer nothing.

I do know that if a TA offers an 8% discount, you're not wasting money by doing business with her instead of paying full far at NCL.

Again...not at all. As it was part of the quote in the post, it is OBVIOUS that it was NOT overlooked. The problem, of course, is the use of "up to", but you're so focused on "argue" that you don't even see the error in your own statement.

And you have assumed. You've assumed an "up to 10% discount". You've assumed that it can't be more than 10%. You've assumed that you can definitively speak for every single TA. Again, if just one TA offers 11%, then your discount statement becomes a falsehood.

FWIW, there is more to the TA vs PCC choice than cost. The service provided, other fees, cancellation schedules, etc all play a part. Can you accept that some people MIGHT...just MIGHT...place value on other aspects of the relationship that IN THIER OPINION far outweigh an 8% discount? Not everyone goes through life worrying about all of their nickels and dimes. 

11 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

FWIW, there is more to the TA vs PCC choice than cost. The service provided, other fees, cancellation schedules, etc all play a part. Can you accept that some people MIGHT...just MIGHT...place value on other aspects of the relationship that IN THIER OPINION far outweigh an 8% discount? Not everyone goes through life worrying about all of their nickels and dimes. 

It's obvious that you just want to argue.  Bye.

45 minutes ago, sebastienbo said:

When I look at the conditions of this promotion found on https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/shareholder-benefits, I see that it says that "travel agent rates are excluded", but it doesn't mean that you got travel agent rates. Maybe you just didn't get those rates, and therefore were edglible for the promo.

Travel agent rates means the discounted rate a travel agent is able to get when they book a cruise, depending on their status with the cruise line. These aren't general public rates or rates an agent is allowed to share with customers. It is for the travel agent's personal use. They exclude Haven in these rates, so I'm unable to book a Norwegian cruise using travel agent rates. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, IAcruising said:

Says some anonymous internet poster who refuses to back up his "facts" with, you know, "facts".

Wow, are you really bothered that much that someone else might be getting a better price on their cruise than yo do?   BTW you as well are an " anonymous internet poster" who refuses to back up his claims about TA prices with, you know, "facts".  Funny how that works.  Thanks for playing.

Gee this is fun!

On 10/4/2023 at 11:57 PM, MountainToTheSea said:

We applied for our OBC for our upcoming 21 day cruise. We were just declined because we used a travel agent. Just heads up to everyone…no sense in owning the stock if you use a TA! 

Good to know so I can sell the stock before it loses any more value.