Symphony on song

Noggins

26 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

New Crystal just moved a top category all the way forward where in addition to bring a long way from midship elevator will have some rocky seas. Both Silversea and Explora have some larger configurations adjacent to midships. As far as access from outside,  I don’t know where that comes from. Certainly don’t know what AtA could be referring to. 

On Seabourn and on SS.

BTW: You wouldn't get me on SS again. We were on Whisper and I mentioned to my butler in the afternoon how there was no place to get a cookie. His response? "The other SS ships have a place to get a cookie." Not, "let me go find you one. What kind would you like?" And that was just one example of day after day of what really was sub par service on SS. 

40 minutes ago, AtA said:

but the new, blingy ships feel more compartmentalized without a "central core" and without the promenade deck. Plus rooms on these new ships tend to be forward or aft on each floor versus having several floors just for rooms. To access the very top deck rooms, one is limited to one elevator or walking outdoors to access the rooms. Just one example. And those most expensive rooms are forward of the pool.

My feeling is if Crystal can somehow keep the feel of the ships they have while updating them, they will be far ahead of any of the other cruise lines.

Not all new ships are designed the way you’ve described - as just one example, Explora has full decks of public areas and seperate decks of suites - and they’re building a fleet of 6 ships to that specification

If a promenade is your thing and a “must have” you’re going to have a very limited range of options going forward 

As to the crew being unique in their anticipation I don’t agree with that - we’ve experienced it on other lines as well but I will agree that in the past many of the Crystal crew had been very good at doing that 

3 minutes ago, AtA said:

BTW: You wouldn't get me on SS again. We were on Whisper and I mentioned to my butler in the afternoon how there was no place to get a cookie

Silversea have 13 ships and thousands of crew and you’re judging an entire company on a response from a single crew member?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Not all new ships are designed the way you’ve described - as just one example, Explora has full decks of public areas and seperate decks of suites - and they’re building a fleet of 6 ships to that specification

If a promenade is your thing and a “must have” you’re going to have a very limited range of options going forward 

As to the crew being unique in their anticipation I don’t agree with that - we’ve experienced it on other lines as well but I will agree that in the past many of the Crystal crew had been very good at doing that 

Of the "top" lines we've sailed, Seabourn came closest to service like Crystal, although our cabin stewardesses couldn't seem to get certain things right. Silly things which kept us laughing. The issue with Seabourn was the food was nowhere near the quality of Crystal. Actually none of the other 3 were. Hoping if we eventually do try Explora, we'll be wowed by the food and service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

Silversea have 13 ships and thousands of crew and you’re judging an entire company on a response from a single crew member?

No I judged it being on the ship for 21 days and having overall lousy service, from the butler to staff to in the restaurants. We were with 3 friends and NONE of us would ever choose SS again based on the service etc. 

Another example? One in our group needed some help getting down the VERY steep gangway at most of the ports. He had booked a bus tour (no walking) and was told that no one could help him down the gangway, so sorry he has to stay aboard.

No cookies on Silversea!!??  Quel domage!! But not  true. Arts Cafe has coffee, cookies, brownies, pastries etc. Also some soups and sandwiches. Available all day and evening. They also deliver. 
We spent 70 days on Moon this past winter. My wife is walking challenged. Staff could not have been more helpful both at gangway and boarding tenders. Literally carried her down a couple times. 
Service in Atlantide and Terrazza couldn’t have been better. Of course a kind word usually helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Hi Adrian

Sorry to hear of the weather conditions in your new home and hope you all dry out soon !!

As ever, a great read and totally relatable. I think your thoughts regarding being recognised by a sommelier are spot on, don't forget, I can speak from experience. I wondered how reduced numbers would affect the vibe on board. The increased space ratio, which was excellent before, is perhaps a double-edged sword ? 

We have just booked the Serenity for an Alaskan cruise next July, as part of a longer holiday Our first experience on that ship, all our other Crystal trips having been on Symphony. As you know, we will be embarking on Explora in a few weeks time and I am heartened by Terry's ( Mr Stickman ) positivity. I believe our trip will be at a greater capacity so it remains to be seen how often we can get to eat in Sakora, which really appeals. Of course, I will post my thoughts on that board upon our return.

Love to E and take care

Colin

Will look out for your comments - on both ships! I'm sure you'll be very happy with both although we too favour Symphony because we just prefer her version of Starlight and The Avenue. Otherwise we hardly notice the differences - except perhaps in future those extra passengers on Serenity will be important to the vibe?! (Symphony's passenger load at the moment sounds terrible. If only they had said I would have willingly stayed on to help out ..)

Best to you and S

Adrian 

22 hours ago, ryndam said:

Adrian, thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts. Very nicely composed and objective observations.

On a related (or unrelated note) about the "old fashioned" hardware references - we totally understand. We were very loyal travelers on the Rotterdam V and QE2, probably sailing on both ships long after their "pull-dates". The staff, the atmosphere onboard and the feeling of comfort/coming home was important. Same qualities as you have noted about Symphony. But both ships did finally reach the end of their commercially viable sailing careers, as will both Symphony and Serenity. Hopefully their replacements will sail sooner, rather than later.

Rob

Thanks Rob

We too were very fond of QE2. We have even been known  to search out older ships because of their characteristics. But as is often pointed out to me I am a long way from being 'normal'.....

Adrian 

19 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Thanks Adrian!  I just want to point out that Adrian was in no way compensated or campaigned for his comment about the Starlight ceiling.  😆 

Well, Vince, to be honest I hadn't previously noticed that ceiling until you mentioned it. You're right - hideous!

I was going to add to my list that dreadful fluted canopy on the pool deck which I have always disliked but took the chance to demonstrate an ability to read / remember / look - even at my age. Looking forward to reading your updated observations in due course.

Adrian 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

New Crystal just moved a top category all the way forward where in addition to bring a long way from midship elevator will have some rocky seas. Both Silversea and Explora have some larger configurations adjacent to midships. As far as access from outside,  I don’t know where that comes from. Certainly don’t know what AtA could be referring to. 

We have been on Quest, Ovation and Silver Moon in the last year, in rooms forward on/or above the pool deck. In order to get to the rear of the ship, where all the amenities are, it was necessary to cross the pool deck, which is no big deal in wamer, dry weather. In cool/wet weather, it was necessary to drop down to a lower deck and walk down the hall to the aft. Not a big deal, but that is what AtA is referring to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Ahh, got it. Correct. That’s one if the reasons I never book those cabins. Of course I study deck plans well in advance. 

On many of the newer ships, if you want a room of a certain size, you have no choice.

One of the things we really liked about Silver Moon is La Dolce Vita lounge obviated the problem, as we always went from our room to that lounge before dinner! 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bayonejoe said:

However, Dolce Vitae is not Palm Court , Deck 5 for Dolce Vitae whereas Palm is deck 12 with a view.😁😁😁

Correct - if views are your thing then just go to the Observation lounge which provides forward views 

I’d say Dolce Vita is more like the Cove or Starlite Club lounge as opposed to Palm Court 

Every ship has its strengths and weaknesses - and they’ll vary from guest to guest and their preferences. We do like Palm Court as we also like Dolce Vita - for different reasons 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

I’ve been in a completely empty Palm Court, then walked downstairs and Starlight was packed. I’ve never seem a crowd in Palm Court, but maybe I don’t stay up late enough. 

Sailaways are often very busy in the Palm Court along with Trivia on Serenity and afternoon tea time - but I can’t recall the last time I saw it busy in the evenings although there is often great entertainers up there

14 hours ago, Noggins said:

Well, Vince, to be honest I hadn't previously noticed that ceiling until you mentioned it. You're right - hideous!

I was going to add to my list that dreadful fluted canopy on the pool deck which I have always disliked but took the chance to demonstrate an ability to read / remember / look - even at my age. Looking forward to reading your updated observations in due course.

Adrian 

Agreed!  I never loved that canopy even when it first appeared on Harmony, so I don’t know if I ever considered it dated as much as it just not being to my taste, but it hasn’t aged any better than anything else either.  I know everything fights for space in a refit budget, but I was kind of surprised at the things they did spend money on in the 2009 pol re-do (like the water feature under the Jacuzzi that was quickly paneled over) vs. updating the extremely high profile canopy.  The goal of that zone of the refit was to completely change the vibe of the Seahorse pool… Which the rest of the changes did nicely, which only made that canopy stand out even more.  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Vince

6 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

I’ve been in a completely empty Palm Court, then walked downstairs and Starlight was packed. I’ve never seem a crowd in Palm Court, but maybe I don’t stay up late enough. 

Palm Court on Symphony has never been very popular.

One reason was its original design.  The other was after Starlight was opened up and it really has become the all purpose lounge.  The other issue is at night as we learned from one of the people involved with Serenity and Symphony up until around five years ago at night it is not popular real estate. In other words, people dine and don't want to go all the way up for a visit to Palm Court.

Serenity utilizes the Palm Court much more than Symphony but the reason is Serenity does not have a lounge like Starlight. Yes they do have Stardust but it is different in terms of location and that it is not welcoming.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

In nearly 30 years of cruising the Crystal ships, I've never see Palm Court packed unless it's a party.

• Like 1

Explora has the best top deck lounge I have ever seen. Inside and outside areas. This includes seating outdoors and wind baffles. I dude there is dome over modt forward area so you can have tea in the sun. Remarkable. And guess what, yea time very well attended. Get there early to get best tables. 

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Palm Court on Symphony has never been very popular.

One reason was its original design.  The other was after Starlight was opened up and it really has become the all purpose lounge.  The other issue is at night as we learned from one of the people involved with Serenity and Symphony up until around five years ago at night it is not popular real estate. In other words, people dine and don't want to go all the way up for a visit to Palm Court.

Serenity utilizes the Palm Court much more than Symphony but the reason is Serenity does not have a lounge like Starlight. Yes they do have Stardust but it is different in terms of location and that it is not welcoming.

Keith

You nailed it, Keith!  The concept for the Palm Court on Serenity was a shift from the design of Symphony’s…. It was given a formal stage (prior to 2018) and a large dance floor expressly to give it the cabaret and music entertainment function that the Starliite serves on Symphony.  The Stardust’s location and interior orientation was designed for it to hold more night events and lectures where the curtains could remain closed, if it was used at all during the day.  Otherwise it was expected the flow would keep people coming out of a night performance in Stardust dissipated to Pulse or The Avenue for the final shift. Serenity’s Palm Court was designed to handle things like pre-dinner dancing, and the captain’s cocktail parties, which Symphony’s Starlite had normally managed (especially after the wall came down).  

The funny part is that I’ve talked about all the “improvements” from Harmony to Symphony that were undone from Symphony to Serenity, and the role of the Palm Court is one of those!  Harmony of course had a whole different setup since the Palm Court was split with the Vista Lounge, but the combined role was what they went back to with Serenity, using it for the same functions.

Vince

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

You nailed it, Keith!  The concept for the Palm Court on Serenity was a shift from the design of Symphony’s…. It was given a formal stage (prior to 2018) and a large dance floor expressly to give it the cabaret and music entertainment function that the Starliite serves on Symphony.  The Stardust’s location and interior orientation was designed for it to hold more night events and lectures where the curtains could remain closed, if it was used at all during the day.  Otherwise it was expected the flow would keep people coming out of a night performance in Stardust dissipated to Pulse or The Avenue for the final shift. Serenity’s Palm Court was designed to handle things like pre-dinner dancing, and the captain’s cocktail parties, which Symphony’s Starlite had normally managed (especially after the wall came down).  

The funny part is that I’ve talked about all the “improvements” from Harmony to Symphony that were undone from Symphony to Serenity, and the role of the Palm Court is one of those!  Harmony of course had a whole different setup since the Palm Court was split with the Vista Lounge, but the combined role was what they went back to with Serenity, using it for the same functions.

Vince

Once again - and it happens most days - I'm reminded of how little I know..🙄

2 hours ago, Noggins said:

Once again - and it happens most days - I'm reminded of how little I know..🙄

I didn’t mean the post to do anything like that…. 😞 But I’ve always thought it might be interesting sometime to have a thread about all of the unintended consequences of improvements at Crystal, including some of the “it seemed like a great idea at the time” design reversals that backtracked in the third (Serenity) iteration.  

Vince