Possible solution to reduce TV noise between cabins---Oceania management--PLEASE READ

zteamtwo

• 4 weeks later...

Current data point. We boarded Vista Friday and our next door neighbors seem to have their TV on all of the time when in their room and the sound comes right through  - much worse than anything that we have experienced previously. Luck of the draw for us. Why couldn't we get readers or nappers? Don't think they have the volume way up. 

Clearly no effort at addressing the issue during construction with whatever sound reduction materials would meet code.

Not sure we would gamble on Vista again despite how much we 

like everything else - it's that bad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 6:08 AM, CruisingWalter said:

Season 8 is now filming with Ashley Jensen stepping in as the new DI. 🙂

https://britishperioddramas.com/news/shetland-season-8-filming-scotland-2023-phyllis-logan/

Oh... sigh...

Without DI Jimmy Perez... 😲

He MADE the show.

Farewell, Douglas Henshall!

And we really did *not* enjoy Agatha Raisin (watched very little of it), so having that actress isn't a plus for us at all.

Thanks for the update anyway.

GC

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Croooser said:

Current data point. We boarded Vista Friday and our next door neighbors seem to have their TV on all of the time when in their room and the sound comes right through  - much worse than anything that we have experienced previously. Luck of the draw for us. Why couldn't we get readers or nappers? Don't think they have the volume way up. 

Clearly no effort at addressing the issue during construction with whatever sound reduction materials would meet code.

Are you in one of the connected cabins on Vista? You may try to talk to front desk about your issue.

How disappointing, Vista is a brand new, beautiful ship! I hope they will have fixed this issue with Allura.  We understand that we have to expect some noise from neighbors but given how bad it was for Croooser, we will avoid sailing on Vista (and probably Allura). 

If we use a white noise machine, then we won't be able to watch TV ourselves which is what we always do at bedtime to help us get sleepy.  But then again, we would be worried about watching TV at night as it would likely disturb our neighbors. 

But good grief, we want to sail on the new ships, and what a silly reason for us not too! This is not something that should be an issue on a brand new Oceania ship 😞

1 hour ago, Croooser said:

Drop them a note?  Explain and request they lower the volume.  Suggest they use tv close caption feature. Got ear plugs?  Buy ASAP if not.

Extended balcony. Not connecting. We let our neighbors know but they continue. 10:00 last night and 6:15 this morning and on all of the time when they are in. Just the way some folks are.

Noise cancelling headphones with white noise does block it out but mighty inconvenient.

• Like 2

Without needing to go back and read all the posts in this thread, could somebody remind me if this noise issue is primarily on the new build Vista? I avoid the new ships anyway because they are more expensive, and the older flotilla is good enough for me. 

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Without needing to go back and read all the posts in this thread, could somebody remind me if this noise issue is primarily on the new build Vista? I avoid the new ships anyway because they are more expensive, and the older flotilla is good enough for me. 

Seems to be a Vista issue, however, we were on Vista and did not experience any of it. Really comes down most likely if you have inconsiderate neighbors or not. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Did not have an issue  with neighbouring cabins on Vista  so maybe they were just quiet

Deck 7 B5   but the tenders were another story

Let me share a few thoughts.  We have sailed on Vista twice, actually just got off on 11/1. On the first cruise we were forward on Deck 11, we had no issues related to noise. As for TV noise, we have heard it on any of the ships. I do not believe it is an issue specifically of the ship but more related to the guests in the staterooms. We were traveling recently with a number of friends and most used hearing aids and often had to be reminded to turn down the volume by their non hearing aide wearing partner.  One HA wearer included a suggestion in their survey for Oceania to include Close Captioning on all TV’s in an effort to get guests to reduce the volume. An EXCELLENT suggestion.

I believe there can be noise issues in any room category and it makes no different how much you paid for the room. Some of the worst rooms for noise we ever had were PH-1’s. Even an Oceania Suite can be noisy. IMHO it is Location, Location, Location. 

Next I would say it goes back to the noise sensitivity of the guest. My DW absolutely lost it in 11065 on Riviera about 2 years ago due to the noise from the TC and Waves beginning about 3:00 a.m. Limited sleep for two nights sent her over the edge. Yes we complained and yes we were able to be moved to a different PH, far from the offending Aft location. 

Bottom line, we all process noise levels differently so definitely pay attention to your Location when you book and discuss your needs and issues with your TA or O Rep or even other experienced Oceania cruisers. You can really have a bad cruise experience with a noisy room. 
Good luck and pay attention to what is around you. 

Mauibabes

5 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

We were traveling recently with a number of friends and most used hearing aids and often had to be reminded to turn down the volume by their non hearing aide wearing partner.  One HA wearer included a suggestion in their survey for Oceania to include Close Captioning on all TV’s in an effort to get guests to reduce the volume. An EXCELLENT suggestion.

If people with Hearing aid had to have the tv volume up  then they need new hearing aids

My DH had to adjust the volume of his HA in  some of the dining venues as he was picking up too much of the  surrounding conversations

The TV's do have CC as discussed in another thread

• Like 1

The guest could not get CC on Vista for the 16 days. Maybe they did not know how to get it. Since it wasn’t me wearing the HA’s I can not answer how they used their aides or not.  Just sharing some experiences shared by others with me. 
Bottom line we want to see people have the best cruise experience possible, noisy or not, HA or not.

Mauibabes 

24 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

The guest could not get CC on Vista for the 16 days. Maybe they did not know how to get it.

See post  #21  then you can spread the word to those that need  CC on the TV

3 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Sorry about noise issue. Quick off topic question. Did you have 2 loungers on your extended balcony?

Thanks!

No loungers. Did not request. Brought a 16" folding step stool with us (Amazon). Chairs are comfortable for us with the stool.

HTJ

I know people that refuse to use CC. They want to listen to their tv show, not read it.

Some are just extremely rude and you have to deal with it. We once had an adjoining cabin where the people were up every morning 3:30-4:00 with the tv blaring. It took someone from guests services 30 minutes or so to come down, pound on the door, waking others up, to get them to turn it down. By then, you’re awake and probably not going back to sleep. Every morning!

These people are just like those that can’t walk 50 yards, but sign up for ship tours far beyond their capabilities. Just rude.

A question. When you see people hauling sound systems and speakers into their cabins to hook to the tv, what are your expectations as to what’s going to happen?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Croooser said:

No loungers. Did not request. Brought a 16" folding step stool with us (Amazon). Chairs are comfortable for us with the stool.

HTJ

A much better and lighter weight option is an inflatable footstool (Amazon.)  Some people take inflatable beach balls and inflate 3/4 to make a nice footstool.  Bring inside when not using.

Being very noise sensitive, I am not looking forward to a possible neighboring noise issue on the Vista.  I will be prepared to stick a note under the door, should there be a problem. 😉

31 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

A much better and lighter weight option is an inflatable footstool (Amazon.)  Some people take inflatable beach balls and inflate 3/4 to make a nice footstool.  Bring inside when not using. 

A much better option would be putting back the 2 loungers that are provided on Marina/Riviera B3 extended verandah cabins. We booked Vista A2 Concierge only for the extended verandah with loungers.  A 5 category upgrade and O can’t provide loungers? 
Fortunately due to a sale, only costing additional $400.  However, March 2025 Vista in A2 will be rebooked to B3 for $1,200 less.

Even picking a good location cabin holds no guarantee.  Noisy neighbors and staff parking food tray trolleys outside your cabin can really disturb your day never mind sleep.  these are especially disturbing when you politely request change.  I travel with ear plugs and hope for the best.  YouTube has videos galore on rude, disgusting and shocking passenger behaviors… Amusing except for when it happens to you.  

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 7:05 PM, janelledocb said:

How disappointing, Vista is a brand new, beautiful ship! I hope they will have fixed this issue with Allura.  We understand that we have to expect some noise from neighbors but given how bad it was for Croooser, we will avoid sailing on Vista (and probably Allura). 

If we use a white noise machine, then we won't be able to watch TV ourselves which is what we always do at bedtime to help us get sleepy.  But then again, we would be worried about watching TV at night as it would likely disturb our neighbors. 

But good grief, we want to sail on the new ships, and what a silly reason for us not too! This is not something that should be an issue on a brand new Oceania ship 😞

We are on Vista and have not very noisy neighbors, but still heard their TV one evening such that we slept with balcony door open to provide white noise of the ocean. We are cruising in  calm seas but super humid climate of Cent America. If it happens again I will likely use white noise app on my phone. Also conversations can be heard from neighboring cabin, although not distinct enough to actually hear what is being said. We have one more cruise booked on Vista and can only hope that we have quiet neighbors, as folks who talk loudly or play their TV late into the night could ruin a cruise IMHO. Will most likely avoid booking Vista again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:21 AM, PhD-iva said:

FWIW.  We experienced a TV noise problem from a non-connecting adjacent concierge veranda cabin on Insignia earlier this year.  Inconsiderate neighbors who won't admit to a hearing loss or otherwise insist on jacking up the volume aren't just a Vista phenomenon.  As others have noted, the mounting of the TV directly on the non-insulated wall only elevates the likelihood of this noise problem.