Port of Barcelona?

Redtravel

1 hour ago, Harters said:

In June , we were on Nautica from/to Barca. It docked both times at the World Trade Centre terminal. 

Define this more clearly please. We’re the stops for embarking and disembarking or merely port stops in transit.

As has been posted previously, the Northern dock, or World Trade Center dock, in Barcelona is closing later this month.  Leaving the only option the Southern dock.  I believe their capacity is either 7 or 10 berths (too lazy to look it up) meaning the port of Tarragona is going to becoming more prevalent in the future.  Cruise lines will be listing it as Barcelona (Tarragona), similar to what they do with Rome (Civitavecchia).

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Define this more clearly please. We’re the stops for embarking and disembarking or merely port stops in transit.

I thought that when I'd referred to the cruise being from and to Barca, with both dockings at the WRC, it was pretty implicit (few cruises having two separate stops at the same port, mid-cruise). But I'm happy to reconfirm these were for embarking and disembarking. 😀

• Haha 1

I’ve been reading about this as we are scheduled to sail from Barcelona in May. In a recent article, it stated that the docks being closed were the once’s used by the smaller cruise lines and were those within walking distance to town center. Those remaining open will require a shuttle, or ships will sail from Tarragona (approximately 1 hour from BCN). I asked our TA to confirm a couple months back what the plans were for Oceania, and she was given information that we would be sailing from BCN, not Tarragona. Do I believe this? I honestly do not know. That said,  I would very much like to know the answer.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I’ve been reading about this as we are scheduled to sail from Barcelona in May. In a recent article, it stated that the docks being closed were the once’s used by the smaller cruise lines and were those within walking distance to town center. Those remaining open will require a shuttle, or ships will sail from Tarragona (approximately 1 hour from BCN). I asked our TA to confirm a couple months back what the plans were for Oceania, and she was given information that we would be sailing from BCN, not Tarragona. Do I believe this? I honestly do not know. That said,  I would very much like to know the answer.  

CruiseMapper is somewhat unreliable, but you may want to check out the port schedule here: https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/barcelona-port-82?month=2024-05#schedule 

It shows several sailings from Barcelona for Marina and Sirena.

Apologies if you've done so ... 🍺🥌

On 10/7/2023 at 12:00 AM, Vineyard View said:

Hope that we don’t sail from Tarragona.  If so, it would be a real inconvenience.  We will be staying in Barcelona prior to our May cruise.

I don't see anything on the cruisemapper site (or any other site that I can find) indicating which of the Barcelona docks/ports will be used by any given ship on any given date.  Only that it will be Barcelona.  Am I missing something?

Please keep us posted on any updates. 

For those wanting to spend time in Barcelona it’s a trek to Tarragona. It’s possible to take trains, but it’s not a straight shot by any means. 
We have been to Barcelona several times, so we would likely just book a place in Tarragona for 1-2 nights. From the airport there are no direct trains either,  so private car looks to be the best bet.  
Neither option is very convenient, but we have no control over how this rolls

I too am departing from Barcelona on the post refurb cruise on Marina 🤞May 2024, I have posted previously about this very topic as UK TA's were giving conflicting information regarding departure port. I did my research and confirmed with my personal O agent that it was definitely Barcelona, if it was Barcelona (Taragona) it would read like that on invoice and information. The likelihood of a change happening for operational reasons is still possible but nothing is 100% certain with travel.

I checked with our TA as well. She confirmed with O that it is Barcelona. I am hoping that remains correct, but I also wonder how fluid this situation is going to be with these major changes. The port area being shut down is the one that catered to the smaller ships.
People were caught off guard last year when Viking docked in Tarragona. I do no know the details around that, but I do remember that it was unexpected to them. It certainly could have been lack of communication from VO. 

While I cannot speak to “O” we are very familiar with the port.  The main cruise terminals (there are 5) are located at Moll Adoasat which is a little more than a mile walk from the Ramblas.  Most lines have some kind of shuttle service and there is also a public bus that stops right across from the terminals.

I assume that O will use that normal cruise facility as long as there is an available berth.  There has been talk, for years, about closing the smaller facility used by some of the small ship, so this is not a shock.

Hank

• Like 2