Live Carnival Radiance 4 day menus,photos

Buffettfan 225

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Buffettfan 225! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Upon return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Buffettfan 225 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

This is Radiance 4-day cruises now that can drive to a pier.

I will try to answer anyone’s questions when I pick up a signal. 

Being platinum we were supposed to check in 16 days prior, but could not get software to checkin due to website issues. So checked in 14th day and earliest choice boarding time 10-10:30.

For those driving we arrived at 10:05-if you are NOT checking luggage, turn left at stop sign, and structure will be on your right. Drive a bit straight and entrance gate on right. After you enter take an immediate right. Take a quick right as spots there are awesome when available, along with the up ramp. If possible back into spot as easier to pull out at end of cruise. Parking rate $23/day. Will post if it changes.

Security x-ray check, we use standard carryons. Brought sealed coke 12 pack and three cans root beer. Sailed thru security never opened bags. Next stop small line as a narcotic dog stands there as you pass. Passed again. 

Boarded record start time. 

- no weddings.

Boarded Diamond, seconds later suite, & platinum at 10:42. On board at 10:51 from indoors to Blue Iguana. 

First wrong ship “airship Goodyear” on drive in. 

First tail sighting outside- amidst morning marine layer. 

First indoor whale tail tail: 

IMG_2441.jpeg

IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_2463.jpeg

• Like 4

MDR day one dinner few photos 

- Noticed menu no longer posts breads served. No choice tonight just one type and hard butter. I did ask about cranberry rolls as know was always day one. Waitress did appear later with a few warm cranberry rolls. 

I am cautious of items due to migraines, lactose. 

Asked head chef during lunch in lido area question about few items- he said no msg on board- then thought oh our breedings have seasoning especially shrimp have it. I pointed out premade ranch dressing he said oh good to know and agreed. 

I asked about heavy cream (I take lactaid tablets but cream is just too heavy.) The tomato soup has cream in it. 

items ordered to first night:

I thought I would just try the pappardelle braised lamb- was acceptable, but very tomato saucy, heavy noodles and small chunks lamb meat. My size was app- I did see main at another table and huge bowl with bigger chunks. I’d give it a 7/10 if like pasta & sauce. 

I ordered the fruit plate (from dessert menu) and a sorbet (pineapple, lime or orange) I believe it is sherbet not sorbet. 

The little bread plates enjoy seeing which  cities we get. 

IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_2557.jpeg

IMG_2558.jpeg

IMG_2559.jpeg

• Like 5

Szechuan shrimp entree- 

I am not a spicy fan whatsoever. DH ordered. I loved the noodles- no spice, just a nice wok cooked flavor to them. I did try a shrimp w/out breading. More of a warm feeling. My DH said spice level 4/10, and overall dish a winner 8/10. 

He also had braised beef- like a pot roast 8/10.

Dinner slow first night our hub opened request at 5:12 and had table assigned 5:15. We finished at 7pm! 

From there went to deck 5 Effy shop to get third free “lifesaver” necklace bead. It really was a raffle and talk about Effy at 6:40 but at 7 had not given away the free green lifesaver yet. I will post photo later. Kind of a whole cruise thing to get all seven colors. 

Went to lido to see how the entrees compared. next post. 

IMG_2562.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2563.jpeg

• Like 5

Gorgeous sun breaking through at Avalon. Went up for breakfast at 8:30- not a table to be found without looking hard. Decided to try Blue Igusna after six cruises- I loved the Arepas. Looks like a half sandwich of grilled cheese but tasted like a sweet cornbread. Also heavirsncheeos- easy way to get two over easy eggs by taking off the top.

Needed to get ice to put in water bottles. All lido stations were empty, went back by Chicken Shaq- plenty ice and beverage station had all juices. Also had yogurt,cereal,milk where the shaq sauces usually are. May sit in this area tomorrow. 

priority water shuttle hours 8-10 meeting in Sunrise dining room to go to Avalon. 

No priority back. We have done golf cart there before (highly recommend)

and if forgot something, or craving a salty snack, beverage there is a Vons food market a few blocks in. For kids there is a mini golf nearby also. Also a Leo’s pharmacy all on same street. 

FYI for those renting golf carts get off asap as one by pier is walk ups only and if come later have to wait for a cart to return. The rental place further down at 8:50 was in past online reservation only. had a fifty plus person line, not sure why unless they went to walk ups too. 

FYI Catalina has a high yellow jacket 

population all over if allergic bring epi pen. There are even a few flying on water shuttle. 

IMG_2585.jpeg

IMG_2589.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

Gorgeous sun breaking through at Avalon. Went up for breakfast at 8:30- not a table to be found without looking hard. Decided to try Blue Igusna after six cruises- I loved the Arepas. Looks like a half sandwich of grilled cheese but tasted like a sweet cornbread. Also heavirsncheeos- easy way to get two over easy eggs by taking off the top.

Needed to get ice to put in water bottles. All lido stations were empty, went back by Chicken Shaq- plenty ice and beverage station had all juices. Also had yogurt,cereal,milk where the shaq sauces usually are. May sit in this area tomorrow. 

priority water shuttle hours 8-10 meeting in Sunrise dining room to go to Avalon. 

No priority back. We have done golf cart there before (highly recommend)

and if forgot something, or craving a salty snack, beverage there is a Vons food market a few blocks in. For kids there is a mini golf nearby also. Also a Leo’s pharmacy all on same street. 

FYI for those renting golf carts get off asap as one by pier is walk ups only and if come later have to wait for a cart to return. The rental place further down at 8:50 was in past online reservation only. had a fifty plus person line, not sure why unless they went to walk ups too. 

FYI Catalina has a high yellow jacket 

population all over if allergic bring epi pen. There are even a few flying on water shuttle. 

IMG_2585.jpeg

IMG_2589.jpeg

I am not doubting your claim about yellowjackets on Catalina, but those appear to be bees in your picture, not yellowjackets. Bees are not agressive and tend to leave you alone. Yellowjackets, however, are much more aggressive.

I grew up on a farm (and still live on a semi-"farm") and we had several bee apiaries around the farm. Yellow jackets, wasps and hornets are completely different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stobe1 said:

I am not doubting your claim about yellowjackets on Catalina, but those appear to be bees in your picture, not yellowjackets. Bees are not agressive and tend to leave you alone. Yellowjackets, however, are much more aggressive.

I grew up on a farm (and still live on a semi-"farm") and we had several bee apiaries around the farm. Yellow jackets, wasps and hornets are completely different.

You have the credibility on bees. They just had lots of signs about yellow jackets in shopping areas, and labeled yellow jacket traps hanging around. I just thought pretty flower pic. If they were bees- they came back on water shuttle and were in back area by chicken and ice cream going at everyone’s lemonades on back by pool. 

1 minute ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

You have the credibility on bees. They just had lots of signs about yellow jackets in shopping areas, and labeled yellow jacket traps hanging around. I just thought pretty flower pic. If they were bees- they came back on water shuttle and were in back area by chicken and ice cream going at everyone’s lemonades on back by pool. 

Just now, Buffettfan 225 said:

MDR anytime has started seating at 5:15 all nights. 

Tues night menus 

tried the new cordon blue -hard to cut without steak knife- flavors good, 6/10.

DH had prime rib MR and seemed excellent 9/10. The jumbo shrimp are an 8, fish cake a 6/10. 

IMG_2599.png

IMG_2598.png

IMG_2623.jpeg

IMG_2624.jpeg

• Like 5

Enjoying your report.  Two questions.  Does the seafood place in the buffet become an asian buffet at lunchtime like on some other ships?  And as for golf cart rentals, I looked on line and only found a place that is about a 15 minute walk from the cruise pier.  Are you saying there are rental companies at the pier or much closer? 

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Enjoying your report.  Two questions.  Does the seafood place in the buffet become an asian buffet at lunchtime like on some other ships?  And as for golf cart rentals, I looked on line and only found a place that is about a 15 minute walk from the cruise pier.  Are you saying there are rental companies at the pier or much closer? 

no, seafood shack does not become asian buffet. 
there are multiple golf cart rentals in the harbor area, some very close to the cruise pier. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

oh yes. The first one is about three hundred yards from where water shuttle co

es in. Walk across road and hustle down to your right. If I recall cash only, and refund anything over an hour in 15min increments. It used to be $60/hr sorry did t see if raised prices. Cart is two bench type. They provide a highlited map. To save click time the second time we rented we skipped the uphill ride to Wrigley gardens as it is just an up and back (if not doing gardens). Be sure to park and check out golf clubhouse- they have two small restrooms, but interested historic pictures and old locker/bar area of first training camp of the Cubs. Also nice stop for a quick soda,water. The history of golf on island is also interesting.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Sorry missed food question- n this ship saw no seafood area (other than the paid window) and nothing changed to asian. My buffet photos try to catch entire buffet. We had a lot of families that took 4-5 tables and yelling to talk between them, also ignorant that their kids are in aisle where table attendants need to get thru. We found serenity to eat back by chicken shaq and back pool, plus is not a/c cold (evening it is colder in the lido area.) 

• Like 2

New promotion or as I say sales pitch get a freebie. Most times of Effy diamond pitch we have been at dinner, but he nicely gives us one later. 7 colors to collect all 4 day cruise. I am borrowing an ebay photo to show. The orange is an early one we had to ask for. Second one effy guy standing with a basket by Sushi table area about 3pm. 

Have not seen any hidden ducks but haven’t looked either. I did bring six to give to kids as I see them. Like at dinner table next to us two and four year old thrilled. 

Ensenada today was also towel animal invasion around pool. 

IMG_2639.jpeg

IMG_9112.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

• Like 3

Build a bear today on ship at 4pm today Wed Ensenada day reservation required. 

Side note breakfast dry cereal - if you are looking for lucky charms bs fruit loops they may be at back pool bs lido area I noted machine fillips vary. 

Tonights menu : (commentary why are some nights multiple great entree choices, and another night meh. ? ) All food is great of course, but that is my opinion. I have been ordering fruit plate as an appetizer without any problem, just be clear. 

I may have a free signal later from Ensenada and post lunch buffet, not sure in dinner but will follow up. 

If looking any activities I can check the hub ask and answer. 

IMG_2643.png

IMG_2642.png

IMG_2641.png

IMG_2640.png

• Like 4