Port change for 10/29 Barcelona departure

cantgetin

SOME sailors received this email this morning.  No explanation as to why it wasn't sent to all of us.  This was long suspected based on news reports, but until today, VV was insisting that we would still be using the WTC terminal.  

What does this mean?  Flat taxi fee from BCN airport to cruise terminal.  40 minute talk from Columbus circle to cruise terminal rather than 5-8 minutes (don't even try walking with luggage).  3 Euro government fee for taxis entering the area.  No place to "hang out" if you arrive early (WTC area had a nice plaza, a coffee shop, and many places within easy walking distance.

The VV app is still showing that we will be using the WTC terminal, but I'm guessing that the app has just not been updated yet.

Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 10.33.51 AM.png

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

We sailed on Valiant Lady two weeks ago and got an app notification the day before stating the ship was leaving from cruise terminal A. The email still stated World Trade Center so at least they’ve improved that as it was a bit confusing the email said one thing and the notification said another. No idea why they’ve had to change but it seems they’ve been using the cruise port for a few weeks now.

There is a small cafe and a duty free shop inside the terminal but it’s after security checks and I’m not sure how VV are managing the time slots as we have DBE so went straight through the priority line anyway. I think they were allowing everyone to drop luggage and go through security regardless of the arrival time selected and then there was people sat waiting near check in.

taxi from cruise terminal A to the airport was flat fee of €39.

1 hour ago, jon81uk said:

We sailed on Valiant Lady two weeks ago and got an app notification the day before stating the ship was leaving from cruise terminal A. The email still stated World Trade Center so at least they’ve improved that as it was a bit confusing the email said one thing and the notification said another. No idea why they’ve had to change but it seems they’ve been using the cruise port for a few weeks now.

There is a small cafe and a duty free shop inside the terminal but it’s after security checks and I’m not sure how VV are managing the time slots as we have DBE so went straight through the priority line anyway. I think they were allowing everyone to drop luggage and go through security regardless of the arrival time selected and then there was people sat waiting near check in.

taxi from cruise terminal A to the airport was flat fee of €39.

Thank you for the update--it is very helpful.
The reason for the change is supposedly to reduce air pollution in the city; the changes have been underway for years, but the final announcement of the October date came a few months ago (from the government).

Yes, that taxi is a from airport to Moll cruise port is a flat fee that includes all the fees.  A taxi from a hotel or elsewhere has a 3.10 Euro charge added by the government.  Taxis to the airport have a similar charge.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Freelancer3 said:

Its not that far of a drive change. Its less than 5 minutes difference between WTC and Terminal A.

The main difference is it’s not easily walkable from the city to the cruise terminal, but it is to WTC.

• Like 1

THe difference is that it really is not walkable, which makes it difficult to drop luggage and go elsewhere for a while after hotel check out.  There is no place near the terminal area to "hang out" if you do drop luggage early. Since VV now lists terminal arrival as 2pm and we can't arrive officially before 1:30, it becomes complicated as most hotels will not allow late check out and those that do typically charge for it.  There are some shuttles that run between the terminals and the WTC area, so you could leave the area and return without much difficulty provided you are able bodied and can climb the steps into the shuttle.

The issue in my mind is less that VV was required by the authorities to use a different terminal.  It is that Shoreside Sailor Services has been denying this for  months despite the print and on line data insisting that it was happening.  This may well have altered hotel choices, etc. for cruisers and the confusion continues as to what to tell taxi drivers, etc.  If you are not involved in the online chats, the info from Virgin is still a mess.  The app says one thing, the email received by SOME sailors says something else.  How difficult is it to hit one button on a computer and send the information to each person booked on a given cruise?   I guess the "solution" may be that people can see where the ship is when they get to the area.  I know that my frustration is in part because this is not the first time I've received inaccurate info from VV. Fortunately, then, as now, the internet had the correct info,

I'm receiving almost daily emails from VV about issues like "do you know where your passport is?" but nothing about this issue.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

Just now, cantgetin said:

THe difference is that it really is not walkable, which makes it difficult to drop luggage and go elsewhere for a while after hotel check out.  There is no place near the terminal area to "hang out" if you do drop luggage early. Since VV now lists terminal arrival as 2pm and we can't arrive officially before 1:30, it becomes complicated as most hotels will not allow late check out and those that do typically charge for it.

If you just need luggage storage and not late checkout there is no charge. Every time we’ve been in Barcelona we just took our bags to the front desk around 9 or 10am (after breakfast) and they held them. We went for a wander then got back to the hotel at 1pm to collect bags and get a taxi to the port.

Unlike the USA you don’t even need to tip, no charge to store bags at most hotels.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, steve thfc said:

You should still tip a euro per bag unless it's a small hotel without porters/ bellman 

Both small and medium size hotels I’ve stayed at in Europe generally didn’t have porters and we just went to the front desk for help with baggage, there was no expectation of a tip. We are British and there we don’t go in wanting to tip, but in twenty years or travelling in Europe I’ve never felt like we needed to tip in a hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our last hotel stay in Barcelona (just an overnight before the cruise) we were offered luggage storage in their locked area when we checked it.  This allowed us to just take our carry ons to the room and reclaim our bags when we were checking out.  The hotel arranged a taxi to the port at our request and the cost was less than what the on line reports said it would be!  No one acted like a tip was expected.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 2:44 PM, cantgetin said:

On our last hotel stay in Barcelona (just an overnight before the cruise) we were offered luggage storage in their locked area when we checked it.  This allowed us to just take our carry ons to the room and reclaim our bags when we were checking out.  The hotel arranged a taxi to the port at our request and the cost was less than what the on line reports said it would be!  No one acted like a tip was expected.  

Cantgetin- I believe you and I are staying at the same hotel prior to the TA…Melia (airport)?  Would love to share a cab to the port if you all have room? (I’m traveling solo this time).

3 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Also, does anyone know how tipping works with porters at Barcelona embarkation?  Similar to US?  I know we embarked in Southampton once and the porter shrugged off my tip so I like to be prepared either way.

In Barcelona on our last 2 VV embarkations, there was no tipping expected.  We will be at a different terminal this time, but I don't know why that would matter,  At the WTC terminal, there were 2 places to check luggage--with a porter as you pulled up or with a person in VV attire at a VV desk.  It didn't seem to matter which was chosen.  Typical Europe--no tipping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Also, does anyone know how tipping works with porters at Barcelona embarkation?  Similar to US?  I know we embarked in Southampton once and the porter shrugged off my tip so I like to be prepared either way.

So now I need to figure out how we can talk in person as CC makes that impossible.  We are arriving in BCN at 6pm the night before the cruise and will take the complimentary shuttle to Melia.  I'm fine with sharing a taxi IF we can fit everything.  I think, between the two of us, we will have 3 medium cases and 2 carry ons, as well as a rollator (like a walker....collapses, not usually a problem).  We've encountered 2 different taxi sizes in BCN, so as long as we get the larger one, it should be no issue to add you and a couple more bags.  We don't have any amazing plans for cruise morning--will hang out in the hotel lobby for a while after check out as it makes no sense to arrive at the port before 1:30 (with 2:00 "terminal arrival time."  In the past, when we've arrived early, we just had to wait.  Again, I'm not fully sure how the check in at the new terminal will work. BCN was a little different that Miami, but both were easy.  We actually preferred Barcelona.

I guess where I'd be with sharing a cab is to figure that we will; worst case, we can't all fit with our stuff (this has never happened...we are good as making it work), you'd be on your own...and no worse off than if we hadn't planned to share.  Getting a taxi at Melia is easy--they are basically right off the drive just waiting for the desk to call one over.  It is a nice place to stay--not fancy, but totally adequate with decent internet.  We miss the pizza delivery since the new management took over, but no worries...you just have to meet the delivery person in the lobby now.

We are easy to identify...mother and daughter with WAY too much luggage  (kidding...my daughter needs a "medical bag" as well as one for clothes, etc) and a bright blue rollator.  I'd love to try giving you my email, but I think that would land me in CC jail.  Are you on the FB group for our cruise (there are at least 2 of them)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

So now I need to figure out how we can talk in person as CC makes that impossible.  We are arriving in BCN at 6pm the night before the cruise and will take the complimentary shuttle to Melia.  I'm fine with sharing a taxi IF we can fit everything.  I think, between the two of us, we will have 3 medium cases and 2 carry ons, as well as a rollator (like a walker....collapses, not usually a problem).  We've encountered 2 different taxi sizes in BCN, so as long as we get the larger one, it should be no issue to add you and a couple more bags.  We don't have any amazing plans for cruise morning--will hang out in the hotel lobby for a while after check out as it makes no sense to arrive at the port before 1:30 (with 2:00 "terminal arrival time."  In the past, when we've arrived early, we just had to wait.  Again, I'm not fully sure how the check in at the new terminal will work. BCN was a little different that Miami, but both were easy.  We actually preferred Barcelona.

I guess where I'd be with sharing a cab is to figure that we will; worst case, we can't all fit with our stuff (this has never happened...we are good as making it work), you'd be on your own...and no worse off than if we hadn't planned to share.  Getting a taxi at Melia is easy--they are basically right off the drive just waiting for the desk to call one over.  It is a nice place to stay--not fancy, but totally adequate with decent internet.  We miss the pizza delivery since the new management took over, but no worries...you just have to meet the delivery person in the lobby now.

We are easy to identify...mother and daughter with WAY too much luggage  (kidding...my daughter needs a "medical bag" as well as one for clothes, etc) and a bright blue rollator.  I'd love to try giving you my email, but I think that would land me in CC jail.  Are you on the FB group for our cruise (there are at least 2 of them)?

Yes, I am on the FB group (both I think) ….same profile….I am scheduled to arrive late in the afternoon on Sat and have no plans for the morning either…I also have DBE and a 1:45 check in time so I had planned to hang in the lobby till it was time to call a Uber or cab.  I will be on the lookout for you two and hopefully it will all work out.  Really looking forward to this sailing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Yes, I am on the FB group (both I think) ….same profile….I am scheduled to arrive late in the afternoon on Sat and have no plans for the morning either…I also have DBE and a 1:45 check in time so I had planned to hang in the lobby till it was time to call a Uber or cab.  I will be on the lookout for you two and hopefully it will all work out.  Really looking forward to this sailing.

sounds like a plan...our only thing is to recover from West Coast jet lag...sleep in and head to port.  Interesting that you got 1:45...we were told that 2 was earliest (we have DBE as well)...but TA said to show up at 1.....that's what it used to be, but again, VV claims to have moved the earliest from 1:30 to 2.  Who knows?  We'll wait at the hotel or wait at the terminal...doesn't matter.  DBE means that you automatically move to the earliest time, regardless of what your time on the app is IF the check in people do ti right. The girl at the Sailor's Club desk argued with us at Miami claiming that only my daughter had DBE (I also have the email!), so she would only give her a bracelet....then we got to check in and that person wanted to know why only she had a bracelet...and quickly fixed it.  Check in at Miami has been a zoo....barcelona much better.

I'm going to post on the FB group....if you get it, pm me

Edited by cantgetin

7 hours ago, chefchick said:

No tip is expected. When we arrived at cruise terminal A three weeks ago you queued for a counter outside, showed your passport and they check if you are eligible for DBE or Splash of romance and looked up your cabin number. They issued wristbands if you do have expedited boarding and tagged the bags. Then you go inside and do hand luggage security before going to check in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 8:09 AM, jon81uk said:

No tip is expected. When we arrived at cruise terminal A three weeks ago you queued for a counter outside, showed your passport and they check if you are eligible for DBE or Splash of romance and looked up your cabin number. They issued wristbands if you do have expedited boarding and tagged the bags. Then you go inside and do hand luggage security before going to check in.

Early Sep you could drop the bagage and get your wristband as DBE but they didn't let you inside. Really hope it has changed!

3 hours ago, sollan said:

Early Sep you could drop the bagage and get your wristband as DBE but they didn't let you inside. Really hope it has changed!

We checked in around 2pm in late September and could go straight inside. What time did you try?

Be happy you're still in Barcelona. Those sailing in the summer and beyond 2024 should start expecting that new port to come into play. The one that's an hour drive away from Barcelona.

Once that is completed I fully expect Barcelona to close their port to all cruise ships above a certain size, probably above 80,000GT, and move all the traffic to that new port.

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

Be happy you're still in Barcelona. Those sailing in the summer and beyond 2024 should start expecting that new port to come into play. The one that's an hour drive away from Barcelona.

Once that is completed I fully expect Barcelona to close their port to all cruise ships above a certain size, probably above 80,000GT, and move all the traffic to that new port.

I've never sailed outside of N/Central America, but I will be on a VV cruise that disembarks in Barcelona next fall. All the media I can find about the evolution of the Barcelona cruise ports (including stuff from the last two weeks) says stuff like this:

(CNN)

"By 2026, all cruise operations will operate from the Adossat wharf."

(Lonely Planet)

" ... Instead, passengers will alight at the newer Moll d’Adossat terminal at the south end of the city (near Montjuïc), then hop on a 30-minute bus transfer to reach the center."

I can't find much about the Tarragona Cruise Port (the distant one) other than a press release about its construction status. 

Edited by AlyssaJames