Forward or Aft Suite on an Alaskan Cruise

kchamp27

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

While I have never sailed in a suite (only up to mini-suite) NOR even an aft balcony, many on CC rave about them, including our professional photographer, @Crew News. Specifically for Alaska! This would be a balcony that looks out over the wake, not just a suite somewhat aft on the deck plan.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kchamp27 said:

Splurging for a suite on our 1st Alaskan cruise for our 30th. For Alaska (we are doing southbound one way if that matters) is there a recommendation on a Forward or Aft Suite?  Thanks!

Any stateroom facing aft will be ideal for Alaska. if you want to take photos as you can see both sides of the ship.  Deck 5 on Vista-class ships are fully covered which means you can take photos and enjoy the view even in the rain. Aft corner Neptune Suites can hold 40 of your friends for a balcony party.  Aft staterooms have no wind which allows you to enjoy your balcony even when the ship is moving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

While I have never sailed in a suite (only up to mini-suite) NOR even an aft balcony, many on CC rave about them, including our professional photographer, @Crew News. Specifically for Alaska! This would be a balcony that looks out over the wake, not just a suite somewhat aft on the deck plan.

Thanks for the compliment.  I am just a hobby photographer who did sell a modeling portfolio of two kids for $35 in 1986.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/12/2023 at 2:34 PM, Crew News said:

Any stateroom facing aft will be ideal for Alaska. if you want to take photos as you can see both sides of the ship.  Deck 5 on Vista-class ships are fully covered which means you can take photos and enjoy the view even in the rain. Aft corner Neptune Suites can hold 40 of your friends for a balcony party.  Aft staterooms have no wind which allows you to enjoy your balcony even when the ship is moving.

We are sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam & noticed Deck 4 aft cabins are priced higher than deck 7.  Can you explain why?  I was alway under the impression that higher decks were better, as long as not right under the pool

15 minutes ago, maggiev said:

We are sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam & noticed Deck 4 aft cabins are priced higher than deck 7.  Can you explain why?  I was always under the impression that higher decks were better, as long as not right under the pool

That was always my assumption.  Pricing staterooms should be based on desirability and I can only guess why Deck 4 is more desirable than Deck 7 in the eyes of the HAL Sales/Accounting folks.  Factors could be that when the ship is rolling from side to side in heavy seas, or strong winds, the lean will be felt less on Deck 4. Perhaps being closer to the MDR makes the Deck 4 aft staterooms more valuable.  On the other hand, Deck 4 is farther from the pools and Lido Market. 

FWIW my experience is that the Deck 7 aft staterooms are approximately three feet longer than those on Deck 5.  I noticed this by comparing the distance from the bathroom-side nightstand to the wall.  I could open my suitcase beside my bed on Deck 7 and not on Deck 5.

On 1/24/2024 at 6:41 PM, maggiev said:

We are sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam & noticed Deck 4 aft cabins are priced higher than deck 7.  Can you explain why?  I was alway under the impression that higher decks were better, as long as not right under the pool

If you're looking at the side aft rather than true aft (wake view),  deck 4 is priced higher because the balconies are deeper than on 7.

20240128_215958.thumb.jpg.e33521c9f0dd5da378237246d42a2793.jpg

20240128_220123.thumb.jpg.1c3845f2f1ab50244da14edbd37b09ea.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched a video on YouTube about this ship that indicated that the deck 4 balconies are larger than elsewhere on the ship.

We are heading out on the May 19th Alaska cruise and have been binge watching as much info as we can find.

22 hours ago, OceanFishingFan said:

I just watched a video on YouTube about this ship that indicated that the deck 4 balconies are larger than elsewhere on the ship.

We are heading out on the May 19th Alaska cruise and have been binge watching as much info as we can find.

Good job! Also welcome to Cruise Critic! Happy you found your Roll Call although my experience is that AK rolls are often not too active...

On Holland America ships (esp to Alaska), a true-aft expands your options as much as 100% -- because you can get the forward 180-degrees in the Crows Nest on Observation Deck. It will be a walk from the aft, but for scheduled things like coming into port, you can head that way!

We had an aft suite in Alaska on both Holland and Princess and an aft balcony on Celebrity. At the glaciers the captain will slowly rotate the ship so all balconies have a view. Watching the glacier get smaller and smaller as you are leaving from the aft is a special treat. Although I enjoyed having an ocean view room once in the front of the ship I wouldn’t want a balcony in the front of the ship. Way too windy.