NCL EPIC Sept 6-16 2024 Greek Isles and Italy out of Rome

HawkSaddle7

Looking for input on this cruise.  Has been awhile since cruised  on NCL.  Understand one of the best times to go to Italy and Greece and looks like a great itinerary but not see good things about the ship "EPIC".  What are your thoughts?

If you're looking for thoughts on the Epic, this board has TONS of them. Some people hate it...some love it...some in-between. Probably better off doing a search.

However, we had booked this same cruise with friends who have never cruised before. We ended up canceling and booking another cruise...not solely because of the Epic...but it was a factor. Didn't want their first impression of cruising to be the funky Epic bathroom set-up.

We ended up booking the Escape, which happens to be one of our two favorite NCL ships. Plus, this Escape cruise has an overnight in Tuscany, which is the place they most wanted to see.

We were on the EPIC in Sept 2019.  Our itinerary didn't include Greek Isles but it was a great itinerary and great cruise.  I talked my brother and SIL into joining us;  their first cruise.  We all had a great time, LOVED the Epic and everything about it ; great food, entertainment, ports.  We even liked the bathroom set up.  It made getting ready in the mornings so much easier and we needed every minute given the busy itinerary.  The 4 of us had zero complaints.

There's a place near the top of this page where you can pull up past threads on a specific ship. It says, " SEE POSTS ABOUT ". Select Epic.

There's a LIVE report from the Epic going on right now, but it's not very informative. Just a lot of fan-girl comments.   Maybe the next sailing will have a LIVE report and will provide helpful information.

The 'different' bathroom set up seems to bother a lot of people. As I said, we liked the setup.  If I was sharing the cabin with someone I didn't know well, I'd feel differently but I was with my cousin who I travel with frequently.  Good luck with your research ! 

p.s. as you look at other ships and other itineraries, be very mindful of port times. Look for long port times so you have time to see and do everything you have planned.

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

If you're looking for thoughts on the Epic, this board has TONS of them. Some people hate it...some love it...some in-between. Probably better off doing a search.

However, we had booked this same cruise with friends who have never cruised before. We ended up canceling and booking another cruise...not solely because of the Epic...but it was a factor. Didn't want their first impression of cruising to be the funky Epic bathroom set-up.

We ended up booking the Escape, which happens to be one of our two favorite NCL ships. Plus, this Escape cruise has an overnight in Tuscany, which is the place they most wanted to see.

We are on that Bar>Bar Escape cruise next September.  I have never been on Escape and it looks fabulous.  Had a Bar>Rome also booked with Royal Caribbean but the overnight in Tuscay won me over.  Now I will make myself crazy about what to do those two days.  Too many choices!

Edited by firstimer2009
typo

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.  I am really struggling with a lot of people saying outdated and in poor condition.  Also hearing that you have long waits to be seated for dinner and 30 min+ too get a drink just about anywhere.  Also, researching if any nightlife.  Mainly good bands/music in eve and maybe dance some.

Main thing is condition of ship, crowds and nightlife 

Thanks for your feedback.  Good to hear on the nightlife. That is our concern as we are seeing more negative about EPIC but love our itinerary.  
also hearing ship is in bad shape. Thoughts?  
way to crowded for eating and getting a drink at bat?   Thoughts?

Between NCL Epic and Celebrity Constellation (no nightlife but nicer)  Been on both Norwegian a Celebrity but not since Covid. 
I need to decide.  

• 2 months later...

Based on your comparison with Celebrity and RCCL, it is most definitely not the same.   The bathroom situation is awful, but depending on what type cabin you get, it may not matter.  The Haven suites were refurbished recently and I don't they have the split bath issue.  My problem wasn't that - it was that the frosted glass at the doorway was not as private as one might like especially if someone opens the cabin door.  Do you go for itinerary or for the cosmetics and layout of the ship?   I have found after 45 some cruises, that the itinerary is what is important and the busier the itinerary, the less time you are on the ship.   Do what makes sense to you.   The Epic is a nice ship but not as posh as Celebrity and the newer huge ships of RCCL.   We are actually cruising her again in April for the TA and it will be just awesome disconnecting...

Thanks for your comments.  Most I have heard is needs updated (refurb sched in 25). U agree about the itinerary which is why we booked. More concern with people saying hard to get a drink, shows and eating due to crowds. Will prob do our own excursions as seem to be better.  We are also going on Prima in March so that will be a lot newer but always hear mixed reviews about everything.  

13 hours ago, HawkSaddle7 said:

Thanks for your comments.  Most I have heard is needs updated (refurb sched in 25). U agree about the itinerary which is why we booked. More concern with people saying hard to get a drink, shows and eating due to crowds. Will prob do our own excursions as seem to be better.  We are also going on Prima in March so that will be a lot newer but always hear mixed reviews about everything.  

Just did a 16 day TA in December, 2023 on the Epic. Bathroom situation not a problem. Not great, but not bad. No problem ever getting a drink. Dining was no problem, especially if you timed it right. Never waited more than 15 minutes. 

Overall, I’ve had better and I’ve had worse. But even the worst was great!! 

We just sailed on the Epic last August. We picked it for the itinerary, not the ship. It was 9 days in Italy, Spain and France. We stopped 8 of the 9 days so we did spend a lot of time off the shop. We were 4 adults and 4 kids and we all had an amazing time. Were there issues with the ship, yes but there were lots of positives too and we didn’t let little things bother us.

I belong to the camp that didn’t mind the bathroom set up. My spouse didn’t like it. The four kids shared a cabin and it worked out really well for them.

There was definitely night life. We saw the dueling pianos multiple times and the Glow party was so fun. I also recall there being an ABBA deck party. 

The pools aren’t great. The slides are super fun.

We often waited at the bar for drinks, especially on the pool deck. Until we started ordering two drinks each at a time LOL. Get the Frosé, it’s soooooooo good.

The MDR food was ok and the service was just ok too. It was sometimes very slow and we were eating at 8 or 9 pm every night so maybe they were short staffed? We ate at O’Sheehans a lot and Shanghai was really good.

We booked most excursions on our own. Saved ALOT of $$.

• 2 weeks later...