How is SimplyMore?

Redtravel

With the number of 30 day cruises my husband & I have taken we have spent more than most on O

and the management crew acknowledge this every time we do cruise. We have spent more than 365 days on board in total and are happy to buy services. I may be 72 and retired but hopefully have years left to travel and enjoy on board. More probably in the future as we may have to sell our own yacht in a couple of years.

I do not consider myself a low revenue client. Also always deal direct with O and usually take their air

which has in my case been very satisfactory.

• Thanks 1

O wants to make money.  Simply more achieves this if bookings don’t go down.  If bookings stay up, the SM is a winner. However, if bookings decline, they may reconsider how SM works. It should take about 1-2 years to fully see the affects. The risk in changing to a new concept is losing passengers. Once they stop booking O, they seldom come back. 
That happened to us on Celebrity. We were elite plus.  We disliked All In. We stopped booking Celebrity. We didn’t know that Celebrity now offers cruise only again. Found that by reading postings on this forum. We have moved on and it’s unlikely that we would sail on Celebrity again.  Oceania may find that passengers love or hate SM.  I wish that there was a choice of SM or cruise only.

• Like 1

People need to get over it. SM is a price increase. That’s all it is. Oceania attempts to take part of the sting out by giving everyone the basic drinks package which costs them very little. They take part of the sting out by giving everyone credit on taking hugely overpriced, and often boring, shore excursions. If neither rock your boat then it’s just a needed price increase. That’s it: a price increase.

Time will tell how successfully the price increase sticks. They already do almost a continuous slew of differing Sales to fill the ships. Wait, watch, and catch a sale can be a strategy. In the end, there’s going to be a price increase. Customers just have to pay it or move on.

I’ll add to this a bit of uncertainty on my part. Perhaps those of us that don’t want to get off the ship and/or go on ship excursions ( I’m definitely in the latter), are no longer the targeted customers. Besides needing a price increase, maybe Oceania has indeed done extensive marketing surveys and that upcoming generation ( under 70) primarily wants a more all inclusive experience. Perhaps those new customers will gladly use the credits and jump on even more ship shorexs. KaChing!! If knitting, darning, and gossiping is your current favorite cruise pastime, you’re now going to pay more to do it on Oceania. That’s it:SM is just a price increase.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

People need to get over it. SM is a price increase. That’s all it is. Oceania attempts to take part of the sting out by giving everyone the basic drinks package which costs them very little. They take part of the sting out by giving everyone credit on taking hugely overpriced, and often boring, shore excursions. If neither rock your boat then it’s just a needed price increase. That’s it: a price increase.

Time will tell how successfully the price increase sticks. They already do almost a continuous slew of differing Sales to fill the ships. Wait, watch, and catch a sale can be a strategy. In the end, there’s going to be a price increase. Customers just have to pay it or move on.

I’ll add to this a bit of uncertainty on my part. Perhaps those of us that don’t want to get off the ship and/or go on ship excursions ( I’m definitely in the latter), are no longer the targeted customers. Besides needing a price increase, maybe Oceania has indeed done extensive marketing surveys and that upcoming generation ( under 70) primarily wants a more all inclusive experience. Perhaps those new customers will gladly use the credits and jump on even more ship shorexs. KaChing!! If knitting, darning, and gossiping is your current favorite cruise pastime, you’re now going to pay more to do it on Oceania. That’s it:SM is just a price increase.

So, you're saying they are a for profit entity and not "family"? I never did get that whole "O family" nonsense. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

What really matters is the overall package and how does it compare to other lines. This might be a price increase, but at least they give something in return (if you use it or not is a different matter). Just look at other lines to see their pricing. Crystal 2025 prices are 15-20% higher than 2024 prices (that were already crazy). We could get some good deals with SS for 2024, 2025 is completely out of reach. 

We did some extensive price analysis, and booked 2 cruises on O for 2025 because the found the prices still very reasonable.

Example: 10 nights Med cruise on Vista was $500 CAD per night of FV in May 2024 (before SM). Now we booked 12 nights in June 2025 for $490 CAD per night, including SM. Even if we don't drink a single glass of wine and don't use the $550 CAD credit, it is still a very reasonable price to me.

So 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last time we were on Oceania we bought the complete drinks package.  At lunch and dinner we could choose from a list of about 10 wines for our wine by the glass.   On the previous page I read someone who said you now have a choice or red or white.  Does this mean you can no longer pick which red or white ?  Lord help me if I have to drink a sauvignon blanc!!   Anyway we have taken the SimplyMore offer and we are buying the upgrade to the full beverage package... I found this actually saves us a little money based on our choices of excursions and what we like to drink.

12 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Last time we were on Oceania we bought the complete drinks package.  At lunch and dinner we could choose from a list of about 10 wines for our wine by the glass.   On the previous page I read someone who said you now have a choice or red or white.  Does this mean you can no longer pick which red or white ?  Lord help me if I have to drink a sauvignon blanc!!   Anyway we have taken the SimplyMore offer and we are buying the upgrade to the full beverage package... I found this actually saves us a little money based on our choices of excursions and what we like to drink.

I believe that person was being a bit sarcastic as someone said they thought SM would make it easier.  Also there was a reference to 2025 is when full SM will be implemented and of course nobody can say with 100% certainty how it will be at that time. But it appears at this point even with some under the SM still working as OLife and you are still getting your choice of any wine on the Wine by Glass list. 

Just now, Hambagahle said:

The person who said that was completely wrong and not onboard.....the wine, champagne and beer selection is exactly the same as before SM - how do we know, we are on a B2B and the first cruise was under OLife and the 2nd cruise is under SM,,,,,the wine list we have to choose from did not change!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, basor said:

The person who said that was completely wrong and not onboard.....the wine, champagne and beer selection is exactly the same as before SM - how do we know, we are on a B2B and the first cruise was under OLife and the 2nd cruise is under SM,,,,,the wine list we have to choose from did not change!

So, should we believe you and your firsthand current information or the fact free speculation?  Hmmmmm😄

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, basor said:

Thank you.  I am delighted.   

• Like 1

It may be a price increase as some have said, but with O life, you could choose it or not.As one person stated Celebrity had something similar & a lot of Pax walked. So they went back to before. We have a Princess Cabana Reverve on the New Sun Princess in 2025.It does have a dedicated rest. for Reserve class. We'll see how our Jan. Vista ship cruise goes. If we're unimpressed then Princess may become our line of choice. We'll just wait & see.

12 hours ago, rbtan said:

It may be a price increase as some have said, but with O life, you could choose it or not.As one person stated Celebrity had something similar & a lot of Pax walked. So they went back to before. We have a Princess Cabana Reverve on the New Sun Princess in 2025.It does have a dedicated rest. for Reserve class. We'll see how our Jan. Vista ship cruise goes. If we're unimpressed then Princess may become our line of choice. We'll just wait & see.

If you’d like to compare Oceania with Princess then I believe Princess will always win in price. We’ll never sail with Princess no matter how cheap is the price. The experience is just not for us.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, shepherd really said:

So, should we believe you and your firsthand current information or the fact free speculation?  Hmmmmm😄

Hey, it's 2023.  I'll go with speculation or any allegation that fits my desired outcome and consider it factual.  Everything else is fake. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:27 AM, pinotlover said:

New to Oceania.  It's an obvious money grab from those of us who don't spend a dime on overpriced cruise line excursions.  I value the $800 credit at about $400, so making it up elsewhere.  Used an online bid site and got gratuities thrown in ($360) and $1,000 refundable OBC and a nice group rate.  If after the cruise, I don't see value, we'll exclude Oceania from our rotation.  We do like Azamara, but waiting for the new ownership group there to clean up their act (pre-cruise) because their pricing, itineraries, and inclusions offer good value.

22 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

New to Oceania.  It's an obvious money grab from those of us who don't spend a dime on overpriced cruise line excursions.  I value the $800 credit at about $400, so making it up elsewhere.  Used an online bid site and got gratuities thrown in ($360) and $1,000 refundable OBC and a nice group rate.  If after the cruise, I don't see value, we'll exclude Oceania from our rotation.  We do like Azamara, but waiting for the new ownership group there to clean up their act (pre-cruise) because their pricing, itineraries, and inclusions offer good value.

I believe a valuation of $320-$400 on the credit is fairly inline. Enjoy your cruise and consider the total package provided by Oceania along with the total costs.

SM is a price increase. IMO, people are getting too hung up on the mechanism of the increase. Just view it as the new cost of cruising O, and decide how that cost of service meets your wants and needs. At this point wasting time on this mechanics of the increase is just wasting time. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I believe a valuation of $320-$400 on the credit is fairly inline. Enjoy your cruise and consider the total package provided by Oceania along with the total costs.

SM is a price increase. IMO, people are getting too hung up on the mechanism of the increase. Just view it as the new cost of cruising O, and decide how that cost of service meets your wants and needs. At this point wasting time on this mechanics of the increase is just wasting time. 

I am not bent out of shape about it at all. The price of everything is going up and it's only $800 and not as if it includes ALL excursions All ports. Let's just say that Viking is not an option for us.  I like our all in price, so not sweating the details at all.  

10 hours ago, osandomir said:

If you’d like to compare Oceania with Princess then I believe Princess will always win in price. We’ll never sail with Princess no matter how cheap is the price. The experience is just not for us.

Generally I agree. A Princess Club Class mini suite is surprisingly close in price to O. The food quality & ambience is not.You will find a lot of pax have jumped ship to O as they want a more classy trip for their buck. I do have a cruise in 2025 on the new Sun Princess. We've no problem with Large ships. The QM2 is still our favorite. With dedicated restaurants for the Reserve Class (Club Class) & full suites, we want to see if Princess is trying to offer a more upscale package.We'll see. I wasn't too impressed with this "Save the Seas" garbage that O dumped on us Last Jan. This resulted in cancelled ports(the weather was NOT an issue no matter what they claim) & delayed port entries which resulted in shorter stays. There's enough posts on that subject. We all pay a pretty high price for what we get. I don't like when lines use smoke & mirrors to try & fool pax.

• Like 1