Recommend these Caribbean excursions?

1sttimerrt

We are considering the following excursions on our Caribbean cruise:

*Damajagua waterfalls & Cultural Experience 

*El Yunque rainforest 

*Private Sailing & Snorkeling,  St. Barts

*Champagne snorkel by land, Dominica

*Virgin Gorda & the baths, British Virgin Islands

We like to be active and avoid coach intensive excursions.  Based on this, what has been your experience with these particular excursions. 

Champagne snorkel was quite difficult to get in the water as entry way into the water was extremely rocky with stones the size of grapefruits and larger.  Very unstable. I made it in but John aborted. Some bubbles (hence champagne) but nothing to write home about. All in all, not worth the risk, imho.

19 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Champagne snorkel was quite difficult to get in the water as entry way into the water was extremely rocky with stones the size of grapefruits and larger.  Very unstable. I made it in but John aborted. Some bubbles (hence champagne) but nothing to write home about. All in all, not worth the risk, imho.

I completely agree, although we did actually enjoy the "bubbles" and the snorkeling. This excursion would be much better if you took a boat and entered from there instead of that hideous beach entrance. 

I have been to El Yunque, though not on a tour.  It is lovely, with hiking trails and small water falls.  However, it is an around 45 minute drive from the Condado area of San Juan.  You can research the El Yunque site on line to get a flavor for its beauty.  Enjoy!

I haven't done these excursions through Regent but I've been to El Yunque (through another cruise line, honestly I can't remember which but possibly Celebrity).  The above poster is correct about the time it takes to travel there (IIRC it was maybe an hour for us but perhaps traffic or something...) which is probably why I ended up doing it with the cruise line instead of independently. It was pretty.

I've also been to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. I was excited about this as I'd read for a number of years that it was quite pretty. Our experience (this time definitely with Celebrity) was disappointing and I'm not sure Regent could do much to improve it... the issue was that the Baths were just SO crowded.  There were passengers there from other ships as well, it seems, and perhaps some land-based tours. It wasn't very enjoyable.  I would not return.

I hope you enjoy whatever you do choose.

We second the rent a car in St. Barts.  Getting away from the crowds in Gustavia is beautiful.  Some great uncrowded beaches on the other side.  One caveat.  Our rental was a POS car.  No brakes hardly, Steered hard left if you weren't careful, and barely could get up hills.  Still we had a great time getting around. 

My husband and I loved the Baths at Virgin Gorda, both times, once with Regent and once with Azamara.  Both tines, there were only small ships tendering that day.  Just know that you tender, then catch your provided ride to the Baths, then walk down many steps to the baths.  Since you're active, you'll have no problem.  Again we enjoyed it immensely, a bit of a Tom Sawyer feeling, but it wasn't a super busy day with great numbers of people from many ships.  Once through the Baths, there is a beautiful beach (on your left if at the top of the stairs) called Devil's something, Bay maybe).  One of our favorite beaches ever!  No chairs or anything provided, just bring a towel.  There's a website somewhere to check how many ships are in each port the day of your excursion.  If no one else provides it, I'll try to find it and let you know

Champagne snorkel didn’t work for us.  Too difficult to enter the water from the rocky beach with waves breaking over you.  Those who went came back exhausted.  The champagne bubbles were quite a distance away and against the tide.  Also, when you arrive, the beach access is down a long series of uneven stones with no hand rail.   We remained on our designated beach chairs and had our complimentary drink. At least we got to see some of the island during the ride.

• Like 1

Agree that going to the Baths at Virgin Gorda is worth it only if there are not a lot of other pax there. We did this a few years ago on another cruise line - very large ship. The line to walk through the baths was so long that we skipped it.  We did enjoy the beach.  Wear good shoes for the hike down and back up.  It was a little slippery in parts.  I am glad I went there (I like to see everything!) but I would not return.

On 10/15/2023 at 12:34 AM, ginny123 said:

My husband and I loved the Baths at Virgin Gorda, both times, once with Regent and once with Azamara.  Both tines, there were only small ships tendering that day.  Just know that you tender, then catch your provided ride to the Baths, then walk down many steps to the baths.  Since you're active, you'll have no problem.  Again we enjoyed it immensely, a bit of a Tom Sawyer feeling, but it wasn't a super busy day with great numbers of people from many ships.  Once through the Baths, there is a beautiful beach (on your left if at the top of the stairs) called Devil's something, Bay maybe).  One of our favorite beaches ever!  No chairs or anything provided, just bring a towel.  There's a website somewhere to check how many ships are in each port the day of your excursion.  If no one else provides it, I'll try to find it and let you know

The website to check the ships is port is

https://www.whatsinport.com/

Select your destination and then there is a link to each port's calendar

If you are going to Tortola a great getaway is take the ferry (approx 45 mins) to White Bay Jost van Dyke.  Famous Soggy Dollar Bar leads the chain of beach bars/grills.  Only accessible by boat so keeps the crowds down.  Quintessential Caribbean beach and beach bars.