Another NCL newbie question. Is vibe worth $249

smellywax

yes, a lounge chair is guaranteed in the vibe in the sense that the number of passes sold does not exceed lounge chair capacity. but i don’t believe NCL makes that specific claim.

Edited by UKstages

Vibe is great for relaxing in a more peaceful environment on a warm weather cruise. The thermal suite is the equivalent for colder cruises. Both areas are limited access, and you will always find a place to unwind.

Like in most resorts and cruise ships today people reserve loungers starting 7AM. Not having to deal with that is in it self worth the money. 

The value increases even more if you don’t have a balcony. 

• Like 1

I was on the NCL Escape Sept 17 to 24th, so like a month ago. It was a New England and Canada cruise with a deck temperature in the 60s Farenheit. I often went up to Deck 19 and 20 as part of my daily walk and there was almost no one in the Vibe. So whoever paid for the Vibe, they didn't really get their money's worth. The bartenders were there, but I never saw many people using Vibe the whole week and definitely not on the two rain days.

If you're like me and even 30 degree weather or rain won't stop you from being outside, go for the Vibe. Otherwise, just go to Spice H2O (if your ship has one) for free and stay on the opposite side of the smoking section. 

Or for the same price almost, if your ship has a spa Thermal suite with hot tub and pool, go for that, since it's usable in all weather.

@smellywaxI'll assume you are on a warm weather cruise.  Shade is not guaranteed, although I lounger is.  We've not had a problem getting shade in the past.  

For us, the benefit of Vibe is the atmosphere.  We don't care for the loud racous party scene around the pools.  Vibe is quieter, peaceful.  We also like that the bar staff and servers get to know you, what you like, etc.  There also tends to build up a little community in Vibe which we enjoy.  

There is no pool.  There are hot tubs that are only for Vibe (so no kids hanging out in them).  Some Vibes have a water feature that can be used to help cool off.

• Like 2

I Agree with Ellis. On that cruise you are unlikely to find the outside areas crowded. I would definitely go for the Thermal Suite. You will enjoy it after your shore excursions in particular. 

8 hours ago, smellywax said:

Is vibe worth $249 for a week? 

Questions like "Is it worth...?" are all relative. And personal. What may be worth it to some people isn't worth it to others. Looks like you got answers to your other more specific questions.

9 hours ago, smellywax said:

Another NCL newbie question. Is vibe worth $249 for a week? Is it that hard to get a lounger in the shade outside? Does Vibe guarantee you a lounger? Sorry for all the questions as I have cruised a lot but never on NCL.

Paying money for the Vibe is never worth it. It is a money grab to get you to pay for something that is free. And a lot of people who invest in the vibe will spend a hour or two out there. (Yeah a small fraction will be out there constantly, but I got better things to do). Only 80-300 of the 4500 passengers on a ship fall for the money grab and buy a pass. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dock said:

Can I assume I shouldn’t bother on a cold weather cruise? Have never been on NCL. 
Iceland/ Norway in August. 
Will have a regular balcony. 
Thanks. 

Correct.  Don't bother on cold weather cruise...unless you like to hang outside in cold weather for extended periods.  You may be one of the only ones there however.  (Not sure if the hot tub gets hot enough).

That said, if the weather is in the 60's or 70's in Norway at that time, maybe it'll be OK

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Paying money for the Vibe is never worth it. It is a money grab to get you to pay for something that is free. And a lot of people who invest in the vibe will spend a hour or two out there. (Yeah a small fraction will be out there constantly, but I got better things to do).

Contrarian opinion: it's worth it on a warm/hot weather cruise where you want to be in the sun, have unfettered access to a bar with shot-happy bartenders, and plenty of elbow room in the hot tub....plus no kids.  We like it.

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, AndyCapn said:

Another factor to consider is children. If they bother you around the pool deck and/or you're cruising during school holidays, an adults-only refuge can be the difference between a relaxing cruise and a constant headache.

Someone who made a travel video about staying in the Haven, complained about annoying children.  He recommended for next time, a regular balcony cruise, and signing up for Vibe.  No kids, and you'll save money.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Someone who made a travel video about staying in the Haven, complained about annoying children.  He recommended for next time, a regular balcony cruise, and signing up for Vibe.  No kids, and you'll save money.

Can't comment on children being annoying, but yes, especially during holiday/no school breaks, kids are definitely in the Haven and it's sort of like a water fun park for them, albeit with shallow pools and hot tubs.  Their family paid for them, so no judgement from me; but the better play is what you suggest above, which @Sthrngary dubbed "Haven lite". 

It's what we do these days instead of the Haven.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Paying money for the Vibe is never worth it. It is a money grab to get you to pay for something that is free. And a lot of people who invest in the vibe will spend a hour or two out there. (Yeah a small fraction will be out there constantly, but I got better things to do). Only 80-300 of the 4500 passengers on a ship fall for the money grab and buy a pass. 

@smellywax This is false information.  You can NOT get for free anywhere on the ship what Vibe offers.  Vibe offers value to many people.  Besides the 80-300 people who buy the Vibe, there are unknown numbers (hundreds perhaps) who wish they could have bought it before it sold out.   Vibe has been around for many years now, it still sells out on every warm-weather cruise.  The Birds may not like it, but obviously, plenty of others do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

End of discussion.

20 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Thank you for contribution and for sharing your well thoughts out opinion. 🤣🤣

Hahaha. Ironic you proved yourself wrong!  😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, smellywax said:

Another NCL newbie question. Is vibe worth $249 for a week? Is it that hard to get a lounger in the shade outside? Does Vibe guarantee you a lounger? Sorry for all the questions as I have cruised a lot but never on NCL.

We found it not to be worth the original much lower price let alone this inflated absurd price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAcruising said:

lol. Good luck with that. Your definitive statement is pointless. As proven by many posts above you.

His opinion is just as valid as any other.  What oterhs post in no way impact that fact.  They are all opinions and we knwo what those are worth.

Depends.  I was on Epic this summer on a very port intensive cruise - seldom saw anyone else in Vibe.  We used it after getting back on-board for drinks or sail-away.  On the Epic Vibe does not have a hot tub - just bar and loungers.  Looking down onto the swimming pool there were always loungers available.  Can't speak about breakaway ships, but I know on the Epic the whole deck on the other side of Vibe is also set up with loungers (seldom dispersed) and a shower.  On our 9-day cruise I never saw anyone in this area - I was using it for walking. On our cruise it would have been a complete waste of money - even Posh wasn't heavily utilized.

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Opinions proce nothing.  Get over yourself.

Geez, dude. We're having a little fun here. Let your hair down a bit. And learn how to proof before hitting that submit button.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1