Another NCL newbie question. Is vibe worth $249

smellywax

My wife and I love the Vibe, if we are not in the Haven we will get passes. We both like to to sit outside and the Vibe is usually pretty quiet. Service has always been excellent. If we were only spending an hour or two there on sea days we would not bother, but since we are there for 5-6 hours its well worth it for us

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2023 at 6:49 PM, sansroof said:

Also, not sure if this is a new benefit or I just missed it in my research, but the bartender gave us two big boxes of the "Acqua" water every day to bring back to our cabin which was nice to have!

Wow - Has anyone else seen this "benefit"?

1 hour ago, spotfish said:

Not to hijack the thread but we're making our first cruise to Mexico out of LA over Christmas this year would the Vibe be a good option that time of year?

I honestly can't imagine a better time; spring break, maybe.

Edited by IAcruising
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2023 at 10:24 AM, spotfish said:

Not to hijack the thread but we're making our first cruise to Mexico out of LA over Christmas this year would the Vibe be a good option that time of year?

Hard to say. Weather is fickle. All you can do is monitor it before your cruise.

We cruised on the Joy last February from LA to Mexico and it was windy, rainy and COLD the entire 5 days. Even saw snowflakes in LA. If you remember that was when LA had their torrential rains and flooding.

We would try to use our Vibe passes but after a few minutes would have to leave. No one was ever up there.

That being said, we love Vibe and on our Bermuda cruise in June we were very happy with our Vibe experience.

• Like 2

Well we are using it for our Dec 2-9, 2023 Escape cruise.  I guess it is sold out (the vibe, not the cruise)  so we'll see what we think when we get back!!   I dont really care about the pool area, but dont want to have to try to fight for a chair in the sun.  Who knows if it'll actually be busy on the ship or not.  

We pretty much went all out on this cruise, being our 1st one.  Got the club spa balcony room and the vibe and upgraded to the premium plus free at sea or whatever it's called.   Honestly, have zero excursions planned, MAY get off and go look at some of the "hand made" stuff that says made in china on it at a couple of the ports, but may not even do that.. 🙂  We almost always do vacations where we have lots planned and while enjoyable, not exactly relaxing.. We are planning on RELAXING this vacation 🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Well we are using it for our Dec 2-9, 2023 Escape cruise.  I guess it is sold out (the vibe, not the cruise)  so we'll see what we think when we get back!!   I dont really care about the pool area, but dont want to have to try to fight for a chair in the sun.  Who knows if it'll actually be busy on the ship or not.  

We pretty much went all out on this cruise, being our 1st one.  Got the club spa balcony room and the vibe and upgraded to the premium plus free at sea or whatever it's called.   Honestly, have zero excursions planned, MAY get off and go look at some of the "hand made" stuff that says made in china on it at a couple of the ports, but may not even do that.. 🙂  We almost always do vacations where we have lots planned and while enjoyable, not exactly relaxing.. We are planning on RELAXING this vacation 🙂  

If the weather is good, there is, in my opinion, no where better to relax.   

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Right, weather is ALWAYS the kicker isnt it?  

Yes, it is.   However, once we spent a few hours at the Vibe bar in the rain and enjoyed the company we had.    We will never cruise without it if the ship has one.   

• Like 3

On 10/17/2023 at 10:24 AM, spotfish said:

We are sailing on the Bliss over New Years (right after you perhaps?) and we bought Vibe passes. December is often nice in SoCal, but you never know. When we get the Santa Ana winds it is hot and sunny. If El Nino strikes early it could be rainy in LA. We live about 40 minutes from the port and have done this cruise over the holidays before. Once we get to Cabo and south the weather should be great. I figure we will have at least 4-5 days of good weather. The worst weather is on that sea day back to LA. Once you pass Cabo it can get cold and overcast. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trivia addict said:

All you can do is monitor it before your cruise.

We cruised on the Joy last February from LA to Mexico and it was windy, rainy and COLD the entire 5 days. Even saw snowflakes in LA. If you remember that was when LA had their torrential rains and flooding.

February is our rainy season. Yes, last year was UNSEASONABLY wet and cold. December is usually not too bad. I agree, check the forecast! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

Were you able to snag a pass for your Dec cruise? Would love to have another iowegian around. 

I think you're confusing me with another poster. We're going to Bermuda in a couple of weeks. It's a 5-day, $200 for Vibe. Haven't convinced Mrs. IA to get it. I think she's going to regret it. The Escape is looking pretty full, with a ton of kids. It's fall break for New Jersey schools.

• 2 weeks later...

I was the original poster asking if it was worth it. I purchased it for my western Caribbean cruise and I Do NOT think it was worth it. Maybe if you have a drink package, it is faster for you to get your bar service but all the so called amenities of cold water misters, fruit and snacks…not once did I see. The only thing I saw at the bar was a plate with cookies. I can’t drink a lot so I never get the drink package so other than having nice chairs, I saw no benefit as there were always deck chairs available (not by the pool but they had them in various areas. This is on the Joy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, smellywax said:

I Do NOT think it was worth it.... all the so called amenities of cold water misters, fruit and snacks…not once did I see.

This is on the Joy. 

interesting.

i'm currently on the joy and in the vibe. we've received chilled fruit skewers, canapés and finger sandwiches. the servers could not possibly be more attentive, checking on each guest relentlessly and bringing drinks to the hot tubs, as well as your lounge chair. those chairs are a cut above the average chair, with super plush cushions and a fabric cover that gets changed daily. i haven't seen any misters, but we've been given refrigerated wet washcloths at least once a day, there are four well maintained clean bathrooms. and, while not an official documented benefit, guests are often given whole cans of soda or beer "to go" as they leave.

Maybe if you have a drink package...

well, yes indeed... having a drink package, while not required, is strongly recommended to maximize your vibe experience! i don't believe you mentioned that you would not have a drink package in your initial post. had you, i'm pretty sure you would have received some different recommendations. 

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, UKstages said:

interesting.

i'm currently on the joy and in the vibe. we've received chilled fruit skewers, canapés and finger sandwiches. the servers could not possibly be more attentive, checking on each guest relentlessly and bringing drinks to the hot tubs, as well as your lounge chair. those chairs are a cut above the average chair, with super plush cushions and a fabric cover that gets changed daily. i haven't seen any misters, but we've been given refrigerated wet washcloths at least once a day, there are four well maintained clean bathrooms. and, while not an official documented benefit, guests are often given whole cans of soda or beer "to go" as they leave.

well, yes indeed... having a drink package, while not required, is strongly recommended to maximize your vibe experience! i don't believe you mentioned that you would not have a drink package in your initial post. had you, i'm pretty sure you would have received some different recommendations. 

@UKstages Funny, I saw the post by the author and was going to reply.  Then I said, "Gary, folks are getting on your case for top many post on CruiseCritic.com." So I passed.  When I read your post, I had to reply.

I agree with @UKstages 100%.  I won't even take a NCL Cruise without a Vibe Pass for the week.  I like it better then the Haven Sundeck.  I have never gotten anything but outstanding service there.  It is part of my "Haven Lite" approach.  My wife, who does not agree with me much, feels the same way.  She loved it. ESPECIALLY the Joy Vibe.  That was our favorite. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

interesting.

Is there a specific time they send out fruit, canapés and sandwiches? Is it only in the morning? I would usually go around 12:30 pm for 4 hours and never saw anything 🤷‍♀️.  Not having a drink package is why I’m posting back for those that are on the fence about the Vibe. I think it’s needed to appreciate the benefit of dedicated bar staff and for those like me that don’t drink enough to have a package, I didn’t see anything extra other than a comfortable chair.

18 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Funny, I saw the post by the author and was going to reply.  Then I said, "Gary, folks are getting on your case for top many post on CruiseCritic.com." So I passed.

@Sthrngary Please don't throttle back on your posts.  I enjoy reading them and for your even-handed, considerate replies and comments.

8 hours ago, smellywax said:

Is there a specific time they send out fruit, canapés and sandwiches? Is it only in the morning? I would usually go around 12:30 pm for 4 hours and never saw anything 🤷‍♀️.  Not having a drink package is why I’m posting back for those that are on the fence about the Vibe. I think it’s needed to appreciate the benefit of dedicated bar staff and for those like me that don’t drink enough to have a package, I didn’t see anything extra other than a comfortable chair

@smellywax I was in the Joy Vibe in September and loved it.  That's largely b/c of the drink package and incredible bar service, so I agree with your take: if no drink package, then value of Vibe goes down a lot...and is basically eroded to having a lot of lounger opportunities and elbow-room in the hot tub.  When I was on the Joy, like you observed, I only saw a plate of cookies in the afternoon, no magical level of fruit or other snacks.  To compensate, we trekked down to the buffet many times for snacks.  To us, not a big deal, given the overall enjoyment of the Vibe, but yeah, I wish they had said snacks there all the time.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on the sailing because on all of our Vibe sailings, there were pastries and coffee in the morning, then fruit and cookies in the afternoon.    Once on the Escape in 2019 on a Bermuda run, they even let us order off the Haven snack menu.  However, I have only seen that once.    

12 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Once on the Escape in 2019 on a Bermuda run, they even let us order off the Haven snack menu.  However, I have only seen that once.    

Same thing happened to me ONCE on the NCL Joy Vibe.  What I notice are folks that have differing opinions and not just about the Vibe.  Many times their opinions are way different then mine.  Sometimes I am not sure if they are real or legit however a very long time ago, I made a mistake about a person and it left a lasting mark on me. Now, regardless of the view, everyone has the right to feel the way they want about the services they receive.  My money, my decision, my like/dislikes. 

For me, I simply won't go on a NCL non-Haven cruise without the Vibe.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2