Thoughts on Celebrity Millennium for a Japan cruise?

jbinpa

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MandL said:

We are now headed back to the ship from the excursion.  Haven’t heard yet from Celebrity if they are back at the Port, but we did get phone notification that the warning is over.  I have an earthquake app on my phone because we lived in California. So I get updates on all of what’s going on.

Dear Guest,

The tsunami warning has been lifted and local authorities have advised that the port of Okinawa is now open. As we make our way back, below is important information.

The aftershocks of the earthquake were not strong enough to cause tsunami waves. As a result, Celebrity Millennium will arrive to its original terminal by 1:30 PM, and we will extend our stay until 10:00 PM.

Guests who are ashore may return to the ship at their leisure. If you are on a Celebrity Cruises shore excursion, you may continue enjoying it or return to the ship. Please let your guide know how you would like to proceed.

Guests onboard may begin debarking the ship shortly after 1:30 PM to explore everything Okinawa has to offer.

In an abundance of caution, guests booked on independent tours, please refrain from any tours with ocean activities, like snorkeling, swimming, or sailing.

Your safety is our priority. Thank you so much for your attention and cooperation during this time.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Here is the second  email from Celebrity.

Sorry about that!  I posted out of order 🤓

Edited by MandL
Spelling

First email from Celebrity:

Dear Guest,

Celebrity Millennium had to depart the port for safe waters due to a tsunami warning.

The initial forecasted wave has already passed. We are now waiting on local authorities for further information on when we can return to port, and we anticipate the warning will be lifted very soon.

Please listen for emergency information and alerts.

If you're on a Celebrity shore excursion, please remain with your group.

Please do not return to the port yet, as we are waiting to learn when it will reopen.

Your safety is our priority. We are monitoring this situation as closely as possible and will be in contact with you every hour with updates or details.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Posted (edited)

Important Alert - Update
The tsunami warning has been lifted and the port is now open. Celebrity Millennium will arrive by 1:30 ... https://evb.gg/n#ka666i4ok4o

Celebrity was very good at keeping us updated.  The guide - not so much.

Edited by MandL

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@MandL @Northern Aurora  Is there any concern about a tidal wave/Tsunami with the ship being in Okinawa right now ?  On a Japanese news channel there was mention of a 3-meter tidal wave/Tsumi warning for Okinawa. 

We also were on a ship excursion when a number of phones sounded the alert.  We happened to be on a high elevation (in  the parking lot of the Peace Memorial Museum).  Our guide had us initially stay on the motor coach then let us get off but had us stay in the bus vicinity.  She was excellent in conveying information to us.  A fellow passenger was texting with a relative who had elected to remain on board today, also we knew that the Millennium had left the port before receiving the express notification.

We have been told that while the prediction was for a tsunami around four meters, but apparently it more like 0.3 meters.  No damage to the port.  We had left at 8:30 am for a five hour tour.  We received the full tour so returned to the ship after 3 pm.  

Today the Millennium docked on the port side of the ship. Gangway was normal width.  

Passports were checked both here in Okinawa (both departing and returning to the ship) and in Kochi (just leaving the ship).

Should also mention that in Osaka we docked within a five minute walk to the subway station.  On the first day we simply used the metro to go to the train station to board the rapid express to Nara.  The deer were incredible.  And yes — they do bow for their deer crackers. 

• Like 1

Hi,

We also loved the deer in Nara when we visited a few years

ago! However, some chased me when I wasn't giving out the

crackers fast enough. An awesome place and an event that I 

will never forget. We had several repeat Japan cruises booked

that were cancelled due to COVID! Unfortunate.

Bill

5 minutes ago, BP99 said:

Hi,

We also loved the deer in Nara when we visited a few years

ago! However, some chased me when I wasn't giving out the

crackers fast enough. An awesome place and an event that I 

will never forget. We had several repeat Japan cruises booked

that were cancelled due to COVID! Unfortunate.

Bill

We didn’t make it to Nara when we were in Japan in 2018.  The community is so lovely and I fell in love with the deer.  Those deer OWN Nara and they know it!

And we also belong to the club of folks who had trips to Japan cancelled due to Covid.

@MandL & @Northern Aurora  Thank you.  We followed the ships path on shipcruises.org and saw that she was headed back to Naha when we went to bed.  Glad the Tsunami turned out to be rather a non-event.  Tsunami's are taken very serious, especially after what happened in Fukushima 13 years ago.  Glad to see Celebrity was very proactive in keep guest informed.

Believe it or not, there was absolutely nothing on any of the major US News agencies last night which is what prompted me to impose on the two of you for information. 

27 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Believe it or not, there was absolutely nothing on any of the major US News agencies last night which is what prompted me to impose on the two of you for information. 

Was it caused by the Taiwan earthquake?

Any ideas why cruises that go to Taiwan are not as popular?

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Was it caused by the Taiwan earthquake?

Yes.  

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Any ideas why cruises that go to Taiwan are not as popular?

No idea.  I have never looked at cruises that included Taiwan.  

On 4/3/2024 at 8:24 AM, Northern Aurora said:

Should also mention that in Osaka we docked within a five minute walk to the subway station.  On the first day we simply used the metro to go to the train station to board the rapid express to Nara.  The deer were incredible.  And yes — they do bow for their deer crackers. 

Thank you for mentioning this, it will help me with our planning.

On 4/1/2024 at 10:12 AM, MandL said:

Taxis are plentiful from Haneda, hotels, snd even if you get into a jam and need one around town in Tokyo.  They were way less expensive than pre-booking online in advance through travel sites.

Crazy-specific question about Haneda taxis... do they have different size taxis with bigger trunks?  The Haneda website made it look like there was one standard, small-ish car size, I'm wondering what our options are for a party of 4 (with luggage, obviously) if we want to just grab one when we get there?

44 minutes ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Crazy-specific question about Haneda taxis... do they have different size taxis with bigger trunks?  The Haneda website made it look like there was one standard, small-ish car size, I'm wondering what our options are for a party of 4 (with luggage, obviously) if we want to just grab one when we get there?

I would recommend a bus service over a taxi service.  Unlike here in the US Taxi's in Japan are predominately sedans.  I would HIGHLY recommend you contact your hotel's concierge and make arrangements to be met at the airport.  Many of the hotels have connections with Taxi / Limousine  services that can get you and you baggage to the hotel.  

We are arriving at Haneda for our cruise and will be taking an express bus service to our hotel in Yokohama. 

• Like 1

We are using the train to get to Yokohama on Sunday. Taxis very expensive for there and Tokyo. On return from the cruise we have two nights in Tokyo. Have booked a taxi to the terminal via Vioator as the Limousine service seems to start too late for our flight. However the taxi service is pretty specific - only two suitcases.

Look at the Bus Limousine service as per DaKuna. Stops at numerous hotels encourages:https://webservice.limousinebus.co.jp/web/en/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

We are using the train to get to Yokohama on Sunday. Taxis very expensive for there and Tokyo. On return from the cruise we have two nights in Tokyo. Have booked a taxi to the terminal via Vioator as the Limousine service seems to start too late for our flight. However the taxi service is pretty specific - only two suitcases.

Look at the Bus Limousine service as per DaKuna. Stops at numerous hotels encourages:https://webservice.limousinebus.co.jp/web/en/

if you are talking about the MK taxi service booking in advance, yes it is very expensive in advance, and mentions rules about luggage size and limits. We did not pre-book our taxi from Haneda to Conrad, nor Conrad to Port. We just did walk ups and for luggage to be specific we had a lot (each had a travel pro large roll on, and a travel pro carry on, along with a personal item DH had backpack and I had a zippered carry all.  It was only 7250 yen and no problem with luggage.  7500 yen to port (but remember our port was a tad further, so probably less if you are staying in Yokohama).  I am in total agreement on needing a reservation for party of four. Our hotel provided us with information on a limousine service for that, but didn’t need it.  

• Like 1

If anyone on this thread is doing the Celebrity cruise on June 8, please note that I have booked private excursions for myself and my teenage daughter for: 1) Osaka/Kyoto overnight; 2) Busan, and 3) Tokyo.  I am looking for one group of 1-3 to join us and share the cost.  

1) For Osaka/Kyoto: Mr. Hiro (English speaking) will charge us $800 for pick up and drop off at port as well as being an English Tour Guide.  We are paying separately for our hotel, tea ceremony, and rickshaw ride near the Bamboo Forest.  We would like to add people and share this this cost ($200 per person if we add two people).  Mr. Hiro will pick us up on 6/11 at 8am at the port and drop us at the hotel in Kyoto at 4 pm.  I privately booked a room at the Hotel Granvia Kyoto, which is above the train station, for $120 USD.  I also privately booked wearing a kimono and attending a tea ceremony in Gion at 2 pm for around $50/per person.  We have reservations for 2 at Kura Kura (on our own--and this might be filling up).  We will see the Fushimi Inari Shrine.  For 6/12, Mr. Hiro will pick us up at 8 am at the hotel and drop us off at the ship by 2 pm.  He will take us to Arashiyama.  We are separately booking a rickshaw there for around $70 for the two of us for 30 minutes (but you would not need to do this).

2) For Busan, our private English-speaking guide is charging us $355 (which we can split so if we add two people it will be around $88 per person.  He is taking us to the following places and we will pay entrance fees and lunch separately (not included in tour price but also not expensive):  Blue Line Capsule, Haeundae Beach, Dongbaek Island & APEC House, Oryukdo Skywalk, Songdo Marine Cable Car, Beomeosa Temple, Huinnyeoul Culture Village, Gwangalli Beach, X-the -Sky, UN Memorial Cemetery, Magnate, Busan tower, Youngdusan park.

3) For Tokyo, we are paying $595 for an English-speaking guide.  He will pick us up at the port around 9:15 a.m. and drop us off at the hotel around 5:15 p.m. We are staying at the Hotel Century Southern Tower in Shibuya for around $550 for two nights (the guide might just drop us off at the Micpig cafe around 4 and take our luggage to the hotel).  The tour will include the following: 

10 am Yanaka area 

12 am Akihabara 

Lunch

Pass by Ginza, Imperial Palace

2 pm Meiji shrine 

3 pm Gotokuji (Cat Temple)

4 pm Harajuku 

4:30 pm Migpig.

5:15 drop off at Hotel Century Southern tower in Shibuya.

Drop off is still a little fuzzy but Migpig is near the hotel and the guide will be flexible.

Anyway, please let me know if you want to join us for one of these tours.  Note that for Tokyo, we change the standard tour to see the Cat Temple as well as the Migpig cafe.  My daughter is an animal lover so other animal lovers might appreciate these stops. 🙂. And, even if you are not joining us, I hope that our plans w/ prices might help you with your planning!!!!  

For the other stops, we booked ship tours when they were heavily discounted.  We like to explore independently as well, but I have a bad knee and don't know what the weather will be like.  Also, if it rains, I'm sure we'll make adjustments as needed.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mom39 said:

If anyone on this thread is doing the Celebrity cruise on June 8, please note that I have booked private excursions for myself and my teenage daughter for: 1) Osaka/Kyoto overnight; 2) Busan, and 3) Tokyo.  I am looking for one group of 1-3 to join us and share the cost.  

1) For Osaka/Kyoto: Mr. Hiro (English speaking) will charge us $800 for pick up and drop off at port as well as being an English Tour Guide.  We are paying separately for our hotel, tea ceremony, and rickshaw ride near the Bamboo Forest.  We would like to add people and share this this cost ($200 per person if we add two people).  Mr. Hiro will pick us up on 6/11 at 8am at the port and drop us at the hotel in Kyoto at 4 pm.  I privately booked a room at the Hotel Granvia Kyoto, which is above the train station, for $120 USD.  I also privately booked wearing a kimono and attending a tea ceremony in Gion at 2 pm for around $50/per person.  We have reservations for 2 at Kura Kura (on our own--and this might be filling up).  We will see the Fushimi Inari Shrine.  For 6/12, Mr. Hiro will pick us up at 8 am at the hotel and drop us off at the ship by 2 pm.  He will take us to Arashiyama.  We are separately booking a rickshaw there for around $70 for the two of us for 30 minutes (but you would not need to do this).

2) For Busan, our private English-speaking guide is charging us $355 (which we can split so if we add two people it will be around $88 per person.  He is taking us to the following places and we will pay entrance fees and lunch separately (not included in tour price but also not expensive):  Blue Line Capsule, Haeundae Beach, Dongbaek Island & APEC House, Oryukdo Skywalk, Songdo Marine Cable Car, Beomeosa Temple, Huinnyeoul Culture Village, Gwangalli Beach, X-the -Sky, UN Memorial Cemetery, Magnate, Busan tower, Youngdusan park.

3) For Tokyo, we are paying $595 for an English-speaking guide.  He will pick us up at the port around 9:15 a.m. and drop us off at the hotel around 5:15 p.m. We are staying at the Hotel Century Southern Tower in Shibuya for around $550 for two nights (the guide might just drop us off at the Micpig cafe around 4 and take our luggage to the hotel).  The tour will include the following: 

10 am Yanaka area 

12 am Akihabara 

Lunch

Pass by Ginza, Imperial Palace

2 pm Meiji shrine 

3 pm Gotokuji (Cat Temple)

4 pm Harajuku 

4:30 pm Migpig.

5:15 drop off at Hotel Century Southern tower in Shibuya.

Drop off is still a little fuzzy but Migpig is near the hotel and the guide will be flexible.

Anyway, please let me know if you want to join us for one of these tours.  Note that for Tokyo, we change the standard tour to see the Cat Temple as well as the Migpig cafe.  My daughter is an animal lover so other animal lovers might appreciate these stops. 🙂. And, even if you are not joining us, I hope that our plans w/ prices might help you with your planning!!!!  

For the other stops, we booked ship tours when they were heavily discounted.  We like to explore independently as well, but I have a bad knee and don't know what the weather will be like.  Also, if it rains, I'm sure we'll make adjustments as needed.  

A few clarifications.  Mr. Hiro's charge of $800 is for port to port overnight, so it is for two days, 8am-4pm ish on day 1 and 8am - 2 pm on day two.  Also, our Kura Kura reservations for 2 are for 7 p.m. and we plan to walk from our hotel (hotel is only $120 so I think it is a good choice).  Any question, let me know.  I have read that June is a rainy season, but my child is in school so June is our best choice and for me it is better than the August heat!!!  Also, I think all the places I reference can bo Googled.  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

@Northern Aurora please can you say which route you took to the deer 🦌 as I have seen two different routes recommended?

Did you take Osakako station green line to Bentencho and the the Osaka loop line to Nara?

Or did you take Osakako green Chou line to Ikoma station, connecting ticket to kinetsu Nara line line A, to kinetsu Nara ? 

thanks.

How much were the train tickets? 

Edited by little britain

On 3/27/2024 at 11:32 AM, BP99 said:

Hi,

We have been on a Japan Millennium cruise that is close to what

you are planing. IT WAS AWESOME!! It was one of the BEST cruises

we have been on (60 cruises and 4 more this year). The ship is small BUT excellent! Shows were good! Excellent food and service. Not really a cruise that I would take young kids. No water slides, bumper cars etc. We also spent an extra week in Japan and had a GREAT time. 

Some points on Japan:

1) The Japanese are really friendly and many speak English. In many

cities there are students (in uniform and clipboards) that want to speak

to you in English (part of there home work). The Japanese also cue

in line - unlike many other countries. Even for the trains they cue in line!!

2) we found the Hotels in all the major cities (Osaka, Tokyo, Yokohama}

are less expensive than comparable hotels in USA/Canada/Europe/Australia. The hotels were spotless and many included a free breakfast (with 2 sections-Japanese food and North American). Some hotels included slippers at the door, pyjamas on the bed!

3) easy to travel from city to city by train. The bullet train was GREAT:

4) LOTS to see in each city! We loved the temples. The city of Nara and

the temple in the park were fun. Especially feeding the deer which run

around the park and even in the city!

I could go on but...

Bill

Bill we are planning on doing the milli cruise Japan to Korea 12 nights in may 2025. Can I ask a few questions if you don't mind:

- did you book private or group excursions at any of the stops ?

- is it advisable to take the drinks package when booking. We are 2 adults and 1 teen , so 2 non drinkers. Do you know how much it is if it is purchased separately afterwards ?

- is it advisable to select the gratuity charge  when booking 

- is the gym/ or classes and extra fee on the ship 

- can an e-sim work instead of purchasing wifi on board.

Sorry tons of questions ..first timers 😊 

1 hour ago, Holly.ers said:

Bill we are planning on doing the milli cruise Japan to Korea 12 nights in may 2025. Can I ask a few questions if you don't mind:

We did all the stops on our own. Most were walkable. we used

maps and did our research before we left.

1 hour ago, Holly.ers said:

- is it advisable to take the drinks package when booking. We are 2 adults and 1 teen , so 2 non drinkers. Do you know how much it is if it is purchased separately afterwards ?

The drink package is very expensive and must be bought for both. I think?

the price is the same buying on board? Also they may email you with

"special prices" if you pre buy.We are Elite and get 4 drinks free each day.

You will be charged the gratuity automatically. You can pay it in advance

or when you board if you don't want to pay it after the cruise on your

credit card. 

No. The gym is included. I think most classes are included. 

I don't think it will work? Not sure since I don't use one.

No problem!!

Have a GREAT cruise!!!

Bill

3 hours ago, Holly.ers said:

I don't want to encourage gambling necessarily.  But, I like to play a little black jack on cruises (even though I know the odds are bad).  Drinks are free in the casino while you are gambling on Celebrity.  And, the drinks are good.  So, if you don't drink a lot, you can sit down for a few hands and enjoy a cocktail.  I don't drink much, But, I do enjoy a nice Moito, Lemon Martini, etc., every once in. while. I never purchase the drink package.

13 hours ago, little britain said:

@Northern Aurora please can you say which route you took to the deer 🦌 as I have seen two different routes recommended?

Did you take Osakako station green line to Bentencho and the the Osaka loop line to Nara?

Or did you take Osakako green Chou line to Ikoma station, connecting ticket to kinetsu Nara line line A, to kinetsu Nara ? 

thanks.

How much were the train tickets? 

We had one route mapped out, but talked to the visitor info folks inside the Tempozan Wharf terminal.  What we had mapped out would have worked, but they recommended a slightly different route.  This question must be asked frequently as they had a printed handout with directions.

We boarded the Osaka Metro at station C11 (green Chou line).  We got off at the Ikomo Station (C27 ).  There we boarded the Kintetsu rapid express to Nara.  With the Kintetsu line you walk out of the station at ground level.  There is a fountain on your right.    Stay on the right and within five minutes you will be in the deer park.  

The cost was 960 yen per person each way, so less than 4000 yen total for two of us.  The same ticket was used for both the metro and train.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Holly.ers said:

I am posting from the Millennium on the first leg of a B2B.  We also did a B2B in Japan in 2018.  

We have/had significant non refundable on board credit on these trips so have booked several shore excursions through Celebrity.  But Japan is such a safe country that if you are comfortable navigating their transit system it is easy to visit a number of attractions on your own.

Our loyalty level provides both a premium beverage package and premium wi-fi so have not paid attention to pricing for years.  

If you do not opt for pre-paid gratuities the gratuities will be charged to your account daily.  You can check your account daily on the stateroom TV.

Certain classes in the gym have a charge.  But use of the equipment such as rowing machines and so forth is free.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, little britain said:

I have never heard of drinks in casino 🎰 being free but I haven’t been on X for a few years! 

Drinks are free while you are gambling.  I've been at the roulette table and seen players served free drinks but have never paid attention to see if it was just beer or mixed drink (bar brands) as well.  

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Drinks are free while you are gambling.  I've been at the roulette table and seen players served free drinks but have never paid attention to see if it was just beer or mixed drink (bar brands) as well.  

I had better not tell DH!!