Poll on Celebrity Cruises' President

a350flyer

On 10/16/2023 at 8:45 PM, sixpackeddie said:

This is a very informative video, that has fact checking. Worth watching.

Tom Sunday is the one YouTuber reviewers whom I take most seriously.  He doesn’t pull punches and calls it as he sees it.  He’s balanced.  Laura is not as she lies right to the camera, defending the indefensible.

There is only one poll that tracks reality:   People opening their wallets to get on a ship.

The one caveat of course is whether prices have been discounted to fill the ship.

Repeat passengers know that a change has occurred in the value of the experience.

Those that don't follow CC or other media don't know what they have missed.... until next time.

In the long run, repeat customers are the source of stability.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

There is only one poll that tracks reality:   People opening their wallets to get on a ship.

The one caveat of course is whether prices have been discounted to fill the ship.

Repeat passengers know that a change has occurred in the value of the experience.

Those that don't follow CC or other media don't know what they have missed.... until next time.

In the long run, repeat customers are the source of stability.

Like nearly all of the travel industry, they use demand driven dynamic pricing.  This is why routinely E-Class SV cost more than CC or AQ

25 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like nearly all of the travel industry, they use demand driven dynamic pricing.  This is why routinely E-Class SV cost more than CC or AQ

But they appear to be ignoring their frequent cruisers ...  Which I would value more as a company leader...

15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

New cruisers do not know of the high quality of the old Celebrity...  

Compare the new Celebrity to a land vacation and perhaps it is a toss up.

Seasoned Celebrity cruisers expect more ...

On my first Celebrity cruise I was blown away by the difference between a land vacation and a Celebrity cruise.  I don't think that is the case any more.

I agree 100%. Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Horizon to Bermuda in 1992. No Balconies, no "over the top Amenities"!!!! Just service & food that was always fantastic (Crepes Suzettes and Banasters Foster made tableside by the Maitre'd) . When formal meant formal for both both Guests & Staff which made the vacation experience very special as opposed to a land trip.  Plus dinners were always leisurely with plenty of time to make it to the evenings great entertainment.....because the ships weren't oversold!!!      

Our upcoming January Apex cruise will determine if we will continue booking with Celebrity. Elite+ status is no longer the incentive!!!!! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

I agree 100%. Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Horizon to Bermuda in 1992. No Balconies, no "over the top Amenities"!!!! Just service & food that was always fantastic (Crepes Suzettes and Banasters Foster made tableside by the Maitre'd) . When formal meant formal for both both Guests & Staff which made the vacation experience very special as opposed to a land trip.  Plus dinners were always leisurely with plenty of time to make it to the evenings great entertainment.....because the ships weren't oversold!!!      

Our upcoming January Apex cruise will determine if we will continue booking with Celebrity. Elite+ status is no longer the incentive!!!!! 

That were the days. Remember them well.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

They need to realize that some of the younger demographic don't have the money. 

Guess it depends what you mean by younger. I’m 40, but at this point my spouse and I can save up for an annual vacation. Just a reminder millennials started turning 40, 3 years ago.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

Guess it depends what you mean by younger. I’m 40, but at this point my spouse and I can save up for an annual vacation. Just a reminder millennials started turning 40, 3 years ago.

Only one cruise a year?  I am not sure what the average is for this board but many take 3 to 20 cruises per year.  Let us suppose that the average is 5 for this board.  They would have to replace every cruiser on this board with 5 millennials.

Seems like a mathematical improbability...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

They need to realize that some of the younger demographic don't have the money. 

Or the time. Most younger people tend to work which limits their vacation time. I mentioned this to the President when I saw her on Equinox. I also mentioned to the person of sales that Celebrity should focus on what made them successful in the past.

• Like 4

On a serious note, maybe that means you are out of touch with what the rest of the “normal” people want because the ships are still sailing full. Seriously what percentage of folks do you think cruise that much? 

Edited by georgiaguy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

Actually on that note. I am done responding here or looking at this thread because frankly I don’t care enough to keep discussing.

Frankly, that sounds like a sour note.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Only one cruise a year?  I am not sure what the average is for this board but many take 3 to 20 cruises per year.  Let us suppose that the average is 5 for this board.  They would have to replace every cruiser on this board with 5 millennials.

Seems like a mathematical improbability...

Three months of the year for us, an average of 9 a year for three decades.

• Like 1

Most companies do internal polling and may also use professional polling to gauge/guide them.  I used to work for a company that did some work for/with banks.  It was interesting discussing some of the results with a few in management.  

In one case, they used the term "scorched earth".  By their own modeling they knew, per the model, what percent of customers would leave the bank and take their money with them.  They also knew what percentage of customers would complain and most likely do nothing.  Using those metrics, they could calculate a purchase price that would be an acreative purchase of another bank.

Celebrity is not stupid.  They also know that most if not every cruise line is doing similar changes to they offerings.

To those planning to leave, just be sure you are not going from the skillet to the frying pan.

We like Celberity, but hate many of the cutbacks, hate the much higher fares.  We have tried other cruise lines in the last few years and for most part not much difference.  As only one example, we diverted to HAL's Rotterdam this past year and it was excellent in the musical entertainment category or no different (within reason) in other areas to Celebrity.  So, we have booked another Rotterdam sailing.  

I am taking my own advice and we are now booking with Itineraries and price we feel matches the value offered along with the hope/knowledge that our top preferences are still offered.  Will it always work out?  No, but we no longer give Celebrity 'brownie points or a starting edge" and NOT all cutbacks effect us in our value proposition.   

Again, we like Celebrity but have found that Carnival and HAL  are okay for us too.  We also have a few Royal Caribbean cruises scheduled with the grands and Celebrity cannot compete with kid featured amenities.

Finally, we are planning lots of land based trips, so for us at least, cruising is not the only option and Celebrity is not the only choice.

Edited by shipshape sam
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Orator said:

Or the time. Most younger people tend to work which limits their vacation time. I mentioned this to the President when I saw her on Equinox. I also mentioned to the person of sales that Celebrity should focus on what made them successful in the past.

The "younger people" cruisers have evolved into global nomads.  Their mantra;  have fast WiFi, will travel, and always be on the move.  Now, with X's reliable and fast Starlink internet, this new crop of travelers will work from the ship, and the number of these travelers is bound to soar.  Definitely, a demographic X is targeting since traditional office work is decreasing and remote is on the rise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjfship said:

The "younger people" cruisers have evolved into global nomads.  Their mantra;  have fast WiFi, will travel, and always be on the move.  Now, with X's reliable and fast Starlink internet, this new crop of travelers will work from the ship, and the number of these travelers is bound to soar.  Definitely, a demographic X is targeting since traditional office work is decreasing and remote is on the rise.

My friends are in their 60’s and ‘70’s and still working on the ship because of the better wifi 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

My friends are in their 60’s and ‘70’s and still working on the ship because of the better wifi 😁

Exactly!  I'm a business owner and Starlink now affords me the luxury of cruising two transatlantics a year along with a few more during other time periods.  Game changer!

Edited by mjfship